Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No third party 2011 iMac drives?

No third party 2011 iMac drives? (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 05:06 PM

I gladly paid the $200 for the black MacBook (it also got an extra $40 worth of hard drive space ) for the simple knowledge of spending what turned out to be the next four and a half years working with a machine that was just that bit nicer to the touch and to look at.

IOW, I paid extra for a better experience.

I can understand your gripe, mind. I'm just not as bothered as you are.

If they find that they can't get away with a "shameless cash grab" by forcing you to consider your choices and possibly opting for a more expensive version, then they'll have to change their ways.
As it stands, their stance is making them money, and making you wrong.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's interesting to note, though, that you've left out laptop price comparisons. It seems to me like the last two revisions of the MBP line have been priced more aggressively than previous generations of MBPs or PowerBooks. It may be more accurate to say that Apple's best selling computer line is priced more aggressively today than in the past, whereas Apple's lower-selling computer lines are priced less aggressively.
That's because Apple has a full spectrum of fairly competitive portable computers. Sure, they lack the $500 budget laptop, but look at the range...

You start at the iPad and you have...

iPad Wifi
iPad 3G
MacBook (white plastic)
MacBook Air 11"
MacBook Air 13"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"
MacBook Pro 17"

That's a lot of range. Comparatively the desktop lineup looks pathetic.

Mini
Mini Server
iMac 21"
iMac 27"
Mac Pro

You can also swap out the hard drive on any of their laptops easier then you can on a Mini or iMac. What's up with that?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 12:52 AM

Not quite.

It's actually because the laptop market *itself* is still competitive.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2011, 04:53 AM

To a lot of people its utter madness that you can't buy a 15" Mac Laptop for under £1400 when you can buy a Dell for £300. I know there are other massive variations in spec but Apple still seems to charge a hefty premium for display panel sizes which was justifiable when they were £500 parts but really isn't any more now that they are £50 parts.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 05:52 AM

It makes the product lineup extremely simple.

Within a product line, smaller machine = smaller spec, and bigger machine = bigger spec.

This can make for problems if you have specific requirements, but — speaking as someone who's worked in Mac sales for a number of years — it simplifies the decision-making process for a customer *enormously*.

Seriously, this sometimes mad simplicity is one of the biggest things Apple has going for them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It makes the product lineup extremely simple.

Within a product line, smaller machine = smaller spec, and bigger machine = bigger spec.

This can make for problems if you have specific requirements, but — speaking as someone who's worked in Mac sales for a number of years — it simplifies the decision-making process for a customer *enormously*.

Seriously, this sometimes mad simplicity is one of the biggest things Apple has going for them.
Yeah simplicity is great but by that logic why not just have one model of Mac and charge $1,000,000 each for them.
It simplifies things for consumer imbeciles and yes we all know they are Apple's bread and butter these days the non-retarded Apple customers (usually the long term users) are not a small enough section to ignore completely.

I have a die-hard Apple lover customer who has for the first time ever bought a couple of PCs for his business because buying an iMac or even a Mini for email and web is ludicrously overpriced. Its literally double the price. The iPad should be helping here but it is also double the cost of an admin PC and won't run Office.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 09:16 AM

So you've bought a non-Apple computer because Apple doesn't offer anything in the cut-throat zero-margin sub-$300 bargain-bin crapmarket?

How is that in the slightest bit relevant to what people have been asking for?

Edit: I see you mentioned the 300 limit above. However, I would *really* like to see you find a 300£ laptop that has comparable specs to a 15" MacBook Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules