Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many suits do you own?

How many suits do you own?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 07:57 AM

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of new suits, but I'm wondering, how many suits does the average MacNN guy own and regularly wear? I tried to make a poll but there was a forum error. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 08:39 AM

None.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 08:42 AM

I wear a full suit 2-3 times a week, separates (or casual day) for the rest. I'm at 8 fulls suits + various trousers now, and slowly building a collection. I'm going to order a brown suit or another charcoal suit before Xmas - I've only got trousers in a brown shade, but I'm still not sure if I'd wear a full brown suit enough to make it worth my money at this point. (Charcoal of course is pretty standard at a conservative business office.)
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 08:48 AM

5 suits. 4 business and one for funerals. I get to wear casual clothes a lot at work.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 09:28 AM

None.

I suspect the Suit is slowly become obsolete in terms of men's fashion. Used to be if you worked in any sort of corporate environment, suits were the norm, whereas today Business Casual (khakis and something other than a t-shirt) seems to be the norm with jeans becoming more and more common. Suits, in my experience, seem to becoming limited to lawyers and CEOs.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 09:48 AM

One, and I wear it maybe once or twice a year. The subject of business dress actually entered my mind yesterday, as I was watching a panel of Silicon Valley luminaries discussing the impact of Steve Jobs. One of them talked about Apple in it's earliest days, where people wore what they wanted to work, and were allowed behavior that was considered unfathomable in a "normal" business setting. It struck me that Steve not only revolutionized the way many businesses worked, but he also had a hand in changing how employees dress anywhere. When I was younger, it was unheard of to work in a business or office environment without wearing a suit, and when one went to church, one dressed up. When my family went out to dinner, we dressed up. Look inside an Apple Store, and you'll employees with torn jeans, sandals, shorts, every manner of hair style and jewelry adornments, etc. Steve himself didn't own a suit until Apple was already successful.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 09:50 AM

8 or so. Never counted them.

I wear suits a couple of weeks per year.
In the office, it's mostly just dress pants and dress shirt, w/o jacket and tie.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2011, 09:51 AM

None.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 AM

I own two if you count birthday suits. The other one is for weddings and funerals or if I ever have to go to court I guess.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
One, and I wear it maybe once or twice a year. The subject of business dress actually entered my mind yesterday, as I was watching a panel of Silicon Valley luminaries discussing the impact of Steve Jobs. One of them talked about Apple in it's earliest days, where people wore what they wanted to work, and were allowed behavior that was considered unfathomable in a "normal" business setting. It struck me that Steve not only revolutionized the way many businesses worked, but he also had a hand in changing how employees dress anywhere. When I was younger, it was unheard of to work in a business or office environment without wearing a suit, and when one went to church, one dressed up. When my family went out to dinner, we dressed up. Look inside an Apple Store, and you'll employees with torn jeans, sandals, shorts, every manner of hair style and jewelry adornments, etc. Steve himself didn't own a suit until Apple was already successful.
Well, Apple Stores are completely different from "business or office environments." But I do think that businesses are getting more casual - whether that's a good thing or not is another question.

In any case, I just like suits anyway - if I'm going out anywhere semi-classy (i.e. not a pub) for the evening I'll usually throw on a suit. Like a boss.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 12:02 PM

None. I work in my underwear or swim trunks.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 12:11 PM

One. I rarely wear it. My wife's cousin from Joliet married in 1999 and she wanted me in a suit.
45/47

Thorzdad
Nov 15, 2011, 12:31 PM

None. I own one jacket and a couple of pair of slacks, which I wear to funerals and weddings. I haven't owned an actual suit for at least 20 years.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 12:46 PM

None. I've never worn a suit.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 12:48 PM

Never? In your life? Wow, very interesting. Don't some of you guys still wears suits at formal religious events?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 12:49 PM

I haven't really ever had a reason to, I suppose. Never been to any weddings or anything, and the last funeral I went to was when I was like 10. Every job interview I've been to said "business casual." I do have some nice slacks and whatnot, but nothing that would constitute a proper suit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
None. I've never worn a suit.
That's one of those things that as soon as I realize, I'm going to start trying to see how long I can keep going to the detriment of reason.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 01:04 PM

Hahah ^^^^

I managed about 18 years before ever wearing a suit. About 28 before owning one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 01:26 PM

I wear suits for work almost every day. I own four.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 01:40 PM

~25 or so. Some are costumes though, like my powder blue 70's leisure suit. Classic.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 01:48 PM

Four: black, grey, navy, tan. I also have a few casual jackets for wearing with jeans.

I wear suits twice on Sundays, then whenever there's a funeral/wedding/conference. But if I had my way, I'd wear one maybe once a year.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 02:06 PM

I have 5 suits that I wear on a regular basis and a tuxedo for weddings.
I wear suits weekly for religious services and whenever I meet with a client or go to a conference (rarely).

I have a ton of tshirts and polo shirts since I wear those to work everyday.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 02:07 PM

Just one really. I wear it a half-dozen times a year. Normally I have my "summer uniform", which is a black long-sleeved tee, cargo shorts, and flip-flops, or my "winter uniform", which is a black long-sleeved tee, jeans, and boots.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2011, 02:11 PM

One day it's going to be exclusively Lawyers, Executives, and Politicians that wear suits, and it'll be real easy to just know who to shun.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
One day it's going to be exclusively Lawyers, Executives, and Politicians that wear suits, and it'll be real easy to just know who to shun.
Hipsters would just then start wearing them ironically.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2011, 02:17 PM

They get off on being shunned.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
...my "winter uniform", which is a black long-sleeved tee, jeans, and boots.
Replace the boots with white New Balance shoes, and there might be a new opportunity for you in the Cupertino, CA region.

My "daily uniform" is basically black Chucks, a Target v-neck, and straight-leg jeans -- almost every (non-Sunday) day for 9 months out of the year.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Nov 15, 2011 at 02:23 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of new suits, but I'm wondering, how many suits does the average MacNN guy own and regularly wear? I tried to make a poll but there was a forum error. . .
Recommendation: J-Crew's "Ludlow" line. The cut is nice and modern, and you can catch them on sale (around 50% off) on jcrew.com every now and then.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you, Jawbone.

andi*pandi
Nov 15, 2011, 02:34 PM

Having just recently cleaned my closet, I found one pant suit and one dress with matching jacket that I guess counts. Dressy enough that people at work ask me if I'm going to an interview.

I also keep my 90s power suit for the day when the designers rule the world.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Recommendation: J-Crew's "Ludlow" line. The cut is nice and modern, and you can catch them on sale (around 50% off) on jcrew.com every now and then.
How expensive are those? I'm not big on spending a lot on suits. I'm probably going to return it tonight, but I got a suit from Banana for under $200 the other day.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 02:43 PM

I'd recommend made-to-measure. Several good m2m manufacturers out there now, and you can dial in your size and get a nice fit - not to mention cut out the middle man and get a better-quality suit than what $500 will generally get you elsewhere. Plus you get to pick your material, personalized details, etc. etc. I generally spend about $400-$550 on my suits - don't think I'd appreciate the difference if I went higher, but I sure notice how awkward-fitting cheaper suits tend to be.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Replace the boots with white New Balance shoes, and there might be a new opportunity for you in the Cupertino, CA region.
I passed on the offer.

Two words: black socks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 02:56 PM

Mac, do you have a real tailor near you? Nothing fits better than an individually tailored suit. You get to pick your favorite fabrics and choose style variants that aren't as common in off the rack garments. John H. Daniel makes most of my suits and I've been very happy with their work. Yes, they are more expensive, but it really depends on the fabrics and the detail. It's worth looking at, if you want the best fit and look.

Edit: Also, look into retailers that sell previous year Armani and Versace collection offerings, sometimes you can discounts as high as 40-50%. I have several of each and they're many cuts above the regular mass-produced retail suit.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I'd recommend made-to-measure. Several good m2m manufacturers out there now, and you can dial in your size and get a nice fit - not to mention cut out the middle man and get a better-quality suit than what $500 will generally get you elsewhere. Plus you get to pick your material, personalized details, etc. etc. I generally spend about $400-$550 on my suits - don't think I'd appreciate the difference if I went higher, but I sure notice how awkward-fitting cheaper suits tend to be.
Wow. I'm having one of my best months professionally to date, but I'd still prefer not to spend that much on a suit if I could help it. Definitely glad for you that you can justify that kind of cost, though. Maybe I don't know what a proper suit should feel like, but the cheaper rack ones I've gotten by on so far seem to fit me well.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Mac, do you have a real tailor near you? Nothing fits better than an individually tailored suit. You get to pick your favorite fabrics and choose style variants that aren't as common in off the rack garments. John H. Daniel makes most of my suits and I've been very happy with their work. Yes, they are more expensive, but it really depends on the fabrics and the detail. It's worth looking at, if you want the best fit and look.
I'm sure I do, Shaddim, but I've never looked into it, and it sounds pricier than I'd want to spend. OTOH maybe I should listen to you and Shortcut on this one because I have a feeling I'll be wearing suits even more regularly going forward.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 03:08 PM

Do you tailored types not vary in weight much?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 03:10 PM

That's also what I've been wondering about. I expect to take off about 10 to 15 pounds in the next few months, so I don't think custom tailoring would be the best choice right now for me.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 03:12 PM

Now would also be a good time to mention the opposite end of the customer tailored suit option. Syms is liquidating and probably has some great sales if you can find a decent quality suit there that fits you.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 03:16 PM

Sounds like a good idea-but not for me currently because I don't travel to your coast often enough.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2011, 03:19 PM

Zero.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 03:23 PM

I currently own four suits, though I only wear two of them with any regularity. I'd like to replace the other two with new ones in the short term.

In the long term, I'd prefer to wear nothing but bespoke suits...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 03:27 PM

Not a lot. In pants I was a 34W 32L when I graduated HS, still am and I'm over 40. I wear a 42R with an 8" drop, pretty much a standard "Athletic Cut". Been that size for many years now.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:00 PM

I have about a half dozen suits, not counting the purple one I got on a whim in LA and only wear on Halloween or at similar parties.

If you're gonna get a cheap suit, then don't bother (except for Halloween), as you'd probably be better off with just a nice set of dress pants and a nice shirt and tie. Cheap suits look cheap. My dad used to get cheap suits all the time and they all looked terrible. Finally we got sick of it and got him a nice custom tailored suit, and he looked like a million bucks.

However, I don't usually wear them unless I'm presenting somewhere or have an important business meeting with outside visitors or something, and even then I often just go business (semi-)casual. OTOH, if I am going somewhere out of town where a suit may be recommended, I usually wear the suit on the plane. It's quite noticeable how sometimes you get treated that much better checking-in or on the plane, as compared to when you're just dressed in a t-shirt and old jeans.

One good thing about the suits though is that I'm too cheap these days to buy new ones, so if I find my pants for those suits are too tight, then I just lose the weight so I fit them properly again. Fortunately, a well made suit (eg. custom tailored, or else a good suit that's properly sized and altered for you) will last a long, long time if you don't wear it every day.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:10 PM

Look cheap. Gee I hope I haven't been looking cheap to religious functions. My suits fit me well, but they are cheap so I guess I probably have been.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:20 PM

Well, it depends. Some nicer but inexpensive suits are OK, but a LOT of inexpensive suits simply look cheap IMO. OTOH, some more expensive suits can look bad too, esp. if not properly fitted. I guess it's easier to find nice stuff when they're more expensive, since more expensive suits tend to have better styling and have better fabrics, and the stores that sell them often have people there who can fit them to you better and alter them as necessary. For example, polyester tends to be inexpensive, but lots of polyester suits just look bad both because of the fabric quality but also because of the designs. However, if you're intentionally going polyester for the dance club or flashy hipster look or something it might work better.

I personally don't have a tailored suit. What I've done is to go shopping at end of season and get nicely-styled name-brand suits (eg. Kenneth Cole, Emporio Armani, or even just a nice mid-end store-branded one) off the rack, but only on sale, for roughly 40-50% off retail from stores with the proper sales people that deal with this stuff. That meant I would only get 1 or two suits every few years, but that's OK. I stopped at about half-a-dozen, with different colours and designs, including a plain black but stylish one that can work for formal occasions and funerals.

But yeah, that means I'm spending $400+ on a suit, and often more than $500.

P.S. I forgot to mention... I have moderately slim, and I find a lot of cheaper suits don't necessarily fit slim builds well. The cheap off the rack ones are often designed for somewhat heavier builds. A suit like that will just hang funny on a slim person. With more expensive ones, they often have more choice, and will often have designs that fit certain builds better. However, if you're off the norm and you really want a nice fitting suit, then tailor made really is the way to go.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 15, 2011 at 04:36 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 04:29 PM

None, and I will never buy one unless forced at gunpoint.

Weddings and funerals are dress pants a nice shirt and a tie, that's it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:38 PM

I wear ties, and think nice ties can look awesome, but when it comes right down to it, I think ties are a stranger idea than suits. At least a suit can keep you warm in the fall. A tie can what, strangle you?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 04:42 PM

Oh I agree with ties as well, in fact, the usefulness of most formal wear is dubious at best.

I spend the majority of my time with a tool belt strapped on and a pair of worn-in jeans, dressing up ain't my thing.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 04:48 PM

That's also what I've been wondering about. I expect to take off about 10 to 15 pounds in the next few months, so I don't think custom tailoring would be the best choice right now for me.
It's not like we're talking cocktail dresses here, people. Unless your shoulders are getting wider/narrower or you're gaining/losing significant inches in the chest, I can't see the problem.

If the waistline changes, well then you'd have to adjust no matter if it's tailored or no.

Wow. I'm having one of my best months professionally to date, but I'd still prefer not to spend that much on a suit if I could help it. Definitely glad for you that you can justify that kind of cost, though. Maybe I don't know what a proper suit should feel like, but the cheaper rack ones I've gotten by on so far seem to fit me well.
Nothing against them at all - I've still got one or two - but the difference in fit & finish is noticeable to both the person wearing it, and anyone looking at them. To be honest I don't think $500 is an exorbitant amount to spend on a good-looking suit. Plus, the ladies notice a nice suit. And you do want the hot hebrew ladies noticing you, don't you?

(In my case, "hot hebrew lady." )

I'm sure I do, Shaddim, but I've never looked into it, and it sounds pricier than I'd want to spend. OTOH maybe I should listen to you and Shortcut on this one because I have a feeling I'll be wearing suits even more regularly going forward.
There's a difference between getting a custom-made suit and made-to-measure - in the latter it's based off a set pattern (they can make certain modifications for some body types but it's mostly size changes). Thus, generally, cheaper; it may not fit quite as perfectly as a custom tailored version, but it's a damn sight better than your general mass-market suit pattern that's designed to fit the standard shape of for example a 42R, +/- 30 pounds.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
I wear ties, and think nice ties can look awesome, but when it comes right down to it, I think ties are a stranger idea than suits. At least a suit can keep you warm in the fall. A tie can what, strangle you?
The necktie descend from the cravat. The cravat descended from various more functional (though still decorative) neckcloths that are thought to have become popular among the noble/aristocratic set because it was harder to keep shirts immaculately clean in that day and age.

Forum Links
Forum Rules