Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WAP or WEP?

WAP or WEP?
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2009, 09:42 PM

I have a Belkin N router, and 2 computers (one MBP and one iMac). My question is Does WAP or WEP for security log on make any difference in downloading? cause I used WAP now and everytime 2 computers log on together my MBP is always slowing down and not connected at all to internet. I used to have netgear and used WEP and we had 4 computers and never had a problem like this. Or is this simply my router issue? I don't think my MBP causing the problem cause I can connect with my neighbor WiFi very well. Btw the router and the 2 computers are in the same living room (apartment), Thanks for any infos!.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2009, 10:18 PM

WiFi Protected Access (W P A) and WEP are basically transparent in terms of perceptible download speeds. The only time there is any sort of delay is immediately on establishing the wireless connection, and that's pretty darn fast.

It sounds to me like there's something odd with your router. I'd do interesting stuff like rotate the router 90º and see if you get similar speed problems, but it's certainly NOT your encryption.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 10, 2009, 08:12 PM

I would suggest resetting your router first. Then use WPA2. Don't know why but had problems with WPA1. I read an article on another forum to do this so gave it a shot. Works allot better. WEP did work faster but is not very secure.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 01:08 AM

WPA is the only thing worth using - WEP is technologically retarded and has been depreciated for years. Neither should cause any noticeable network performance issues.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 02:34 AM

Download iStumbler and make sure your router is on a distinct channel compared to your other neighborhood routers. If everybody is on channel 9, then you'd go to 6, etc. Also, go to Belkin's websire and see if they have updated firmware for the router--routers aren't always sold with the latest firmware.

Use WPA not WEP.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 04:03 AM

WEP for all practical purposes can be considered broken.

Go for WPA2.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Download iStumbler and make sure your router is on a distinct channel compared to your other neighborhood routers. If everybody is on channel 9, then you'd go to 6, etc.
If you're talking 802.11 b/g, channels 9 and 6 are not independent. To be independent from 9, you'd have be on something like channel 1 or 3.

Also, some have stated that being on the same channel is actually better than being on overlapping but different channels, due to the way such interference is managed. ie. Going to channel 1 would be the best, but staying on channel 9 might actually be better than going to channel 6.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 10:44 AM

Outside of the North America there's also channels 12 and 13. These channels are often less crowded thanks to most people never bothering to actually configure their routers.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 12:02 PM

I thought I saw mention of channel 14 as well (outside of North America).

BTW, in the example given, channel 12 and 13 would still overlap with channel 9, but I presume channel 14 (if it exists) would not.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 12:39 PM

I thought 14 was only available in Japan for 802.11b.

Forum Links
Forum Rules