Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Week 33 Staining?

Week 33 Staining?
CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 12:46 AM

I have a week 33 MacBook that has up until this point given me no headache (my first Mac). I put the InvisibleShield on the wristrests and touchpad a week after its arrival. I was doing my nightly wipedown of my notebook and I noticed faint brown staining UNDER the InvisibleShield!

First of all, I was pretty sure that this problem was corrected by the 33rd week of production. Second of all, how can it stain UNDER the InvisibleShield (I've actually heard somebody claim staining under the InvisibleShield as well, and, to be honest, I thought they were full of ****) ! At first I thought I was being hyper, but my sis confirmed the discoloration.

I made an appointment right away at the Genius Bar, for tomorrow morning. I hope they will just replace the top without grief.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

CleoW  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 12:53 AM

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by CleoW

I would not use any protection...

Let the plastic cure........if you will.

Most professionals know, for example, it is better to not wax a new car right away because the paint has to cure a little. Some dealers use a Teflon paint and carpet sealant (different than waxing) to ward off interior and exterior grime, however.

Even if you wore latex gloves (extreme action), you may have experienced discoloration using the shield product. Most reports show that your chances may be better with the finished, out of the box plastic.

CleoW  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 01:06 AM

What reports are you referring to? Does anyone think the genius will give me grief because of the InvisibleShield? Here's a better pic: http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2365/dsc02181rw1.jpg

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 11:17 AM

Dude!! If your MacBook is that dirty already then i would suggest cleaning your hands more then once a week.

Also it look like the invisible shield is what is actually dirty, get some washing up liquid (the one for dishes) and warm water and using a soft cloth dampened (just dunk it int he water and wring it out good works for me) give it a good wipe down especially around the corners of the shield.

CleoW  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan
Dude!! If your MacBook is that dirty already then i would suggest cleaning your hands more then once a week.
I clean my MacBook every night, and my hands much more than that. Btw, I'm a woman.

Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan
Also it look like the invisible shield is what is actually dirty, get some washing up liquid (the one for dishes) and warm water and using a soft cloth dampened (just dunk it int he water and wring it out good works for me) give it a good wipe down especially around the corners of the shield.
No, the OUTSIDE of shield is not what is dirty, I've already used several products to clean it; it's clear that the staining is under the shield. I started with plain water, then with a fifty/fifty of isopropyl, dishshoap, and then iDrops. I would not waste my time to go downtown if I could simply clean the outside.
( Last edited by CleoW; Sep 13, 2006 at 05:17 PM. )

CleoW  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 04:39 PM

Anyway, I peeled off the IS just before going downtown and it appears that it is dirty under the actual shield, and not MacBook staining. I washed my hands and the device before the application, but I suppose I didn't do so carefully enough. I'm puzzled, though, that it took a week and a half to look that bad. I saw a few specks after I finished, but it never looked that bad. Maybe the heat made it show more. I'm out fifty-- I'll have to be more careful in the future.

There's def something to your comment , HouseSold.
( Last edited by CleoW; Sep 13, 2006 at 04:56 PM. )

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 04:58 PM

dont use the shield, i say. many people say that the shields get dirty and it makes it look liek the macbook is dirty

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 07:47 PM

I know most owners prefer the pristine Apple white or black, but if you're not afraid to be creative I would suggest browsing Macstyles.com...my son (PowerBook Titanium) and I (MacBook 2gb white) have both ordered exterior and interior vinyls and in addition to offering scratch and dirt protection, they look great (and keep me from freaking out over scratches and stains ;-).

Forum Links
Forum Rules