Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Matte Screen Online Petition

MacBook Matte Screen Online Petition
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hey
I know its probably inevitable anyway, but I just started an online petition to try and get Apple to offer a matte screen option on the MacBook.

http://www.petitiononline.com/macbooks/petition.html

I know some people don't mind the Glossy screen, but I know there are lots of people, myself included, that can't stand the Glossy screens. So please sign if you are interested.
It would be extra cool of the mods made this a sticky . . .

:-)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2006, 10:25 PM

How will Apple ever see this? I am curious as to how this works.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2006, 10:29 PM

Once it gets a bunch of signatures, I'll probably just send them some feedback.

Apple - Feedback

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2006, 12:11 AM

alright! 2nd signature, im cool
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2006, 10:27 AM

Have an editor review the petition, correct the grammar and spelling mistakes and I might sign it.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 10:43 AM

Oh P-Lease! Apple obviously realise there is a demand for matte screens, because they offer the Pros with botht eh mate and glossy screens. Apple made a concious decision not to give an option for a matte screen on the MacBooks, and they obviously had their reasons for it. I don't see this making the blind bit of diference
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 08:51 PM

I think the reason is they probably figured that non pro users would look at a glossy dell and a glossy mac book and think the dell had a better screen, just because of the gloss. If we let apple know that there are lots and lots of people who are pro users, who know how crappy glossy screens are, and buy their macbooks as a second or third machine, then maybe they'll offer the option. I suspect that the option is coming in a few weeks with speed bumps anyway, but I'm starting the petition now just in case.

BTW why does this forum only sometimes email you when someone responds to your thread? Is there some maximum emails/hour spam limit on the web host or something?

Ouhei
Sep 3, 2006, 11:42 PM

I love my glossy screen, so bright and shiny. I don't have glare issues ever, and I bring it around to all my classes.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 12:02 PM

L008com why do you hate glossy screens so much?

They are soooo much better the matt screens, they are brighter, better colour i.e more truer if thats a word and in my opinion much more clearer.

And if your reason is that you get bad glare from them well thats balls too, even with bright over head lights or outside i dont notice it any worse then matt screens. So try plonking your head in front of the screen instead of at angle where you are more likely to get reflected light being refracted by the glass/plastic of the screen.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 01:00 PM

At first I thought I'd hate the glossy screen, but I rarely mind the reflections, and as a noticeable plus, it saves my battery life, since I tend to have it set much dimmer than I would have on the old screens since otherwise it feels too bright in a lot of conditions. So if they're only going to have one option (and it's not surprising to me that they save the customization for the higher end product), to me it makes sense to go glossy.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan
L008com why do you hate glossy screens so much?

They are soooo much better the matt screens, they are brighter, better colour i.e more truer if thats a word and in my opinion much more clearer.

And if your reason is that you get bad glare from them well thats balls too, even with bright over head lights or outside i dont notice it any worse then matt screens. So try plonking your head in front of the screen instead of at angle where you are more likely to get reflected light being refracted by the glass/plastic of the screen.
I'm neither for nor against glossy, but what is it about the gloss that makes the screen brighter and have better colour? What if it was the exact same technology but with a matte coating instead of a glossy coating? Would the screen somehow dim and and poor colour?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Oh P-Lease! Apple obviously realise there is a demand for matte screens, because they offer the Pros with botht eh mate and glossy screens. Apple made a concious decision not to give an option for a matte screen on the MacBooks, and they obviously had their reasons for it. I don't see this making the blind bit of diference
my sis has a toshiba with a glossy screen. she looks at my powerbook and wonders why it is not glossy too ... after explaining about reflections, etc. she was like "oh yeah ... i could see how that could make a difference" but she still loves her glossy.

i think a lot of people just use what they are offered without really making a choice about using something else better. to each his own i suppose.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by l008com
I think the reason is they probably figured that non pro users would look at a glossy dell and a glossy mac book and think the dell had a better screen, just because of the gloss. If we let apple know that there are lots and lots of people who are pro users, who know how crappy glossy screens are, and buy their macbooks as a second or third machine, then maybe they'll offer the option. I suspect that the option is coming in a few weeks with speed bumps anyway, but I'm starting the petition now just in case.

BTW why does this forum only sometimes email you when someone responds to your thread? Is there some maximum emails/hour spam limit on the web host or something?
i tend to get all the messages.

question: did you switch from a powerbook to a macbook? if so, how was the transition?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 02:47 PM

Notice how everyone that actually has the glossy screen doesn't care, or even says it's better than the matte?

I'd like to see a statistic of how many ONLINE petitions actually do anything.

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 04:20 PM

This will never fly, first of all nearly all PC notebooks have been glossy for a few short years now and no matter how much people don't like glossy you don't see the latest offerings in Sony, Dell or HP in matte. If glossy wasn't the people's choice we wouldn't see so many of them. Apple has gone mainstream to capture the market that they have missed and they are going with the majority of choice and not the choice of a few so this petition crap is nonsense.
They have listened to their customers which is why their consumer notebooks ARE glossy and the MacBook is black but they also know their creative professionals market which is why there is a choice on screen offerings. Let it go, you don't have to buy a Macintosh if it bothers you that much but there's almost a zero choice on the other side as well. Apple's notebook screens used to be dark and washed out and without contrast, they look better than ever now and that still doesn't seem to be good enough for some people.
( Last edited by hldan; Sep 4, 2006 at 04:57 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 06:26 PM

You tell it straight hldan!!

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan
You tell it straight hldan!!
lol
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2006, 02:14 PM

im all for it, more choices = more dough for apple

clockworkwar
Oct 8, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
This will never fly, first of all nearly all PC notebooks have been glossy for a few short years now and no matter how much people don't like glossy you don't see the latest offerings in Sony, Dell or HP in matte. If glossy wasn't the people's choice we wouldn't see so many of them. Apple has gone mainstream to capture the market that they have missed and they are going with the majority of choice and not the choice of a few so this petition crap is nonsense.
They have listened to their customers which is why their consumer notebooks ARE glossy and the MacBook is black but they also know their creative professionals market which is why there is a choice on screen offerings. Let it go, you don't have to buy a Macintosh if it bothers you that much but there's almost a zero choice on the other side as well. Apple's notebook screens used to be dark and washed out and without contrast, they look better than ever now and that still doesn't seem to be good enough for some people.
Oh ye, go hidan!!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff
im all for it, more choices = more dough for apple
Actually more choices = more costs for apple.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

rhashem
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
I'm neither for nor against glossy, but what is it about the gloss that makes the screen brighter and have better colour? What if it was the exact same technology but with a matte coating instead of a glossy coating? Would the screen somehow dim and and poor colour?
A matte coating works on the principle of diffusing incident light so instead of seeing a focused reflection, you see a spread-out patch of light. However, the coating cuts both ways. It also diffuses light emitted by the screen itself. This causes colors to appear softer and makes the whole screen just a little less sharp.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 06:12 PM

I've used laptop (and ipod videos) with glossy screens, I can't stand it. It gives me headaches and is just generally annoying.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ouhei
I don't have glare issues ever, and I bring it around to all my classes.
i mean no disrespect, but. are you sure you dont get any glare? because well, when i was taking my borrowed from a friend to try out blackbook, the glare/reflection was so annoying that i resorted to pen and paper. kept on get annoyed because the reflections were always on a part of the screen i was using word.

Alex

megatronbomb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2006, 07:27 PM

Not to be a jerk or anything but have any of the people that are complaining about the glossy screen actually used it in real world situations?

I was skeptical too but haven't had an issue at all.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by megatronbomb
Not to be a jerk or anything but have any of the people that are complaining about the glossy screen actually used it in real world situations?
Um, you should maybe re-read the post right above yours.

w/r/t the whole petition thing, I imagine it'd have to get a huge number of signatures for Apple to care. Petitions aren't pretty useless as market surveys because of the massive bias resulting from who winds up responding to them.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Oct 8, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ouhei
I love my glossy screen, so bright and shiny. I don't have glare issues ever, and I bring it around to all my classes.
Ditto!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 9, 2006, 03:17 AM

I have always had matte screens until I got my new Alienware laptop, love glossy now! Seriously it is much better is so many ways...
iMac G4 / Macbook

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 05:25 AM

Glossy screens are amazing when you use one. When you read about them online they sound terrible, try one.
They rock.
we don't have time to stop for gas

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 07:49 AM

I've not had a problem with reflections. I love the glossy screen. it Makes the colors brighter and more crisp IMO.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2006, 08:19 AM

Try calibrating your screen on matte systems. It's not hard and you won't screw things up permanently.

Apple's default is horrible. I know matte screens have nothing on glossy for contrast, but they can be much sharper and saturated than they are.

I would still go with matte if I had a choice when I bought this MBP. It's just less of a hassle for what I do and glossy looks cheap and toy-like to me. I only wish the screen on the MBP compared to my Samsung (non-glossy) LCD for my desktop as far as color saturation goes. Otherwise, I'm fine with it and it's plenty bright and colorful.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 04:05 AM

My bedroom has two skylights in it and brick walls, I do most of my work in this room (writer and graphic artist), and I love my MacBook's screen. My room is as bright as it is outside during the day, and the glare was actually worse on the old iMac that I just upgraded from. My only true complaint is that the Adobe Suite runs so slow on Intel Macs.

yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 10:15 AM

I have to agree with most people on this. I like the glossy. It was a concern before purchasing the Macbook, but I ended up liking it. There is some glare, but a I can't say it bothers me. When I got my first HP laptop, I could not see it in the sun at all.
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

clockworkwar
Oct 10, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by xsphat
My only true complaint is that the Adobe Suite runs so slow on Intel Macs.
Yep Adobe should be releasing a Universal version soon i think.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 06:35 PM

Spring '07 according to Adobe's site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules