Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Firefox discriminating?

Firefox discriminating?
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2004, 10:28 AM

I think my Firefox is racist or something...

I always use the auto-complete thingy in URLs rather than bookmarks ('cause I hate bookmarks), but there are just some URLs that refuse to stay in the list of auto-complete-URLs (yeah, that's not what it's called, but you know what I mean).

For instance, the MacNN forums are always located at the same place, the fourth on the list when I type "f". But mail.yahoo.com (which also needs checking occasionally) always disappears. I can type it in, leave the site and go back and type "mail." and it's gone.

Is this a Firefox bug, or is it just mine being URL-racist?

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
I think my Firefox is racist or something...

I always use the auto-complete thingy in URLs rather than bookmarks ('cause I hate bookmarks), but there are just some URLs that refuse to stay in the list of auto-complete-URLs (yeah, that's not what it's called, but you know what I mean).

For instance, the MacNN forums are always located at the same place, the fourth on the list when I type "f". But mail.yahoo.com (which also needs checking occasionally) always disappears. I can type it in, leave the site and go back and type "mail." and it's gone.

Is this a Firefox bug, or is it just mine being URL-racist?
Because mail.yahoo.com usually becomes http://us.f209.mail.yahoo.com... the page isn't loaded until it's been redirected to another server so Firefox only captures the us.f209. part.

Try that.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Because mail.yahoo.com usually becomes http://us.f209.mail.yahoo.com... the page isn't loaded until it's been redirected to another server so Firefox only captures the us.f209. part.

Try that.
Nope, the us.f209 URLs disappear as well, tried those... 'tis moste weirde...

(Oh, I just realised, maybe this should be in the software forum or something instead?)

vertex
Jun 29, 2004, 10:47 AM

Not sure if this'll help, but .9.1 has just been released today.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 10:48 AM

Nope, the us.f209 URLs disappear as well, tried those... 'tis moste weirde...

(Oh, I just realised, maybe this should be in the software forum or something instead?)
It just worked for me... for the second time.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by vertex:
Not sure if this'll help, but .9.1 has just been released today.
Ooh, yeah, I should have said - I haven't even updated to 0.9 yet...

Anybody know if the Safari skin for FF:win works on 0.9 as well as it does on 0.8?

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
It just worked for me... for the second time.
As I said - 'tis moste weirde...

It's not just Yahoo!Mail that does it, there are a few other sites as well, ones that aren't reloaded... The WordPress forums for instance...

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 09:14 PM

Why don't you save yourself the time that you spent making this post, and just make a bookmark? Even better, why don't yuo just make a little html page with links to all your favourite pages on it, and use it as your start page in FF? Problem solved.
weird wabbit

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:24 PM

Firefox is for Racists�

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
Why don't you save yourself the time that you spent making this post, and just make a bookmark? Even better, why don't yuo just make a little html page with links to all your favourite pages on it, and use it as your start page in FF? Problem solved.
Because I hate bookmarks. Always have, always will. I don't know why, I just can't stand them. I'd rather type the the URL every time, actually.

Same with those link-list start page thingies, hate them...

It's not like it's a big problem or anything, I was just kind of wondering, 'cause I thought it was quite strange...

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 02:49 AM

you're a real guy. you hate something so much you post about it on a forum, but you don't go to any steps to actually fix it by making it a bookmark.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
you're a real guy. you hate something so much you post about it on a forum, but you don't go to any steps to actually fix it by making it a bookmark.
I don't "hate" it... I mean, okay, it's a little annoying, but it's no big deal, it's nothing I'm losing sleep over. And as I've already said (twice), I'd rather type in the URLs than use bookmarks (because those I do hate). Why the hostility?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:31 AM

....Why the hostility?
Because this counts as one of the dumbest posts ever?

I know that Safari will autocomplete bookmarked pages. Perhaps FF does this as well, although it means that you'll actually have to press Ctrl-D on your PC.
weird wabbit

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 10:35 AM

Because I hate bookmarks. Always have, always will. I don't know why, I just can't stand them. I'd rather type the the URL every time, actually.

Same with those link-list start page thingies, hate them...

It's not like it's a big problem or anything, I was just kind of wondering, 'cause I thought it was quite strange...
*high five*

Bookmarks are for weenies that can't remember important stuff.

That being said, Internet Explorer often exhibits that same behaviour. Not all URLs are 'indexed'. No rhyme or reason to it. Guess that's why I love IE.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 10:44 AM

And as I've already said (twice), I'd rather type in the URLs than use bookmarks (because those I do hate).
But you don't need to actually use the bookmark! Once you create it, Firefox should cache the address, which means you can use autocomplete. Try it.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
But you don't need to actually use the bookmark! Once you create it, Firefox should cache the address, which means you can use autocomplete. Try it.
Aha, see now this I didn't know! Thank ye kindly, good sir.

And excuses to others for blatant display of stupidity, etc. Pure genetics, it's all my father's fault... or something...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2004, 01:06 PM

You got no place else to bitch about that ?
Please don't trash the forum with your idiosyncracies...

YOU are "moste weirde" [sic]

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules