Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Ctrl-Alt-Del on MacBook Pro

Ctrl-Alt-Del on MacBook Pro
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2006, 09:32 AM

We've installed XP Pro on a MBP and joined a domain. In order to login, now we have to hit control-alt-delete on the keyboard to get the login screen. We've been having to hook up an external keyboard to do this and log on to the domain. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this on the MBP keyboard?

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 14, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ryarber
We've installed XP Pro on a MBP and joined a domain. In order to login, now we have to hit control-alt-delete on the keyboard to get the login screen. We've been having to hook up an external keyboard to do this and log on to the domain. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this on the MBP keyboard?
would ctrl+cmd+delete do the same thing?
as ever,
sonny

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2006, 01:38 PM

Wouldn't it be control + option + delete? I thought command mapped to the "windows" key. I have no way of testing this though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2006, 01:41 PM

I think the problem is the MBP not having a proper delete key. Does it work if you hold in fn to make backspace work like delete? (Don't know if the MBP's keyboard driver does that, but it would be handy if it did.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 04:00 PM

Use remapkey.exe to give yourself a delete key.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 14, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Wouldn't it be control + option + delete? I thought command mapped to the "windows" key. I have no way of testing this though.
the option is the windows key on my windows keyboard...

even though my mac option key says "alt" it's not so for windows...

i never thought about a macbook pro not having a proper delete key...

i wonder if you could assing one of the function keys as "delete"... hmm...

maybe i should shut up since i don't have macbook pro keyboard in front of me
as ever,
sonny

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2006, 08:28 PM

Control-Alt-Delete is a non-maskable interrupt; it's BIOS-based and hardware centric. I'm not sure it will work on a Mac that lacks the low-level hardware interrupt to talk to the OS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 01:51 PM

Try (CTRL - OPT - FN-DELETE). FN-DELETE is the delete function that is the equal of the delete button. Not sure if it willl work in Windows, in theory it should but I never tried it.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 14, 2006 at 04:40 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Control-Alt-Delete is a non-maskable interrupt; it's BIOS-based and hardware centric. I'm not sure it will work on a Mac that lacks the low-level hardware interrupt to talk to the OS.
According to the OP, the NMI does function when an external Windows keyboard is used.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
According to the OP, the NMI does function when an external Windows keyboard is used.
I noticed. But the question was how to do it natively on the MBP, so that's how I answered. It MAY be possible, but I still don't know if a Mac keyboard produces the proper code to trigger the NMI. Lacking the hardware to test this myself, I can't do more than urge more experimentation by others.

Nikhil72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2006, 11:58 PM

I have the same issue, can't hit those buttons--tried all the different combinations mentioned here, but still unable to. Thus, for any genius out there....HELP.

Thanks

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 05:43 AM

Check out the free ReMapKey utility from MS.

edit. Oops, missed Mithras' same response a few posts above. I think your sig blocked out your reply.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 02:41 PM

My IT person just updated my windows partition to log into a domain, and I had the same problem. For the record, ctrl-alt-fn-delete doesn't work. You have to remap an existing key to the forward-delete key. Once you do this, it works fine.

I remapped F12 to forward-delete. Use the remapkey.exe file linked in a previous post to do it. It's as easy as drag-and-drop.

You can also alter your local security policies so that ctrl-alt-delete isn't required to login. Follow the instructions here. I haven't tried them yet, but it looks so simple that I doubt anyone would have any problems with it.

Edit: The modification to the local security policies works like a charm. It's still convenient to have a forward-delete key, though, so the keyboard remap is still suggested.

Mark
( Last edited by markponcelet; May 11, 2006 at 09:55 PM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 08:14 PM

I simply disabled the security policy so I don't have to worry about this.

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2006, 09:44 AM

Disabling that security policy works fine in a home or very small office. I CANNOT recommend doing this outside of very well controlled environments though. Further, the Ctl-Alt-Del key combination prevents some rogue software from "having its way" with a Windows computer. You might be surprised...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by markponcelet
My IT person just updated my windows partition to log into a domain, and I had the same problem. For the record, ctrl-alt-fn-delete doesn't work. You have to remap an existing key to the forward-delete key. Once you do this, it works fine.

I remapped F12 to forward-delete. Use the remapkey.exe file linked in a previous post to do it. It's as easy as drag-and-drop.
Hmmm... When I do that and press CTRL-ALT-F12, I get the Intel graphics driver app.

And what about print-screen?

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 09:58 PM

Print Screen has a real function. In XP it captures the current, active display image to the clipboard. In combination with the Alt key, it can capturing only the currently active window. It is NOT an available extra control key...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Print Screen has a real function. In XP it captures the current, active display image to the clipboard. In combination with the Alt key, it can capturing only the currently active window. It is NOT an available extra control key...
Actually, I was wondering how to get that PrintScreen key mapped to my MacBook's keyboard.

I specifically want ALT-Print-Screen, but just Print-Screen would do.

winmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 12:27 AM

Under Parallel's VM menu, there is an option to 'send keys' - one of the key combinations you can send is 'Ctl-Alt-Del' - have you tried that?

MrP0nch02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 12:18 AM

(alt/option + ctrl) + fn + delete does work in htat order.

I came here looking for the answer to the same question and tried (alt/option + ctrl) + fn + delete and it worked.

Then I noticed that if you do it in a different sequence it doesn't. I think the fn key must be affecting how the alt/option and ctrl keys are seen.

Cheers!

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 12:39 PM

no fn changes back space into delete, it doesnt change how option and ctrl and seen, fn means function i.e. alternate option therefore pressing it gives you the second function of the next key you press.

Just pressing fn + backspace will give you delete.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ryarber
My Mac Pro KB has "alt" printed on the option key...try that. It works for me when I use Boot Camp.

Steve's Sanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 05:30 AM

Every Apple keyboard has alt written in small letters on the option key.
What happened to Steve's sanity? He took it out with the trash. . .

bryan1945
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 11:06 PM

Yeah, I'm 2 years late.

Found this combo on a Linux site, of all places.
I tried it on a MBP running Leopard, Parallels 3, WinXP. Worked fine.
Hope this helps somebody.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bryan1945 View Post
Yeah, I'm 2 years late.

Found this combo on a Linux site, of all places.
I tried it on a MBP running Leopard, Parallels 3, WinXP. Worked fine.
Hope this helps somebody.
What combo?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

Check the Apple support page for Boot Camp keyboard mapping in general, and this one on portable keyboards in particular. Ctl-Alt-Del is "Control"-"Alt" (Option)- Fn>"Delete" on a portable's keyboard. No, it isn't stated in bold type and highlighted, but "Fn+Del" = Windows' "Delete", so I guess Apple figured we were all bright enough to figure it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules