Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy New Year: I Ate Your PowerBook

Happy New Year: I Ate Your PowerBook
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:30 AM

My dog chewed up my PowerBook last night. It's not too bad, needed a new keyboard and has a couple of marks on the edge, so it'll live, but it bummed me out in a big way. I have an extra keyboard, actually, so I snapped it in and other than a slight mark here and there and a dent over of the left grill/speaker, it looks fine. Could have been MUCH worse so I'm happy it isn't.

She's always been a chewer (she's a puppy and they chew, period) and she's always had her toys. Last night, though, I left her in my office area with chew toys and went to take a shower. She was happy and content when I left.

Came back 30 minutes later and she shredded her dog blanket, my backup DVDs for my Mac, and yes, my PowerBook.

I yelled at her and put her in her kennel and went to sleep. This morning I am pissed off, but I have to look at it as being my fault. She was actually on a leash that was tethered to my desk because she's a puppy still and I don't allow her to run around the house unsupervised. Still, she reached up, got the things off my desk, and chewed them.

It's my fault. I shouldn't have left them within her reach. Any dog will chew, I know.

But, I'm bummed and just looking for cheap sympathy.

Personally, I think she did it because she's too smart. She was acting out earlier in the night and I put her in her crate (she was stealing cookies from my children) and I think she was pissed about it and was getting back at me for it. Who knows. Maybe it was that and maybe it's just that she knew that I choose the PowerBook over her at times (I have to work) and this was her way of getting back at me.

And maybe it's just that three chew toys weren't enough for her and she wanted to chew up a PowerBook specifically.

Anyway, this was a first for her. Normally she's sweet and loving and perfect.

Happy New Year to me from my dog.

But, Happy New Year to all of you.

Anyone else have similar stories regarding their animals? If you do please share. Maybe I'll feel better.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:34 AM

Holy crap you post tons
we don't have time to stop for gas

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 11:42 AM

Inquiring minds. Let the kiddo ask questions to her content...

And happy new year Ms Dawg.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

My dog has chewed up no less than three TiVo remotes. Why TiVo remotes and not the other ones? I guess they're curvy, and look more like black rubber chew bones.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:48 AM

Whew. Thanks, Dork. I need the support that is given when people have suffered through similar anguishes and share with me.

Anyone else?

What do you do, anyway? Cry? Get mad? Yell? I just pointed at the mess, gritted my teeth, and said, "Bad dog! VERRRRY BADDDD DOGGG!" She ran right to her kennel and sat in there and I slammed the door shut.

She knew she'd done something very naughty.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 12:02 PM

My dog is also still a puppy (~7 months old), and likes to chew on the kids' toys, socks, shoes, etc. The DVD remote has several teeth marks in it (though still works), and he even got a hold of my eyeglasses once. Damn dog.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 12:05 PM

Okay, so some of these stories are stories that are on the edge.

The damage is minimal...so far.

Let's hear some stories about total devastation? I might feel better.

Cats can do things, also, not just dogs, I hear.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 01:11 PM

Wasn't there someone who had a golden retriever, 3 kids, and a Titanium Powerbook that was plugged in, kids and dog running around, tripping on the electric cord, and the whole thing went from kitchen to downstairs by way of rolling down the concrete stairs?

I am sure I saw this here.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 01:15 PM

Wow.

I think I do remember that. I think I also remember someone's cat urinating on their PowerBook also.

Hmm...

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2006, 01:24 PM

a few years ago my dog spent christmas eve opening the presents under the tree

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 01:52 PM

One of my dogs, he is just one year old, likes to chew every piece of plastic he can find… the another one likes to lick the rear bumper of the car, I find that weird :-/

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

Happy New Year, Cody! While I was overseas, my wife's (then puppy) German Shepherd decided to eat the remote for the entire entertainment system. Satellite, amp, VCR, DVD player, everything was programmed on that remote. My wife had a hard time containing her laughter; of all the things the puppy could have chewed to pieces, he decided to kill the TV by eating the remote! After inventorying the pieces to see that he hadn't actually swallowed anything, she scolded the dog (with dead remote guts in front of him to show him what she was talking about) and put him back in obedience "boot camp" for a while.

Chewing is just something dogs do, so give the pup something else to chew-with your obvious approval-and everything should be fine. If the behavior remains, there's something wrong, maybe with the dog's mouth, and he needs to see his vet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 02:31 PM

Hi Cody,

Happy that your PowerBook is still alright.

Over the years our dogs have done a lot of crazy things. Can't remember anything in particular that did any permanent damage.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
a few years ago my dog spent christmas eve opening the presents under the tree

so did mine. I brought him home a few days before x-mas. On the eve the family went to party. When we returned he had opened all the presents and made sweet, sweet lovin' to a huge white teddy bear my father bought from FAO Schwartz for my mother(very, very expensive). There were stains all over it and when we found him, he was asleep next to the bear and they were spooning! Wrapping paper all around them. My fathers present to the dog, letting him live.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 05:39 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2006, 02:24 AM

Cody Dawg,

A good way to teach dogs to not chew stuff is to get realistic looking electrically charged meat scented bones that, when chewed on, shock the dog. I haven't actually tried it, but I think it might work.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 03:45 PM

Maybe Cody will post some pictures for us.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2006, 04:12 PM

That's the reason why I have a pet turtle.

It doesn't chew on things, never wants to be walked, makes no noises, just the perfect animal

-t

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
That's the reason why I have a pet turtle.

It doesn't chew on things, never wants to be walked, makes no noises, just the perfect animal

-t
.........and if you want to take a vacation, you just pop it in the fridge and it hybernates until you return*

* don't quote me on that one

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 06:19 PM

Is that true? It will hibernate in the refrigerator?

I don't really believe that...but I've been wrong before.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hi Cody,

I think that I would be afraid to try that, would feel that it was cruel. Although animals do hibernate in the world. I would have trouble being a researcher.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Is that true? It will hibernate in the refrigerator?
I don't really believe that...but I've been wrong before.
No, it's not that easy. But almost.

My automatic feeder holds food for 3-4 weeks, and when I fill up the tank to the top, water is good for many weeks. So yes, I can just leave it by itself on automatic feeding.

-t

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 06:39 PM

"Automatic feeding" is a LOT different from putting a turtle IN the refrigerator.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2006, 06:48 PM

tortoise's hibernate. I dont know about turtles though.

ps this is my 50th post

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 06:50 PM

Congratulations on #50.

Now you are a "Member" I see.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
tortoise's hibernate. I dont know about turtles though.
Both do. But not if you just stick em in the freezer. They need an adjusting period and slowly dropping temperatures to get their body adjusted.

-t

skalie
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
freezer
fridge

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 08:21 PM

i have the most messed up dog there is, the only human thing she touches is paper. when ever there is paper left in the car with her when i come back the paper has been sreadded and is all over the car. I have accedentally left my dinner on the floor and she didnt touch it i dont know whats wrong with her
Strangers have the best candy

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 10:28 PM

got a new north face fleece 3 years ago, yellow lab about year and half old chewed the corner of the front zipper. he also took down a nice case i snagged for my ipod 4 years ago, sadly the head phones got it, but thankfully the ipod was fine.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 10:48 PM

pix please
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 11:44 PM

I'm very sorry about that. I love dogs, and I know that this is part of pet ownership, but I'd be incredibly hacked off, especially having just shelled out $1,800 for a PBook.

But we all know the love one of those mutts give us is enough to compensate for a few tragedies such as this.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 3, 2006, 01:25 AM

I have a turtle, his name is Henry, he hibernates during winter. He is actually a tortoise, but it's more fun to say turtle.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 01:51 AM

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 02:16 AM

Send him to doggy obediance camp.... all dogs that live in homes with anything of value should go
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2006, 06:14 AM

Maybe 10 years ago or so, I was visiting my brother's with my dad. It was for my bro's wedding, actually. He had this dog who was very naughty when no one was around, and also one little terrier. My dad also had his dog along for the trip (one of the smartest dogs I've ever known).

We were going to the wedding rehearsal and my dad decided to set up his l33t VHS camera to record the livingroom where the dogs were, knowing the one dog had the tendency to be naughty.

We got home to a trashed livingroom. This brand new, expensive area rug given as a wedding present was shredded. The couch had holes in it. Things were thrown everywhere. Doggy vandalism. We watched the tape, and of course the one dog initiated it. My bro's little terrier joined in some of the fun, under the influence of his bigger doggy roommate.

My dad's dog actually stayed off camera the entire night, laying behind the couch. Her one appearance in the whole thing was when she slowly crawled under the end table to the front of the couch, grabbed her own leash which one dog had brought out there, and slowly pulled it back off camera where she stayed the rest of the night. It was priceless.

I wish we still had that video.

Forum Links
Forum Rules