Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How are macbooks cheaper than pc's?

How are macbooks cheaper than pc's?
mac_pc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 04:24 PM

I am in hunt for another laptop to use for my education and entertainment. I was looking at the macbook and noticed that the price is way lower than its comparisons. The 2.0 macbook white is $1500 here in Canada. A comparison I was looking at is the thinkpad x60 and vaio sz. How can there be such different prices? The thinkpad is around $2800 with the same specs while vaio is around $2600.

Some people have been whining that the macbook's build quality is very low and it will not last as long as other pc laptops. What are your guys' inputs on this?

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 04:31 PM

Not sure about prices in Canada, but looking at US prices, the X60 is $1182 and the MacBook is $1099...

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 04:43 PM

Is that with the same specs?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 04:57 PM

The X60 is about half the weight of the MacBook... it's not really designed for the same purpose.

If the MacBook is thin/light enough for you, I'd take it. Otherwise the X60 and SZ and D400 are good thin-and-light laptops.

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mac_pc
Is that with the same specs?
X60 has a 12" screen and smaller HD than the MacBook.

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 05:17 PM

so the macbook would be the better choice if I am going to run many programs at the same time?

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 05:18 PM

Also, I was questioning this. Since it can run windows xp on parallel or bootcamp it is very nice that I can also use microsoft office since os x doesnt have a business program (correct me if I am wrong).

If I am running os x in mac, can I still download WINDOWS version of programs such as msn messenger? or do I have to download MAC.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2006, 05:21 PM

Maybe I'm just being bitchy, but I don't get the point of posts like these; it just leads me to believe the original poster is a troll.

"Do they have the same specs? "

Well, I don't know, killer, why don't you look that up for yourself, since you are the one who's supposedly making the purchase, not anyone else. All the questions asked on this thread could be easily discovered by the OP himself, and why whouldn't he, if he's the one dropping more than a grand?

EDIT: looking down at the other threads created, I see I was right.
( Last edited by CleoW; Sep 3, 2006 at 05:31 PM. )
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 05:42 PM

Yeah hes a troll, look at his posting, comes along one day then posts a trillion posts and starts a whole bunch of threads. When people do that that pisses me off. And to make it worse they ask pointless stupid questions which they could go and answer themselfs if they did a bit of research on the net.

Gawd!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules