Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bad week for the USA - IRS corruption.

Bad week for the USA - IRS corruption. (Page 3)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My bad on this again. Read too quick. Sorry.
I'm going to have to ask you to stop SKIMMING!

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; May 21, 2013 at 06:21 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 06:17 PM

IRS’s Lois Lerner to take the Fifth - Lauren French and Ginger Gibson - POLITICO.com

Seems to me that if you are going to take the fifth at a Congressional hearing you should be suspended at a minimum.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I'm going to have to ask you to stop SKIMMING!

OAW
Something both sides of the aisle can agree on.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 09:22 PM

However, I still maintain comparing the Tea Party to the Taliban is from outer space.

If he had called the Tea Party the KKK wing of American politics, I would very strongly disagree, but at least that would make sense.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 09:59 PM

In all honesty I think that comparison is sometimes made due to the far right's hostility to the notion of the separation of church and state. And this idea that somehow government is supposed to reflect and espouse a very conservative vision of Christianity. Because you know ... that's what "freedom of religion" really means after all.

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2013, 11:51 PM

In all honesty I think that comparison is sometimes made due to the far right's hostility to the notion of the separation of church and state. And this idea that somehow government is supposed to reflect and espouse a very conservative vision of Christianity. Because you know ... that's what "freedom of religion" really means after all.
Wow, now you're really reaching.

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 22, 2013, 06:39 AM

I thought that pleading the 5th meant that you are refusing to answer to keep from INCRIMINATING YOURSELF. Can you actually just refuse to answer 'even though you did nothing wrong' ??
( Last edited by BadKosh; May 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
LOL!!! Seems the LEFT is who spends so much time suing anything they can to remove any documentation of past religious monuments, no matter how they got where they were. Intolerance seems to be what the left does best.
Freedom OF Religion, not FROM Religion. There is also an effort to change it to freedom of worship.

Pro life groups were/are also being targeted.

Grassley: IRS Told Pro-Life Group to Swear It Would Not Protest Planned Parenthood | CNS News

“This comes directly from Iowa, one of my constituents attempted to establish 501(c)(3) charity called Coalition for Life of Iowa. She told my staff that an IRS agent told her ‘Your application’s ready to go. However, it will not be approved until you send a letter signed by your entire board under penalty of perjury saying that you will not protest at Planned Parenthood,’” Grassley said at a Senate Finance Committee hearing on the IRS’ targeting of conservative groups.

In addition to the order that the group promise not to protest Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, Grassley’s constituent received a letter from the IRS with “several invasive questions, including the details of the group’s prayer meeting,” he said.
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Freedom OF Religion, not FROM Religion.
This, my friends, is why the New Atheists are sometimes so aggressive and mean-spirited.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 12:32 PM

I thought that pleading the 5th meant that you are refusing to answer to keep from INCRIMINATING YOURSELF. Can you actually just refuse to answer 'even though you did nothing wrong' ??
Yes. The 5th gives you the right not to be a witness against yourself.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 12:53 PM

OAW
Then he's mixing up his factions. That's not the position of the Tea Party.

If he said "the religious right is the Taliban wing of American politics", this is another thing I'd disagree with, but would actually make sense.

Bond's beef with the Tea Party seems to be that they're racists. While the Taliban are racists, it's not their main thing. As you implied, their deal is religion.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 11:28 AM

Issa is going to call her back.

IRS scandal hearing: Darrell Issa says Lois Lerner lost her rights - POLITICO.com
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 09:41 PM

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2013, 10:27 PM

We're still paying her salary though. She belongs in jail.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 24, 2013, 06:22 AM

She needs to come back and spill the beans. She did the same sort of crap when she was at FEC. The woman has a pattern.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
We're still paying her salary though. She belongs in jail.
She'll disappear for a while until the dust settles and then we will have heard of her promotion through Obama's cabinet.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2013, 11:23 AM

Of course they will, good weasels are hard to find (though bad weasels are everywhere).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules