Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 10W Charger/PlugBug And Nexus 7

iPad 10W Charger/PlugBug And Nexus 7
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2012, 09:52 AM

I've heard conflicting reports about whether the iPad 10W power adapter and the TwelveSouth PlugBug will charge a Nexus 7 (I know, it's not an iDevice, but the chargers are made for them, so I figured it was close enough to on topic). Some say they won't work at all, others that they will slowly, others that they will charge the device but that the N7's battery monitor just won't show itself being charged, and yet others that it should work fine.

As near as anyone can tell, what's the truth of all this? Most important, is there any way that trying it out myself could damage my N7?

Thanks.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2012, 06:31 AM

I use the 10 W iPad USB power adapter to charge an iPhone. That 10 W is maximum, not mandatory. The voltage is 5V. It's just the maximum amperage that's different. The iPad adapter is 5 volts x 2 amps, where is the iPhone is up to 1 amp.

For the Nexus 7's Asus AC adapter, it's also 10 Watts (5 V x 2 A).

BTW, unlike the iPad, the Nexus 7 will even charge over a 2.5 Watt USB port (5 V x 0.5 A), but will do so really slowly. With the iPad adapter, it should charge quickly, since it's the same specs as the Asus adapter. If I remember, maybe I'll give it a shot when I get home.

I have never seen the PlugBug. I just use the Nexus 7's included cable, as well a cable stolen from another device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules