Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New printer left in freezing car...

New printer left in freezing car...
InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Dec 24, 2004, 02:29 PM

I bought a printer for my parents for Christmas and left it in my car for about 36 hours. It didn't hit my until now that it could hurt it since the ink could freeze up, so I brought it in. How long should I let it sit at room temperature before attempting to use it? Could I have permantely damaged anything by letting it be in freezing temps so long?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 02:37 PM

wait at least a couple hours. start drinking or something, you'll be golden. well, at least you won't have to worry about the ink being frozen.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 02:39 PM

The only thing i'd be worried about is if the inks are water based, they'll expand when they freeze and possibly crack the cartridges. If this happens, you're out $40 for a couple of new cartridges, but they're sealed and outside of the printer in the packaging (assuming the thing is still in the original box) so I think the printer itself will be fine.

"I start fires!"

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
The only thing i'd be worried about is if the inks are water based, they'll expand when they freeze and possibly crack the cartridges. If this happens, you're out $40 for a couple of new cartridges, but they're sealed and outside of the printer in the packaging (assuming the thing is still in the original box) so I think the printer itself will be fine.
I don't think those things are ever filled to the rim anyway. just leave it in a warm room for a few hours out of the box.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:
I bought a printer for my parents for Christmas and left it in my car for about 36 hours. It didn't hit my until now that it could hurt it since the ink could freeze up, so I brought it in. How long should I let it sit at room temperature before attempting to use it? Could I have permantely damaged anything by letting it be in freezing temps so long?
You need more than a couple hours, but yeah, if you just leave it alone it will warm up, and dry out, on its own. That last bit is the real kicker, more so for computers than printers, though.

But if it was out in the cold any moisture in the unit would freeze and as it warms up it turns into condensation. So, it needs to evaporate that moisture or else you could damage the electronics by starting it up. Since Christmas isn't until tomorrow just leave it someplace warm and dry and it will be fine. Besides, you get to earn good son points tomorrow if you both give them a printer AND set it up for them.

Merry Christmas!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 05:35 PM

The other day, my UPS driver left my new HP LaserJet 1160 out in the snow for half the day until I got home from work. I just went ahead and opened it up and it was just fine. Granted, that was only a few hours, but at least it shows that in my case, no great harm seems to have been done.

InterfaceGuy  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2004, 01:32 PM

The printer works fine. I was only able to test the copy function though because there isn't a free USB port on the computer, and even if there was the cable I bought isn't long enough. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a hub. Merry Christmas!

Forum Links
Forum Rules