Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PC with Cinema Display Advice

PC with Cinema Display Advice
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 09:29 PM

I am contemplating blowing my wad on a new cinema display- and until I have the extra cash for a G5- getting a cheap pc that will run on the display. I am looking for advice on a cheap pc box with dvi capability, adequate graphics, etc. I'd love to get something that will work "out of the box". It's been a while since I've been on the market for a PC, so I am looking for advice on a cheap box that will adequately run the 23" cinema display, preferably in an off-the-shelf model.

I have read various posts on graphics cards, etc. Now, if someone could tell me if they have knowledge or experience that might make my purchase swift and easy- it will make it less painful for me to toy with a PC.

Thanks.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 09:48 PM

Can't help you out with the PC thing, but I would recommend getting a G5 instead of a display. The computer counts way more then the monitor. I'd rather have a G5 with a crappy monitor than any PC with a cinema display.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 10:52 PM

I totally agree, but for the moment, my biggest goal is to be able to view radiographs (xrays) via a teleradiography system. In my experience, most teleradiography systems are based around Windows. Not sure if that is still true?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by surferboy:
I totally agree, but for the moment, my biggest goal is to be able to view radiographs (xrays) via a teleradiography system. In my experience, most teleradiography systems are based around Windows. Not sure if that is still true?
Depends on how the images are being sent to you.

I'm a radiologist (presently for the University of Michigan, shortly moving to the Christiana Health System in Delaware). Most teleradiology systems are PC-based, particularly if they use a proprietary system. It would help if you knew the vendor(s) you'll be dealing with.

There is a MacOS X-based system called OsiriX. It recently won some awards from the RSNA at the last meeting in Chicago. Its an open-source, free solution, and its quite full-featured. Its still in active development, and does have a few bugs and crashers, but its quite functional depending on what exactly you need.

It has a DICOM retrieve function that I believe will function across different subnets. Not sure about its built-in DICOM server.

If you want a Mac-based solution, another option is to set up an FTP server the Mac, and let the sending party FTP cases to your machine in DICOM format.

I do have one suggestion, however. And this depends on what you'll be viewing via telerad. For CT/MR/US, the Apple 20" and 23" will be fine. If you're going to be reading many plainfilms, particularly standard PA/Lat CXRs, you'll find the widescreen format of the Apple displays a bit on the short side. My advice for these images is a 20" 4:3 format LCD that supports display rotation. I have a "Brand D" 2001FP, and when I need to view an upright exam, I can swivel it into portrait mode and have a 1200x1600 display - almost exactly half the resolution (and same aspect ratio) as a standard 2K PACS monitor. Its a big help.

I do not recommend anything less than 20" LCDs for radiologic images. Trying to work with such images on something like a 1280x1024 pixel display is too confining for anything other than a one-on-one CT/MR/US hanging protocol. Trying to fit a 4-on-1 512x512 matrix CT on a standard 17"/18"/19" LCD could result in each image being below diagnostic quality (loosing pixels to make four 512x512 images fit on a 1280x1024 display).

I can supply some interesting references if you're interested.

Of course, if your institution has a web-based distribution system (like the Stentor or Siemens web distribution systems), then you should be able to use any platform you wish (PC or Mac), though to be honest I've never tried the Stentor system via Safari or Mozilla/Firefox. Again, it would help if you had more specifics, then I could advise further.

Oh, by the way, the current retail ATI graphics cards for the Mac support display rotation. The OEM ATI/nVidia cards do not.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 01:48 PM

Oh, and one more thing.

The aluminum 20" and 23" Apple Cinema Displays will work out of the box on most PCs. As long as the video card supports the widescreen resolutions (and most current mid and high-end video cards do; not too sure about integrated video solutions however), you shouldn't have a problem.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 07:25 PM

This is fantastic info. Exactly what I was looking for and more. I am an Orthopedist. My goal is primarily to decided intertroch versus femoral neck before coming into the ER, etc. However, it would be very nice to look at my own MRI's and CT- but again, only musculoskeletal stuff.

I will do a little digging. Our hospital PACS is supposed to be up within the next few months. Would you be willing to let me email you when I get more information?

There are new price drops on the cinema displays- may be enough to convince my wife that I need one of those beasts!

Thanks!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by surferboy:
This is fantastic info. Exactly what I was looking for and more. I am an Orthopedist. My goal is primarily to decided intertroch versus femoral neck before coming into the ER, etc. However, it would be very nice to look at my own MRI's and CT- but again, only musculoskeletal stuff.

I will do a little digging. Our hospital PACS is supposed to be up within the next few months. Would you be willing to let me email you when I get more information?

There are new price drops on the cinema displays- may be enough to convince my wife that I need one of those beasts!

Thanks!
Sure. Just send me a private message whenever you wish. Best of luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules