Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen has vertical lines when starting up MacBook

Screen has vertical lines when starting up MacBook (Page 2)
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 06:21 PM

.... does it work?

EDIT: do any of you guys find it interesting how if you individually ask someone from Apple they'll tell you how to fix it, but they can't just post it somewhere as public knowledge and say they'll fix it? *sigh* Apple is one of the best out of all the corporations that control the computer market, but I think all large corporations suck, honestly.
( Last edited by Dillon-K; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:49 PM. )
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2006, 01:03 PM

The AASP called today, my machine was having both the vertical line problem, and random shutdowns, they have a logic board on order.

CH

yoyo123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 09:32 AM

About 4 years ago, I bought an iBook G3 and started having this EXACT problem after about 3 months of use. It turned out to be a defect in their manufacturing process and I had to get a new logicboard and harddrive. Unfortunately, it happened THREE MORE TIMES over the course of TWO years. Finally after the fourth logicboard died they replaced my entire laptop with an iBook G4 and I have not had a problem ever since. I sincerely, hope this is not a repeat of what I went through. If so, I will NOT be getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro anytime soon.
Configuration
Mac OS X.3.5
Airport Extreme
Epson 777i
iBook G4 1GHz Combo Drive
iPod 1st Generation 5GB
Palm Tungsten | C
Celeron 466 with Mandrake Linux and Win 2000 Pro

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2006, 04:20 PM

The vertical lines/no startup problem just got to my macbook 1.83 (my 2nd refurbished model from Apple).

I zapped the PRAM, it boot up, and then I changed the display resolution as Dave mentioned and now no vertical lines.

The battery would not take a charge on this unit, and Apple sent me a new battery which I thought would fix the issue, but the brand new battery does not charge (there is no light on the magsafe when it's plugged in). I reset the pmu, re-seated the ram with no luck. Bummer........I guess I'll go to compUSA and plug in one of their AC adaptors in case I have a faulty one, but I doubt it's the AC adaptor. Bummer.....

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 02:45 PM

^ What resolution did you change to?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 04:36 PM

Well I broke down and brought it to the Apple store. The Genius thought it could be a software issue, given that I told him about the most recent software update I did. However, after trying to boot up from an external drive, the display still showed the vertical lines. So he gave me the look of despair, said it was a hardware failure and I had to send it in...so I am without my beloved MacBook for 1 week Why me.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2006, 11:08 PM

I changed it to one off of the max resolution, 1152 by 720.

Haven't tried a different power supply yet....

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Phil333
Threads like this make me want to wait at least a month before buying my MB.
Crap...mine arrives tomorrow!

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 11:29 AM

Ok I'm pissed. Got my MacBook back yesterday. Initially, it started up normally. However, this morning I startup and guess what I see. Lines. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! Weren't they supposed to fix this?!?! What do I do now?

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2006, 10:16 AM

Are you using it w/ an external monitor at all?

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 10:52 AM

No, I do not use it with an external monitor. Anyway, I took it to the apple store and they are just as baffled given that it's just been in for repair. Well, it got sent back again. Sigh.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 10, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Merten
I spoke with Apple today and was given new instructions on a fix for the "colored vertical lines at startup" issue.

1. Shut the computer off.

2. Restart holding the Option-Command-R-P keys down, wait for three "bongs" and release keys. MacBook should boot normal with no lines.

3. Next, open your System Preferences control panel and open "Displays" in there. Now change your current resolution setting to some other resolution and then switch it back to your current setting. Close preferences and reboot to test. It should keep rebooting normal without the lines.

Man this was a life saver just got my Macbook back from apple care today and this started. You saved the day
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Man this was a life saver just got my Macbook back from apple care today and this started. You saved the day
Where would the world be without MacNN???

I got a new power supply and it charges my battery, so I'm happy. Diggin' the Macbook now

mymacluvsme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 08:59 PM

Had the same thing, along with the random shutdown issue. It's in for repair now as I'm typing this on a peecee. yuk.....
"my pc hates me, but..."

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 01:21 PM

Is the solution really that simple? If so, I am so pissed that I had to send it back to Apple TWICE and have the problem still be unresolved. Ugh. I will try that when I get it back.

vandelay
Aug 13, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Merten
I spoke with Apple today and was given new instructions on a fix for the "colored vertical lines at startup" issue.

1. Shut the computer off.

2. Restart holding the Option-Command-R-P keys down, wait for three "bongs" and release keys. MacBook should boot normal with no lines.

3. Next, open your System Preferences control panel and open "Displays" in there. Now change your current resolution setting to some other resolution and then switch it back to your current setting. Close preferences and reboot to test. It should keep rebooting normal without the lines.

Thank you! This worked for me.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2006, 08:11 PM

Well, I just got my book back today that was on an extended, three week holiday in Kentucky getting repaired for plastic staining and random shutdowns. Lugging a 20 inch iMac back and forth to work everyday was making me...uhm, a little frustrated, you could say. Already being gnarled at my recent experience with Apple - wham!

Installed the Security Update 2006-04, restarted and - same problem with the screen going nuts. Apple really needs to be testing this stuff out better - 10.4.7 update and now this one?

This thing was packed and ready to go back to Apple permanently tomorrow and I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone had the problem, too. And, low and behold...

The "fix"/"trick" works!

WWolter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 04:26 PM

As a new Dutch Macbook user I encountered the start-up vertical lines problem last sunday (after software update!). The Apple Center in The Hague couldn't help, didn't know about the problem and took my Macbook for repair (to be sent to a repair center next week so I will be without McBk fo several weeks).
I am really interested if the "3 step Dave Merten solution" helps in the long run or it might be related to a hardware problem (logic board). If this is the real solution I will pick my McBk before it is forwarded for repair.

mauiscion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 03:42 AM

I just got my mac book back from Apple it was in for blown speakers. First day back after using it for one day. I turned it on in the evening and I got the vertical line syndrome going. Mahalo to all the users that shared there experiences. Especially Dave Merten. I did as he said and it works great!

David W.

alpinegroove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 07:13 PM

The Apple Store has had my MB for 3.5 weeks as they are trying to figure out a fix for the vertical lines. Last night, I was told that they were going to replace the motherboard and video card.
Today I got a phone call from an excited genius saying that they have figured it out. He said: all you have to do if it happens again is zap the PRAM. Great news. That is what I have done in the first place before bringing it into the store.
He said they have gotten news from Apple Engineering today saying that replacing hardware will not fix the problem. Instead, the fix, as others have mentioned above, is to zap the PRAM, change the resolution, and then change it back.
He said that is all that Apple could do for me at the moment. 3 weeks!!! How ingenious!!!

nickw311
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 02:39 PM

I had that problem and this fixed it.
http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...et-pram-every/
27" iMac C2D

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 06:45 PM

Glad you guys solved it. I however sold that darn thing and went to a 17" PB 1.67. :-D It was fun while it lasted...

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mmike70
I'd be interested if someone else can try this out who is having the problem, or at least see what nvram -p shows.
I've experienced the same issue on my macbook.

nvram -p says :
SystemAudioVolume r

Forum Links
Forum Rules