Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The gone, but not forgotten

The gone, but not forgotten (Page 2)
andi*pandi
Jun 23, 2016, 04:48 PM

No, lerkfish I think got a job where he couldn't goof off during the day.

Daimoni deleted all his posts, every one, except where he is quoted. Not sure if it was some NDS policy at a new job, or just tinfoil hat conspiracy operandi. He was a good hugger though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2016, 04:51 PM

Didn't have to do with not owning the copyright?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Didn't have to do with not owning the copyright?
That sounds about right. It was definitely in protest of something he didn't like site-wise. Took him weeks.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
That sounds about right. It was definitely in protest of something he didn't like site-wise. Took him weeks.
I vaguely remember this. I don't know if it was copyright specifically, but it was about ownership or something like that.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2016, 06:35 PM

I miss tooki, among others.

I am NOT going to start the "Official Thread of People We Wish We Could Forget," nor will I participate in it. I'm working on that forgetting part...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 08:35 PM

Tooki is clearly well liked by the mods and staff, but as a user, I disliked him locking lounge threads for content "not being up to snuff".

Frankly, it was a load of bullshit. People left because of it, and I don't blame them.

Cipher13
Jun 27, 2016, 08:46 AM

Cipher13 deserves a special mention for leading the charge against NewsFactor.
You know, I'd completely forgotten about NFN and all of that. It's been roughly seven years since I stopped coming here; in retrospect, it feels like a lot longer.

I only heard the news of the shutdown via cHanks' facebook page. Despite not being an active member of the forum any longer, I'm glad it'll be sticking around for the foreseeable future.

Tooki is clearly well liked by the mods and staff, but as a user, I disliked him locking lounge threads for content "not being up to snuff".

Frankly, it was a load of bullshit. People left because of it, and I don't blame them.
I never got along with Tooki while he was an admin. We clashed often. After his involvement with administration and moderation ceased, however, he and I got along quite well; such is the burden of leadership, I suppose.

It probably also had something to do with me being a dick (hey, I was young; mea culpa).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2016, 12:01 PM

O hai! How'd that iPod mini flop prediction work out for you?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2016, 02:55 PM

Zing!
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I never got along with Tooki while he was an admin. We clashed often. After his involvement with administration and moderation ceased, however, he and I got along quite well; such is the burden of leadership, I suppose.

It probably also had something to do with me being a dick (hey, I was young; mea culpa).
Well, I always assumed the repeated "Tooki was awesome" sentiments I've heard from upstairs were that he was an awesome guy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2016, 05:32 PM

Wasn't it IceEnclosure who ended up a pretty damned good photog? Think he was on Flickr as DrewShoots or something. Guy really mastered using cheapo equipment to make great photos.

EDIT : Yeah this is him : https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=drewshoots and here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/optimus_prime/

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 2, 2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I miss tooki, among others.
I quit MacNN when I took a job at the fruit cart, and after I left that job, I didn't come back to 'nn. I pretty much left the Mac tech world at that point, though of course I wouldn't think of using anything else for my own needs.
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post

Indeed, in an admin role, you can never please everyone. But for every person who complained about how we moderated, there were several more who thanked us for keeping things civil. No doubt some mistakes were made, but on the whole I feel we did a good job of it.

And yes, a lot of our younger members calmed down with age. So did we!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2016, 06:00 AM

No complaints whatsoever in the civility keeping department. It was the locking of creative, lounge banter threads which was distressing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules