Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Voice quality on the iPhone 4 in comparison to HTC Droid phones

Voice quality on the iPhone 4 in comparison to HTC Droid phones
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2010, 09:49 PM

I'm going to buy a smart phone next year, and the iPhone is in pole position as soon as it comes to Verizon.

How's the voice quality in comparison to good phone-only phones?

PS: I met several very happy users of the HTC phone. They say images are displayed better on its screen. What do you say about that? I always thought the iPhone 4 had the best available screen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
PS: I met several very happy users of the HTC phone. They say images are displayed better on its screen. What do you say about that? I always thought the iPhone 4 had the best available screen.
Smartphone �Super� LCD-OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2010, 03:30 PM

tl;dr

"...but on the other hand its color gamut is too small, producing under saturated somewhat washed-out colors, and its image contrast is too high, which produces punchier images and also partially compensates for its smaller color gamut. These were most likely intentional tradeoffs made by Apple to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. None-the-less the iPhone 4 earned our Best Mobile Display Award in the DisplayMate Best Video Hardware Guide."

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2010, 04:41 PM

From my survey of two (iPhone 4's), I find if hard to imagine that any device has the screen beat. The iPhone 4 is pretty awesome at everything apart from the Phone part, where it is mediocre at best. If you can forgive the poor call volume, dropped and failed calls and the random face dialling it's fine.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Nov 21, 2010, 07:47 PM

I love everything about my iphone, except the phone part. The apps are great, push, mail, messaging, camera, video, everything, except the call volume, clarity, drops, reception in comparison to my old Verizon phone. For me the phone part just sux.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2010, 07:53 PM

Well, I really can't compare the iPhone 4 "phone" part, since my last non-iPhone phone dates to some 2.5 years ago.

But let me say this: I use the "phone" much less than everything else.
So for me, the phone doesn't have to be superior.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2010, 08:01 PM

I've never owned a dumbphone with anywhere near-landline voice quality, but the iPhone 4 is one of the best sounding mobile I've ever used. Only other phone that sounded better to me was the original Motorola Droid.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 21, 2010, 08:07 PM

Despite my earlier plans, I picked up an iPhone 4 last weekend. I also use it mostly for non-phone purposes (closing in on 3000 rollover minutes), but have had no complaints about the phone's sound quality.

As for the display...compared to my old 3GS, it is AMAZING. I pulled out a magnifying glass the other day and still couldn't distinguish the pixels.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Interesting. The Motorola Droid wins over the iPhone in picture quality.

Now it would be interesting how the voice quality is. For me voice quality is important, as my cell is my business phone.

Looks like I have to give HTC and Motorola a serious look.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
From my survey of two (iPhone 4's), I find if hard to imagine that any device has the screen beat. The iPhone 4 is pretty awesome at everything apart from the Phone part, where it is mediocre at best. If you can forgive the poor call volume, dropped and failed calls and the random face dialling it's fine.
Do you think this is iPhone 4's fault, or AT&T's?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've never owned a dumbphone with anywhere near-landline voice quality, but the iPhone 4 is one of the best sounding mobile I've ever used. Only other phone that sounded better to me was the original Motorola Droid.
Which other smart phones have you used, imitchellg5? So I know what you are comparing the voice quality with.

I currently use an LG phone (phone only). It's 3 years old, and the voice quality matches a land line's. Maybe that's also, in part, Verizon's quality.

I'm really curious how the iPhone will do on Verizon's network.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2010, 03:38 AM

Do you think this is iPhone 4's fault, or AT&T's?
Well certainly not AT&T, since I'm on O2 in the UK. I'd put the blame fairly on Apple. The phone on my old 3GS was no great shakes but it was definitely better that that on the 4. The 4 does get a signal where the 3GS wouldn't but other than that it's a worse performer.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Well certainly not AT&T, since I'm on O2 in the UK. I'd put the blame fairly on Apple. The phone on my old 3GS was no great shakes but it was definitely better that that on the 4. The 4 does get a signal where the 3GS wouldn't but other than that it's a worse performer.
I appreciate the comment.

I'll see what the iPhone 5 will offer, and if the voice quality doesn't improve, I'll check out HTC.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 09:48 PM

Which other smart phones have you used, imitchellg5? So I know what you are comparing the voice quality with.

I currently use an LG phone (phone only). It's 3 years old, and the voice quality matches a land line's. Maybe that's also, in part, Verizon's quality.

I'm really curious how the iPhone will do on Verizon's network.
Pretty much every headliner smartphone. Right now I have a 2 year old LG phone, and it's quite good, but not local landline good.

As far as voice quality itself goes, it's more an issue of signal strength in your area. No matter what the hardware is, if you can't get a good signal, you're not going to have enough throughput to carry a good conversation. I think if you have an AT&T iPhone 4 and a VZW iPhone 4 at the exact same signal strength that voice quality difference would be completely negligible.

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
As far as voice quality itself goes, it's more an issue of signal strength in your area. No matter what the hardware is, if you can't get a good signal, you're not going to have enough throughput to carry a good conversation. I think if you have an AT&T iPhone 4 and a VZW iPhone 4 at the exact same signal strength that voice quality difference would be completely negligible.
I think UMTS and CDMA 2000 will use different vocoders too.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2010, 12:44 AM

I wonder if the HTC has similar loss of voice quality when compared to a regular cell.

Why the hell are smart phones so dumb in making a call?

Is it an antenna thing? Or is it a speaker thing, that doesn't fit well on that shiny brick that all those smart phones are? In this case a blue tooth ear thingy could improve voice quality.

Voice quality is important to me, as my cell is my business phone. I can't just say to a potential customer: "Would you say that again? My smart phone is voice challenged."

Forum Links
Forum Rules