Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cyberduck

Cyberduck
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 05:44 AM

I have been using Fetch so far, but heard a lot about Cyberduck.

FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files, Google Docs & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac & Windows.

What's the main difference to Fetch? Is it better?

quack!

Thorzdad
Jun 21, 2011, 07:52 AM

Fetch: Long-long-time Mac developer. Must purchase after trial period. Only $29.
Cyberduck: The new-ish kid. Donationware.

Beyond that, it's really just a question of which workflow feels better to you, since they both do the same thing. Both of them have issues with uploading to one of my clients' Network Solutions server, but I think that's an issue with NS, not Fetch or Cyberduck.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 AM

Cyberduck's been around for a long time, maybe "new-ish" relative to Fetch but it's very mature. I use Forklift 2 and Flow (both new and very good) but still resort to Cyberduck from time to time as it's bulletproof. I think Cyberduck's been released for Windows recently which is great seeing as I couldn't find a decent (free) Windows FTP program (and FileZilla is an ugle POS).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 AM

Switched from Fetch over to Cyberduck at work, I prefer it. They both do the same basic things though.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 11:42 AM

I've been using Cyberduck for the last few years. It just works - I've never had an issue and the layout is nice and intuitive.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2011, 08:16 PM

I've used both, Cyberduck first, 'cause free, then it stopped working for me, switched to Fetch, still works fine. If you have Fetch, why switch? They both are the same thing with slightly different GUIs. Maybe, as dog nut, I'm biased to see the dog running...

So try CD, free download and see what feels best.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Cyberduck's been around for a long time, maybe "new-ish" relative to Fetch but it's very mature. I use Forklift 2 and Flow (both new and very good) but still resort to Cyberduck from time to time as it's bulletproof. I think Cyberduck's been released for Windows recently which is great seeing as I couldn't find a decent (free) Windows FTP program (and FileZilla is an ugle POS).
Would you say Forklift and/or Flow are better than Cyberduck?

I haven't tried any of these three and only used Fetch so far, but I'm interested what else is out there.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Would you say Forklift and/or Flow are better than Cyberduck?

I haven't tried any of these three and only used Fetch so far, but I'm interested what else is out there.
I bought Forklift 1, Forklift 2, and Flow 1 and at this point in time would recommend Transmit 4 over all others. Very mature/robust, very fast, and very pretty but without the quirks of Forklift or Flow.

bernicky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2011, 06:45 PM

I didn't much like Cyberduck. I found FileZilla was the easiest FTP client of those I have tried. I manage five sites using it and haven't experienced any problems with it. If you know how to use a file manager you know how to use FileZilla.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2011, 08:35 PM

At some point I started using Fugu instead of fetch or cyberduck. It's friendly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules