Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is This The Worst Campaign Season Ever?

Is This The Worst Campaign Season Ever?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 PM

Is it just me, or are both sides in this election running just about the worst campaigns I ever remember seeing - listless, lacking any real spark or passion, and filled with inexplicable gaffes and mistakes? Forget partisan divisions for a minute, and put aside the natural inclination to shout: "My guy's doing great! The other guy sucks!". Does it not seem that in an election in which we are told that the stakes couldn't possibly be higher, both campaigns seem to be sputtering along in first gear, dogged by a weird amateurishness and, well, even seeming to not really be taking the whole thing as seriously as we're told that this election deserves?

I've seen elections where one side or the other were in that state - Bob Dole in 1996 comes to mind - but I don't think I've ever seen one where both campaigns were. Honestly - is this the worst campaign season ever, or what?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2012, 12:50 AM

I actually think a bit of political lethargy would do America good.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 03:44 AM

Bill Clinton stole Pres. Obama's thunder. Now Pres. Obama needs to find some lightning to create some spark.

Mitt Romney is ill prepared, suffering from one storm after another. He house is destroyed and needs time to repair.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Is it just me, or are both sides in this election running just about the worst campaigns I ever remember seeing - listless, lacking any real spark or passion, and filled with inexplicable gaffes and mistakes?
You and I apparently watched completely different DNC conventions.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 11:04 PM

Madonna threaten to strip if Obama gets reelected doesn't help. (as an incentive to for vote FOR him)

Madonna strips for Obama, offers profanity-laced endorsement

“When Obama is in the White House for a second term I'll take it all off,” she said to cheers and whistles from the audience.
She's not good at sarcasm either.

Madonna: Vote for the 'Black Muslim in the White House'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7R78LOpyM8
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 11:17 PM

I'd say it's a marked improvement over implying McCain was Hitler.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 06:10 AM

At least Madonna knows who's running. The people interview think McCain is running and Ryan is Obama's VP. pick (and black!)

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/09/24/howard_stern_interviews_obama_supporters_2012.html

Howard Stern contributors Sal and Richard travel to Harlem to interview Obama supporters and ask them why they are voting for Obama.

Stern and his crew ask denizens of Harlem various outrageous questions, including if they believe Obama will find and kill Osama bin Laden; if Romney is a Muslim and if Obama is a Mormon; if Obama made the right choice by picking Paul Ryan as his running mate and if he did it because he is black.

One interviewee was under the impression that 2008 Republican nominee John McCain is also running this time.

"Just trust me, not one person knew that Osama bin Laden was dead," Stern said during the segment.

"Well, we're obviously dealing with a whole population that doesn't listen to the newscasts or read a newspaper," co-host Robin Quivers said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeJbOU4nmHQ

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeJbOU4nmHQ[/VIDEO]
45/47

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2012, 08:33 AM

Free Phones for Owe-bama supporters in Cleavland???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tpAOwJvTOio

More stooges........

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
At least Madonna knows who's running. The people interview think McCain is running and Ryan is Obama's VP. pick (and black!)
http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/09/24/howard_stern_interviews_obama_supporters_2012.html
When I look for cutting-edge, scientifically-accurate political polling, I call Howard Stern.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 08:41 AM

This will do more damage than issuing layoff notices. Once it becomes known that Obama had the call made to not let them know layoffs are coming will p*ss people off.

At White House Request, Lockheed Martin Drops Plan to Issue Layoff Notices

[QUOTE]Defense contractor Lockheed Martin heeded a request from the White House today — one with political overtones — and announced it will not issue layoff notices to thousands of employees just days before the November presidential election.

Lockheed, one of the biggest employers in the key battleground state of Virginia, previously warned it would have to issue notices to employees, required by law, due to looming defense cuts set to begin to take effect after Jan. 2 because of the failure of the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction — the so-called Super-committee, which was created to find a way to cut $1.5 trillion from the federal deficit over the next decade.

Such massive layoffs could have threatened Obama’s standing in the state he won in 2008 and is hoping to carry again this November.[

On Friday, the Obama administration reiterated that federal contractors should not issue notices to workers based on “uncertainty” over the pending $500 billion reduction in Pentagon spending that will occur unless lawmakers can agree on a solution to the budget impasse, negotiations over which will almost definitely not begin until after the election.

Contractors had been planning to send out notices because of the WARN Act — Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act — which according to the Department of Labor requires “most employers with 100 or more employees to provide notification 60 calendar days in advance of plant closings and mass layoffs.”

In a statement Friday, GOP Senators John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte accused Obama of putting “his own reelection ahead of the interests of working Americans and our national security by promising government contractors that their salary and liability costs will be covered at taxpayer expense if they do not follow the law that requires advance warning to employees of jobs that may be lost due to sequestration. … Apparently, President Obama puts politics ahead of American workers by denying them adequate time to plan their finances and take care of their families. The people who work in the defense industry and other government contracting companies deserve as much notice as possible that they are on track to lose their jobs.”/QUOTE]
45/47

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2012, 11:41 AM

And We get stuck paying for the many lawsuits for Lockheed-Martin NOT doing what the law states.

Thanks again Owe-bama.

As long as its OTHER PEOPLES TAX DOLLARS!!!

Owe-bama is a real jerk!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 03:34 PM

Daily Caller has an Obama video from 2007. It looks like he's giving the sermon at Rev Wright's Church. It will be aired on Hannity.

Drudge Report has alleged quote:

OBAMA DECLARES HOW POOR PEOPLE: 'Need help with basic skills, how to shop, how to show up for work on time, how to wear the right clothes, how to act appropriately in an office'... Developing...
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 05:05 PM

You know the GOP is desperate when they resort to Rev. Wright attacks in 2012.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 05:43 PM

Especially when the "Breaking News" video is from 2007 and has been in circulation ever since. OMG!!!

In all seriousness to my good friends on the right.. If you are going to go there then why not claim something really outlandish. Like Obama pimped out white girls for college tuition or something.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2012, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure the 2007 card is the best play considering how Romney's been held accountable for every word he's said for the last 6 years.

OTOH, considering how people didn't care when Biden talked like a black guy, I don't see people holding it against an actual black guy.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Especially when the "Breaking News" video is from 2007 and has been in circulation ever since. OMG!!!
In all seriousness to my good friends on the right.. If you are going to go there then why not claim something really outlandish. Like Obama pimped out white girls for college tuition or something.
OAW
An editted version was in circulation, not the full recording. It did not have the off script race card speech. What happened to "no red or blue states?"
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You know the GOP is desperate when they resort to Rev. Wright attacks in 2012.
OAW
I have to think that if this was worth anything, it'd have surfaced in '08, not now. Feels like a political Hail Mary.

An editted version was in circulation, not the full recording. It did not have the off script race card speech. What happened to "no red or blue states?"

So Fox covered the event but didn't find anything noteworthy then....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2012, 09:55 AM

So it's a "race card speech" when Obama merely stated facts when he said that the federal government didn't respond to Hurricane Katrina victims in the same was as it did 911 and Hurricane Andrew victims? The bottom line here is that the Stafford Act was NOT waived for Hurricane Katrina recovery effort like it was for the 911 and Hurricane Andrew recovery efforts even though the devastation was FAR GREATER ... which is precisely why such waivers are granted.

This latest "nontroversy" is because many of our good friends on the right have convinced themselves that simply acknowledging the obvious with respect to disparate treatment on the basis of race and/or class is equivalent to "racism" or "classism" itself. And of course, the federal government has no history whatsoever of such things right?

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 AM

So, we aren't going to blame the Mayor of NO for not knowing how to ask for help, as he is supposed to know as part of his job?

What about all those school buses that ended up being flooded which could have bben used to evacuate more folks faster.

This has been the KNOW FACTS for several years now.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
So, we aren't going to blame the Mayor of NO for not knowing how to ask for help, as he is supposed to know as part of his job?
What about all those school buses that ended up being flooded which could have bben used to evacuate more folks faster.
This has been the KNOW FACTS for several years now.
And what does any of this have to do with the issue at hand .... namely, the Stafford Act waivers?

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules