Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AppleTV as a replacement for DirecTV?

AppleTV as a replacement for DirecTV?
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 12:26 PM

Since I'm paying $130+ a month for DirectTV I'm wondering if an AppleTV could be a viable replacement? The savings would pay for an awful lot of (commercial free) shows.

Any thoughts?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 12:53 PM

It all depends on how much TV you watch.

I dumped cable TV completely, using only Netflix. Can't beat $9 / month.

-t

Cold Warrior
Oct 3, 2010, 12:54 PM

Depends on what you watch and how much it costs on iTunes. Availability is also a concern -- if the shows you want are available quickly or if you have to wait a week or so (assuming that's important to you).

Can you get tv broadcast reception? That would at least get you network tv stuff.

With appletv you'd also lose channel surfing, random movies and sports, and niche channels you may watch more than you realize.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 12:57 PM

YEah, channel surfing is an important thing to consider.

I don't do that, so it was an easy decision for me to dump cable.
Heck, I tried to remember when I watched TV last time. I think it was Craig Ferguson sometime in May. That's the last time I watched TV. That made me cancel cable.

-t

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 01:06 PM

I think my bigger concern is the kids. They watch lots of kids shows, that said: Many are available on YouTube (Mickey Mouse) and/or Netflix (which we have ...)

Good feedback guys!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2010, 01:52 PM

How many different TVs do you have getting DirecTV? I have the biggest Choice package there is that does NOT include "premium" channels. I only have one TV, and I spend less than half what you quote for my DirecTV bill. I get all the Disney channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nick (all of 'em), I get Discovery, Science, Planet Green...tons of stuff that doesn't require any premium channels.

Getting the kids to watch TV in the living room with the rest of the family is a Good Idea. It helps build cohesiveness, it provides support and context to the viewers ("Daddy, could Goofy really fall that far and not get hurt?"), and it helps with expenses too.

If the kids really need their own shows, separate from everyone else, that's a good application for a DVD player or something that gets Netflix/YouTube, etc. My Samsung TV gets both without any added hardware.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2010, 01:59 PM

I have 4 TVs and 3 DVRs. Had Direct for a number of years. Way out of contract now. I can get the same thing with Dish for $74 under current prices. Even better is that the new systems allow multi-room streaming for DVRs ...

Changes are coming, even if I don't go AppleTV. But, any change requires a contract with *someone*. (Even our local overpriced cable company wants a contract now.) So, if I can find a way to do this without a contract then all the better.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules