Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Keyboard doesn't work when installing Windows

Keyboard doesn't work when installing Windows
basskika
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hi,

I've installed boot camp and am in the windows XP setup. The problem is the keyboard doesn't work, so I cannot click enter to continue the installation. I have tried using an external USB keyboard but that doesn't work either...

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2006, 08:15 PM

I'd start over. Boot Camp should have prperlyconfigured your laptop (you didn't say which one-you didn't even say explicitly that you're using a laptop) to recognize the keyboard. That means that something didn't quite go right, so you should probably just restore your machine to pre-Boot Camp status and start again.

Oh, and WELCOME to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

litld009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 02:12 PM

That wasnt the problem, i have been having the same issue, and restored to a single partition and then split them again. When i have the XP cd installed and restart the computer, right when i can type in the F6 or F2 option, i have control of the keyboard, sometimes i can get into F2 sometimes i cant. and then after those options leave, the keyboard freezes up again and i am just stuck there. Should i update my computer in the mac environment? I have tried a USB keyboard but that also did not work.

I am outta ideas, anyone else have any good ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help

litld009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 01:13 AM

Thank you ALL for helping me out SOOO much, well I did make a very rookie error, so if anyone else happens to be having the same issue, when they mean you NEED to have SP2 to install the windows, that means you need to have SP2. If you dont, the keyboard will freeze up when it installs, Something about SP2 that installs more while the setup is loading.

So yes i am an idiot, i didnt know which version of the cd i had, cuz i was using an educational version, and aparently it was SP1. So moral of the story, listen to the people who know what they are talking about, and Slip-Streaming worked perfectly, wasnt overly difficult either.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2006, 11:51 AM

Interesting... I didn't know that SP2 did things so much differently from SP1. This is a good one to keep on hand.

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 06:40 AM

I have the Answer as i haev just install XP and i had the same problem.

Use a USB mouse with a roller ball underneath not a IR or Optical and the Notebook will not send power through the USB.

Hope you get XP installed cant wait to get home and get gaming on it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 10:00 AM

I would really like to know how the signals from a roller-style USB mouse are different from an optical mouse's signals... It's supposed to be a standard signaling scheme you know.

On the other hand, it's possible that the other mouse you used, with its different USB signature (the manufacturer/device string all USB devices report to the controller) managed to wake up Windows to the fact that there was an actual device there. At the very least, using a DIFFERENT mouse, probably even one from a different manufacturer, should shake things up a bit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules