Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a MacBook Pro today. I am so sad.

Got a MacBook Pro today. I am so sad.
Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:29 PM

My day started out in the toilet. Getting out of my car at work, I stumbled and dropped my bag. Only fell 6-8 inches, my PB was in a sleeve in a bag, I didn't really worry to much. Got to my desk, pulled out the PB and saw the devestation.

It booted, but the backlight on the screen is gone, the fan is really, REALLY loud and BT and WiFi are gone.

I depend on this thing to do my job, so it's off the the Apple Store. I got a MBP 2.0. Doing the system transfer now. I wish I could be happy about this.

The PB (1.67, 80GB, 128MB video RAM, 1.5GB RAM) will cost between $550-$800 to fix. I'll send it off tomorrow and give it to my wife when it comes back (she's on a Pismo 500 now- any one want to buy one in a few weeks?)

I'll post a review in, according to the system transfer utilily, ~5 hours.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:39 PM

Hey, sorry to hear about it. Look on the brightside, not many of us could just go and buy on that day, nor actually have it that day too.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Hey, sorry to hear about it. Look on the brightside, not many of us could just go and buy on that day, nor actually have it that day too.
You speak truth. Thanks for the reality check. I am very fortunate.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I'll be finally getting an iMac soon -- because my PB HD died about a month or two after the LCD died which was almost a year ago... but I'm looking forward to the awesome processor and new XP options, so it should be fun.

epluth
Apr 6, 2006, 02:51 PM

ouch... sorry to hear that

Didnt apple in the past boast about how you could virtually drop your laptop, and it would be ok?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 02:56 PM

Terribly unfortunate, Paco. I'd feel like jumping off a bridge if something like that happened to me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by epluth
ouch... sorry to hear that

Didnt apple in the past boast about how you could virtually drop your laptop, and it would be ok?
I've never seen that. The aluminum looks cool, but I think chaep plastic does a better job of shock absorption. The metal just dents.

epluth
Apr 6, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
I've never seen that. The aluminum looks cool, but I think chaep plastic does a better job of shock absorption. The metal just dents.
No, it was back when apple came out with the clamshells... I unfortunately have one that wont die... Actually just a dust collector now, since its virtually worth nothing now or I'd sell it.

Anyhow, yeah, the metal is nice, but not durable at all.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 03:10 PM

Wow, that's a shame. I've done that before without any damage, so it's kind of scary to think what could have happened. I have insurance, though — I recommend that for any laptop owners. On the plus side, you now have a nearly identical but much faster computer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 03:23 PM

I accidentally dropped a bag that had my Pismo in it once. Same as you - about 6 inches or so. The thing just kept chugging along. God, the Pismo was such a tank.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Variable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 04:36 PM

Ordered the new intel laptop and after many delays it finally arrived last week. It was a thing of beauty except the mousepad didnt work and none of the programs would open. After being bounced passed 5 people, customer services told me that I had to drop it off at a repair place as a replacement would take 4weeks for delivery as I didnt buy it from an apple store but from them directly. They thought i had done something as this was my first laptop!

The repair place has fobbed me off for the last 4 working days (something about workload) and they hope to have it done by monday. Was it worth it? Ask me in about 2weeks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I accidentally dropped a bag that had my Pismo in it once. Same as you - about 6 inches or so. The thing just kept chugging along. God, the Pismo was such a tank.
I think it's funny how when the Lombard came out (the Pismo's predecessor, which shares the build quality and case design), everyone whined about how flimsy it was. The Wallstreets were the real tanks.

tooki

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 04:49 PM

My day started out in the toilet. Getting out of my car at work, I stumbled and dropped my bag. Only fell 6-8 inches, my PB was in a sleeve in a bag, I didn't really worry to much. Got to my desk, pulled out the PB and saw the devestation.
What kind of bag and sleeve was it? Did the bag contain any heavy books that might've crushed the PB on impact?

This is an interesting data point for those looking into sleeves and bags. Frankly, I'd never carry a MacBook in a bag that didn't have some sort of suspension cushioning built-in. Sleeves are only good for scratch protection, not impact protection.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
What kind of bag and sleeve was it? Did the bag contain any heavy books that might've crushed the PB on impact?

This is an interesting data point for those looking into sleeves and bags. Frankly, I'd never carry a MacBook in a bag that didn't have some sort of suspension cushioning built-in. Sleeves are only good for scratch protection, not impact protection.
Sleeve:

Bag:

The bag has decent padding. Pretty good I'd say. Sleeve is mostly cosmetic, but it should add a BIT of protection.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 05:11 PM

That's disappointing. I'd been thinking about getting a Booq bag up until now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
The Wallstreets were the real tanks.
I don't know, I have seen some pretty badly damaged Wallstreets.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:15 PM

I've got a cheap Point Zero bag, it's done a great job.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:29 PM

Sleeve:

Bag:

The bag has decent padding. Pretty good I'd say. Sleeve is mostly cosmetic, but it should add a BIT of protection.
You're saying it was in both of those and STILL suffered said damage?

Aren't there some sleeve/bags which offer damage guarantees?

Does Applecare cover such damage?

Homeowner insurance?

Renters insurance?

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by abe
You're saying it was in both of those and STILL suffered said damage?
Really ? I have a very hard time believing that. If it was in both these things, it should have been better padded than in the box it originally came in.

-t

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Really ? I have a very hard time believing that. If it was in both these things, it should have been better padded than in the box it originally came in.

-t
What can I tell you- believe it. I'll post pictures of the damage when I'm done doing the system transfer.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:45 PM

As a side note, I've dropped the bag from higher more than once without damage. Must have been the angle this time.

The sleeve has VERY little padding, it's mostly to prevent scratches. The Bag looks like it has serious padding, but I'm nor pretty skeptical.

The damage is not to the corner as you might expect- looks more like someone took a ball peen hammer to the hinge- big ding in the the back.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 07:47 PM

Damn, I dropped my AL powerbook off a kitchen table on to tile floor (it fell to the left front corner) then again on wood floors (this time back left corner) the table is easily 3' off the ground. No bag, no protection whatsoever. Only damage is a small dent in the front and I had to tighten the hinge for the screen.

I guess its luck of the fall... Glad you got a new one though!

EDIT: Here is my damage

Forum Links
Forum Rules