Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SUV sales tank as gas soars

SUV sales tank as gas soars (Page 4)
deej5871
Senior User
Oct 4, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I drive big vehicles for a living, if you complain about the gas then you shouldn't be driving an SUV in the first place. Those who need them can easily justify the cost of gas with what they need the vehicle to accomplish.
This is so true that I'm repeating it for emphasis.

Personally, I hate SUV's (and, admittedly, stereotype almost every SUV driver I see when on the road) but I can understand that some people need them. Contrary to what many in this thread think, Cody sounds to me like a prime example of someone who needs an SUV. Hauls large groups of people: check. Hauls cargo: check. Tows heavy cargo: check. What's the problem here?

Whoever said that nobody "NEEDS" an SUV might as well say that nobody needs a car. Continuing to name things that you can do with vehicles besides SUVs (i.e. "What? You need to haul people and tow stuff? A minivan can do that!") is completely pointless. I could make the same argument about cars. You can use your legs to get anywhere you need, why have a car?

quote68
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Doofy
And here we are ladies and gentlemen: the start of the death of America. When the population can no longer buy what they want and are instead forced to buy what they need, you no longer have America - you have a Marxist hellhole.

I will be expecting all of you to be throwing out your CDs, stereos, iPods, TVs, etc., etc.. Because you don't need those things. Neither do you need to eat meat, so I'll be expecting you all to be veggie by the end of the week (which will decrease pollution to the benefit of all).

Or you could just STFU and stop whining at Cody whilst being glad you live in a country where you can go buy the vehicle of your choice.
I want to buy bazookas and anti tank missiles to blow up SUVs, but I can't buy them in this country. Fascists.

As for meat, we have something called CANINES, which means we were designed to eat meat.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

Doofy
Clinically Insane

Nah, I like my food to have a soul
Best take the STFU option then.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 11:28 PM

Best take the STFU option then.
Nah I won't be doin that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by quote68
As for meat, we have something called CANINES, which means we were designed to eat meat.
Funny that. No other meat-eating animal has to cook their meat before they consume it in order to prevent themselves from getting sick.

You don't need meat - you just want it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 11:31 PM

I want to buy bazookas and anti tank missiles to blow up SUVs, but I can't buy them in this country. Fascists.
Emphasis™

Seriously, there are all sorts of things the govt. doesn't allow you to buy, even VEHICLES

Making the SUV less desireable to those who don't use them isn't fascist, its smart.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:36 PM

Making the SUV less desireable to those who don't use them isn't fascist, its smart.
Narh, it's fascist.
Why? Because once governments get away with small things like that, they invariably then start in on other things. Slippery slope.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 11:40 PM

Then its already been going on for a loooong time.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:45 PM

Narh, it's fascist.
Why? Because once governments get away with small things like that, they invariably then start in on other things.
Like fully automatic rifles, bazookas, and tanks. Dammit. I really want a tank! I deserve it because I enjoy driving it! I NEED A TANK! FASCISTS!!!
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:48 PM

Funny that. No other meat-eating animal has to cook their meat before they consume it in order to prevent themselves from getting sick.

You don't need meat - you just want it.
I've eaten raw meat before. I didn't get sick. There are a lot of people who eat raw meat. Heck, google eating raw meat.

http://www.karlloren.com/human-raw-meat-diet.htm

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:51 PM

Narh, it's fascist.
Why? Because once governments get away with small things like that, they invariably then start in on other things. Slippery slope.
Heck! I cant' even buy slaves or marijuana anymore! Bastards! I mean, they outlawed those things, so I'm guessing by next year it'll be illegal to purchase butter! I mean it's totally rational that banning of one thing leads to banning of all things.

Doofy: You are suffering from a FAILURE in logic. Nobody is asking that SUVs quit being produced. Nobody. We're just stating that the people who have NO NEED WHATSOEVER for driving an SUV should not be allowed to drive one. Just like I have no need whatsoever to be behind the wheel of a tank, so I'm not allowed to drive one.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 11:52 PM

And here we are ladies and gentlemen: the start of the death of America. When the population can no longer buy what they want and are instead forced to buy what they need, you no longer have America - you have a Marxist hellhole.

I will be expecting all of you to be throwing out your CDs, stereos, iPods, TVs, etc., etc.. Because you don't need those things. Neither do you need to eat meat, so I'll be expecting you all to be veggie by the end of the week (which will decrease pollution to the benefit of all).

Or you could just STFU and stop whining at Cody whilst being glad you live in a country where you can go buy the vehicle of your choice.
I will rephrase what I have said before: America will die when energy becomes so expensive that the economy becomes severely depressed, when people have to ride bicycles 10 miles each way to work, when it becomes prohibitively expensive to fly or ship packages across the country, etc etc.

What you're calling "freedom" is just your ability to childishly portray an image of outdoorsy-ness at the expense of the environment, other drivers on the road, and the global economy. I'm all for freedom WHEN IT DOESN'T HURT OTHER PEOPLE BUT THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE TIMES! Did you read what I wrote? What I propose as the "ultimate solution" wouldn't even ban SUV's - anyone could still buy one - it would just make SUV buyers pay for others to become more fuel-efficient, to offset their extra consumption. Tell me, who's the more reasonable one between us?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
I will rephrase what I have said before: America will die when energy becomes so expensive that the economy becomes severely depressed, when people have to ride bicycles 10 miles each way to work, when it becomes prohibitively expensive to fly or ship packages across the country, etc etc.

What you're calling "freedom" is just your ability to childishly portray an image of outdoorsy-ness at the expense of the environment, other drivers on the road, and the global economy. I'm all for freedom WHEN IT DOESN'T HURT OTHER PEOPLE BUT THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE TIMES! Did you read what I wrote? What I propose as the "ultimate solution" wouldn't even ban SUV's - anyone could still buy one - it would just make SUV buyers pay for others to become more fuel-efficient, to offset their extra consumption. Tell me, who's the more reasonable one between us?
Doofy isnt' being reasonable.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Well, it ain't free gas now, is it.

Who the hell said it was?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 11:56 PM

Doofy isnt' being reasonable.
What the F*CK would YOU know about being reasonable?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 11:56 PM

By the way, I'm a vegetarian. Been one for 17 years.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:57 PM

I've eaten raw meat before. I didn't get sick.
I'm betting you didn't catch it yourself and then eat it without the use of tools - like every other meat-eating animal on the planet does. Video yourself eating straight off the cow whilst still in the field and I'll believe you.

And it still doesn't alter the fact that you eat it because you want to, not because you need to.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 11:59 PM

We're just stating that the people who have NO NEED WHATSOEVER for driving an SUV should not be allowed to drive one.
Who decides that need?

Just like I have no need whatsoever to be behind the wheel of a tank, so I'm not allowed to drive one.
Fascists. I could go buy one tomorrow and trundle it down the high street to the mall, no questions asked.

(Hey! Haven't we had this argument before?)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2005, 12:02 AM

Yes and like before its degraded away from the many valid points brought up by the "anti-SUV" posters on these boards.

Just keep shifting the focus away from these silly and wasteful vehicles bought by idiots who don't need them and soon enough you can claim victory in the argument.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

No. America dies when its ideals of freedom die. America existed before the invention of the automobile. It'll exist after the passing of the automobile. As long as the freedoms inherent in the culture are preserved.

What you're calling "freedom" is just your ability to childishly portray an image of outdoorsy-ness at the expense of the environment, other drivers on the road, and the global economy.
Well, actually... My SUV is used for towing dead cows off fields. And it gets better mileage than Rob's SVX.

Did you read what I wrote? What I propose as the "ultimate solution" wouldn't even ban SUV's - anyone could still buy one - it would just make SUV buyers pay for others to become more fuel-efficient, to offset their extra consumption. Tell me, who's the more reasonable one between us?
Yes. I read it. You don't want to go there. Trust me on that. Similar political/philosophical systems (not fuel related) are in place here and they don't work.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:08 AM

I'm betting you didn't catch it yourself and then eat it without the use of tools - like every other meat-eating animal on the planet does. Video yourself eating straight off the cow whilst still in the field and I'll believe you.
Lots of meat eating animals are scavengers, they find it already dead and some parts of the animal are missing. Sometimes they have to compete for the leftovers. I did just that. I competed. I won. I made money. I went to a store and got the animal leftovers.

BTW, are you saying we shouldn't use tools? I thought that's what our advantage was? We're the only animal that uses complex tools, like bow and arrows, internal combustion engines... why then should we turn the wonderful device that allowed us to invent these things OFF and purchase a stupid ****ing vehicle that we don't NEED?!?!

You lose.

And it still doesn't alter the fact that you eat it because you want to, not because you need to.
Many vegetarians have trouble with nutrition. Humans are OMNIVORES, not herbivores. We have evolved to consume both meat and produce. You lose. Quit derailing the topic.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:11 AM

Just keep shifting the focus away from these silly and wasteful vehicles bought by idiots who don't need them and soon enough you can claim victory in the argument.
I wasn't shifting the focus. I was presenting a parallel to show your (plural) hypocrisy.

You say that people don't need SUVs.
You say that SUVs are harming the environment.
You say that SUVs are dangerous to others.

I say that people don't need to eat meat.
I say that meat production is harming the environment (check your groundwater pollution figures).
I say that meat productions is dangerous to others (antibiotic build up causing resistant strains).

Now... ...morally, what difference is there between the two? That's right. None.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:12 AM

No. America dies when its ideals of freedom die. America existed before the invention of the automobile. It'll exist after the passing of the automobile. As long as the freedoms inherent in the culture are preserved.
Then America is already dead. Here's what her 'ideals' were back in the day:

The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.
-Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

By your own definition America is dead already.

Well, actually... My SUV is used for towing dead cows off fields. And it gets better mileage than Rob's SVX.
How often do you tow cows off fields? As for your SUV, I don't believe it. Considering you have some magical mythical version that was never sold here and nothing similar to it gets even CLOSE to the MPG and performance you claim, I say you're full of ****.

PS: It definitely hasn't gotten better MPG than my SVX in the past month or two. It's been in storage.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:13 AM

I wasn't shifting the focus. I was presenting a parallel to show your (plural) hypocrisy.

You say that people don't need SUVs.
You say that SUVs are harming the environment.
You say that SUVs are dangerous to others.

I say that people don't need to eat meat.
I say that meat production is harming the environment (check your groundwater pollution figures).
I say that meat productions is dangerous to others (antibiotic build up causing resistant strains).

Now... ...morally, what difference is there between the two? That's right. None.
Last time I checked eating a hamburger never resulted in a car full of people being decapitated and maimed.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 5, 2005, 12:16 AM

Why do you people always go on and on and on and on about SUVs. I do not understand it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:17 AM

BTW, are you saying we shouldn't use tools?
No. I'm saying that you're not nearly as designed for meat-eating as you think you are.

Many vegetarians have trouble with nutrition.
Fyre4ce, you having a problem with nutrition? No, me neither (about 17 years too).

Humans are OMNIVORES, not herbivores. We have evolved to consume both meat and produce. You lose.
Humans are OMNIDRIVERS. We have evolved to design, make and drive both crappy little wagons and SUVs.
You lose.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:17 AM

Because I don't yield for stupidity. Logic and reason must prevail or we're all dead.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 5, 2005, 12:20 AM

The usual suspects again. Don't you guys get tired of this?

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:21 AM

No. I'm saying that you're not nearly as designed for meat-eating as you think you are.

Fyre4ce, you having a problem with nutrition? No, me neither (about 17 years too).

Humans are OMNIDRIVERS. We have evolved to design, make and drive both crappy little wagons and SUVs.
You lose.
No, I don't. I'm being logical, and you're cutting out hte majority of my posts to make it seem as though you're saying something intelligent. You aren't. There is NO ****ING REASON IN TEH ENTIRE WORLD a soccer mom should be driving an 8,000 lb vehicle that gets 8mpg when she has no rational use for it.

Freedom is one thing, but you completely fail to realize that SUVs are hurting MY environment, MY economy, MY standard of living, MY stress levels by not being able to see around the damn things and having them almost kill me whenever I drive thanks to their large blindspots and idiotic drivers who take more risks because they feel safe, and they endanger MY life. Now **** off and go drink some tea.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 12:21 AM

Yes and like before its degraded away from the many valid points brought up by the "anti-SUV" posters on these boards.

Agreed. No one has yet to take me head-on.

The "freedom" argument doesn't fly. Unless you have a country with no laws at all, some things are going to be regulated. The question then becomes, what do we regulate and what do we not? The only real way to answer this question is to make logical arguments for and against regulation. Saying, "regulation is fascism" is an argument against regulation altogether. Are you really saying you want to abolish government and live in anarchy so you can drive your SUV without anyone getting in your way?

If not, let's debate the real issue of SUV's.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Nope. I enjoy defending rational thought. That's why I enjoy you around, it gives me something to do.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 5, 2005, 12:23 AM

Jezus H Christ.. you's guy's are on fire today with this chitter chatter about SUVs. Here is my oppinion.

If you want one.. get one.
If not.. do not get one.

If you don't care (eg. me) ... STFU!!!!!!11

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Jezus H Christ.. you's guy's are on fire today with this chitter chatter about SUVs. Here is my oppinion.

If you want one.. get one.
If not.. do not get one.

If you don't care (eg. me) ... STFU!!!!!!11
You didn't follow your own advice. Now STFU unless you have an opinion.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:24 AM

How often do you tow cows off fields?
About 2-6 times a year.

As for your SUV, I don't believe it. Considering you have some magical mythical version that was never sold here and nothing similar to it gets even CLOSE to the MPG and performance you claim, I say you're full of ****.
OK. Email Jeep UK and ask them for their fuel figures on the 2.5 TDi Cherokee. Go on, do it.
"Magical mythical version". Ahahahahahaha. About half the XJ Cherokees sold in Europe were TDi. Go check your KJ Liberty fuel figures (Jeep.com) against the KJ Cherokee TDi figures (Jeep.co.uk) right now. Idiot.

PS: It definitely hasn't gotten better MPG than my SVX in the past month or two. It's been in storage.
Wrong. It's been sitting in the barn for about six months waiting for me to fix the heads.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 5, 2005, 12:26 AM

You didn't follow your own advice. Now STFU unless you have an opinion.
That was my opinion.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

That was my opinion.

But your opinion was that you don't care, so you should STFU. According to you.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:29 AM

Freedom is one thing, but you completely fail to realize that SUVs are hurting MY environment, MY economy, MY standard of living, MY stress levels by not being able to see around the damn things and having them almost kill me whenever I drive thanks to their large blindspots and idiotic drivers who take more risks because they feel safe, and they endanger MY life. Now **** off and go drink some tea.
You're not getting the parallel.

Your meat eating is hurting MY environment, MY economy, My standard of living, MY stress levels and is endangering MY life.
Go look up how your choice of food is fortifying bugs which antibiotics used to kill. Click on my sig even. Then go look up MRSA or "superbug".

Thus, allowing yourself freedom to do that whilst denying Cody her freedom to drive whatever she chooses, you are a hypocrite.

And I don't drink tea.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 5, 2005, 12:30 AM

But your opinion was that you don't care, so you should STFU. According to you.
Right. Thanks.
I didn't say anything for 3+ pages for that very reason. I was S'ingTFU. Back to it.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 12:30 AM

I've enjoyed reading this "debate" on SUVs.

I haven't driven in 6 years because it is such a waste of money. Everywhere I need to go, I walk, bike, train, bus, or cab. I understand if you don't live in an urban environment that it's impossible to get around without a car, but what cracks me up is when I see someone driving in an SUV that sucks 13 MPG and THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE IN THE VEHICLE!

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:33 AM

About 2-6 times a year.
Wow. Sure is good you bought the vehicle you did for only 1.5% of the year's activities.

Go check your KJ Liberty fuel figures (Jeep.com) against the KJ Cherokee TDi figures (Jeep.co.uk) right now. Idiot.
I just looked. I don't see TDI versions anywhere.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:35 AM

You're not getting the parallel.

Your meat eating is hurting MY environment, MY economy, My standard of living, MY stress levels and is endangering MY life.
How how and how. And how and how and how and how and how and how and how? And ultimately, is it even remotely the same death rate as SUVs? Nope.

deej5871
Senior User
Oct 5, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Yeah, the usual suspects saying it's the usual suspects. I usually suspect this.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE IN THE VEHICLE!
You think. Maybe you can't see the passenger because she's giving the driver a friendly BJ.

What a stupid argument. Maybe the driver has just dropped someone off. Maybe the driver is going to pick someone up. Maybe everyone who the driver knows whines like a hippie at his choice of vehicle so he's shot them all and buried them in his garden?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:41 AM

Wow. Sure is good you bought the vehicle you did for only 1.5% of the year's activities.
And what would be your alternative?

I just looked. I don't see TDI versions anywhere.
Oh. They call them CRD now. I forgot about the invention of the common-rail.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:41 AM

You think. Maybe you can't see the passenger because she's giving the driver a friendly BJ.

What a stupid argument. Maybe the driver has just dropped someone off. Maybe the driver is going to pick someone up. Maybe everyone who the driver knows whines like a hippie at his choice of vehicle so he's shot them all and buried them in his garden?
Oh.. I'm sorry Doofy. You're incorrect. The most likely answer is that the owner is a total ****ing dumbass, is ignorant of the real facts and denies his/her own rational brain and PRETENDS they actually NEED such a vehicle in order to trick themselves into thinking they're not just another sheep working at some stupid job living in the god damn suburbs and being a boring normal piece of **** selfish human being who isn't happy with their white collar business degree job so they become self centered asstards later on in life but they have a bit of money to throw around so they think that a sporty outdoorsy vehicle will give them the image of being outdoorsy when in fact they just use the damn thing to drive to work, the grocery store, and the mall with.

quote68
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 12:45 AM

Oh. They call them CRD now. I forgot about the invention of the common-rail.
WOW! That's incredible! Over 30mpg on a fullsize SUV! I want one! Where do I sign up!

OH WAIT! ****! THE GOVERNMENT HAS LIMITED MY CHOICES AND I CANT BUY THAT ****IGN THING HERE SO I GUESS THE END IS NIGH!

Dumbass.

Just because YOUR magical SUV gets decent MPG does not change the fact that THE VAST MAJORITY GET **** MPG.

If everyone had one like yours I don't think I'd have much of a reason to complain.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 5, 2005, 12:47 AM

Hey man..you're getting all worked up. Relax, no need to argue.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:48 AM

WOW! That's incredible! Over 30mpg on a fullsize SUV! I want one! Where do I sign up!

OH WAIT! ****! THE GOVERNMENT HAS LIMITED MY CHOICES AND I CANT BUY THAT ****IGN THING HERE SO I GUESS THE END IS NIGH!

Dumbass.

Just because YOUR magical SUV gets decent MPG does not change the fact that THE VAST MAJORITY GET **** MPG.

If everyone had one like yours I don't think I'd have much of a reason to complain.

Hey Rob, you're getting pretty intense. I suggest simmering down and chilling out, or else you'll get banned again and be forced to create a new nickname so that you can exercise your lifelong entitlement to being able to post on MacNN.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 12:48 AM

Off to bed for me. I hope to see some quality debate tomorrow, not just a pissing match between Doofy and Rob.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2005, 12:49 AM

Hey man..you're getting all worked up. Relax, no need to argue.
This is uncanny... first the pooping in the cubicle, now the posting the same thing at the same time.

You're starting to scare me. Please don't tell me you are wearing ladies underwear right now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules