Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Biden Killing It; Also Copyright Law and Fair Use

Biden Killing It; Also Copyright Law and Fair Use
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
That’s why I’m on Snapchat—

which is perfect for me.

It cuts me off after 10 seconds.

And everything disappears the next day.

But Twitter, now that’s another thing.

I can’t even say “hello” in less than 140 characters.

Excerpts from Biden's Gridiron Dinner speech - POLITICO

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2016, 04:57 PM

10,000 years ago, when I was at University, Biden came to speak. Ok, it was probably 1991, but a long time ago.

He gave an engaging, entertaining, and truly relevant speech, and then spent the next 2-3 hours hanging out in the cafeteria talking and answering questions to any students willing to hang around.

There was no topic that he did not have a reasoned and seemingly honest opinion. And he was clever and funny as hell.

Yes, he puts his foot in his mouth but I truly believe he is a genuine guy. I don't agree with him on everything, but if he had decided to run, I would have supported him big style.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
10,000 years ago, when I was at University, Biden came to speak. Ok, it was probably 1991, but a long time ago.

He gave an engaging, entertaining, and truly relevant speech, and then spent the next 2-3 hours hanging out in the cafeteria talking and answering questions to any students willing to hang around.

There was no topic that he did not have a reasoned and seemingly honest opinion. And he was clever and funny as hell.

Yes, he puts his foot in his mouth but I truly believe he is a genuine guy. I don't agree with him on everything, but if he had decided to run, I would have supported him big style.
This!

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2016, 09:03 PM

Politicians are so much better when they aren't running for office and trying to impress.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2016, 01:09 PM

I want to say he got some writers, too. This is A-list material.

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Donald has attacked every person of color – except John Boehner.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post

I've always liked him, and thought he'd make a decent president.

No way in hell he could ever get himself elected to the position, though.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 7, 2016, 03:32 PM

I've been annoyed with Biden since he told an MPAA meeting that "Taking someone else’s intellectual property is theft, plain and simple". It's actually copyright infringement, not a crime, and not so simple (fair use analysis). In this case, of people (MPAA) who ratcheted up copyright to the point where the average citizen commits infringement constantly.

You can't take a family pic in a restaurant without committing (on average) a few thousand dollars to a few million dollars of potential infringement. Because you're reproducing the artwork hanging on the walls, or the art on the windows, etc. All of which are automatically copyrighted, whether the authors filed for copyright or not. In theory, the authors could file after the fact, then sue you and family members you sent copies to. For statutory damages of $750 to $150K per infringement. Just catching three wall pictures could potentially end your family financially.

That one comment struck me as saying all Americans are thieves, and I flagged him as a copyright shill. Admittedly, judging a person on a single comment to a special interest group might be unfair.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2016, 07:08 PM

Yeah... he says dumb shit sometimes.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I've been annoyed with Biden since he told an MPAA meeting that "Taking someone else’s intellectual property is theft, plain and simple". It's actually copyright infringement, not a crime, and not so simple (fair use analysis). In this case, of people (MPAA) who ratcheted up copyright to the point where the average citizen commits infringement constantly.

You can't take a family pic in a restaurant without committing (on average) a few thousand dollars to a few million dollars of potential infringement. Because you're reproducing the artwork hanging on the walls, or the art on the windows, etc. All of which are automatically copyrighted, whether the authors filed for copyright or not. In theory, the authors could file after the fact, then sue you and family members you sent copies to. For statutory damages of $750 to $150K per infringement. Just catching three wall pictures could potentially end your family financially.

That one comment struck me as saying all Americans are thieves, and I flagged him as a copyright shill. Admittedly, judging a person on a single comment to a special interest group might be unfair.
It's getting really bad on Youtube, with 100s, if not 1000s, of creators being hit with constant, bogus copyright strikes; Fair Use being ignored, their content revenue being confiscated, and eventually their channels getting taken down. If we don't address this soon there won't be any "non-corporate" voices left online.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Mar 8, 2016, 05:35 AM

Youtube is a special problem. Google made a deal that basically lets the big IP owners take down anything at any time without suing. The copyright system is bad enough and needs to be fixed, but good luck outspending the *AAs in Congress. I think what needs to happen is that people stop using Youtube until Google stops handling takedowns in that manner.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 8, 2016, 10:52 AM

Well, there was that woman whose baby dancing video with 10 seconds of a prince song got taken down, and she fought and got it put back up. If people know their rights and the law and keep fighting, the embarrassment over this puts a black eye on Youtube/Google/etc.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Youtube is a special problem. Google made a deal that basically lets the big IP owners take down anything at any time without suing.
Doesn't YouTube let anyone do that?

P
Mar 12, 2016, 10:54 AM

There is some special pleading for big movie studios or the like who have a deal with Google. They get to automate the procedure without exposing themselves to legal liability, which means that they can abuse the system to take down things criticizing them:

"Buffy vs. Edward" back on YouTube after 3-month legal battle

Anyone can't do that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2016, 11:10 AM

I feel like the implication is YouTube is sucking big media's crank, when I think the reality is closer to YouTube trying not to get sued out of existence.

Don't get me wrong, YouTube is run by a bunch of assholes, but this really seems like the DMCA's fault.

Forum Links
Forum Rules