Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Made a rookie mistake on my macbook.

Made a rookie mistake on my macbook.
Garn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 08:24 PM

I deleted all the old proccesor architectures, so apparently I can't use rosetta for adobe products. I need to use photoshop, illustrator, quark etc. for school. How can I reinstall the old architectures from the OS X disks without rewriting my HD?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 09:28 PM

I guess that "Monolingual" made the mistake.

You need to perform an "Archive & Install" of the operating system.

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 09:32 PM

I just had a friend do this. Though he thought it was FINE to delete JUST the G3 stuff. I called him an idiot several times then told him to do an archive install. Do NOT, DO NOT, try to upgrade.. he ended up majorly fubaring his macbook. I don't know if he's fixed it yet.

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 05:02 AM

Reinstall OS its the only way!

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I guess that "Monolingual" made the mistake.

You need to perform an "Archive & Install" of the operating system.

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature
On a G4 DP 800/10.4.7, I too used Monolingual, but have since reinstalled all my UB apps and plugins.

If I were to use the Migration Assistant when I get a new Intel machine, will I too need to (first) do an Archive & Install or does that Monolingual problem only surface when Monolingual is run on an Intel machine?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 08:35 AM

It's an easy mistake to make, I did it on my Macbook too. The thing is the setting to delete those ppc files is on by default. It's fine to delete the ppc files from within applications that don't need them, i.e. iTunes etc. and monolingual knows to not delete them from rosetta apps, like Word. The problem is that it doesn't know not to delete system files that are required for Rosetta to run. It's really an oversight on the part of the developer.

To Pendragon, I don't think you'll have a problem. The issue only occurs when you run monolingual on an intel machine and delete the rosetta files by mistake.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 08:54 AM

"To Pendragon, I don't think you'll have a problem. The issue only occurs when you run monolingual on an intel machine and delete the rosetta files by mistake."

While it seems clear & logical (to me) that since I don't have/never had Rosetta, files, they could not have been deleted.

Yet, more than once, what seemed clear and logical to me, turned out not to be the case, ergo my question.

Many thanks monkeybrain!
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 10:09 AM

One of the greatest features of Mac OS X (you can have multiple architecture dependant binaries in one 'file') and people try and monkey around with it.... sigh !

Forum Links
Forum Rules