Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > sharing a printer with windows

sharing a printer with windows
otter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 10:40 AM

I have a router that I use to split my internet connection between my powerbook and windows machine. The windows machine has a printer hooked up via USB. I would like to share the printer, prferably without buying any new equipment. I've done some research and believe that the best way to do this would be to use the printer's IP. I can't seem to find the IP on my Windows machine. Any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2003, 11:02 AM

Are you trying to simply figure out what the Windows machine's IP is? Open a command line window and type "ipconfig." That should give you the machine's IP, and some other stuff, depending on which Windows OS you're running.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

otter2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 11:18 AM

Would this give me the printer's ip address, or the general one?
Is IP sharing the best option for me?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2003, 11:29 PM

If you're trying to share a printer that's connected to a Windows computer, having that computer's IP may be helpful, but it won't let you share the printer. In fact, I don't know how to share a printer that's connected directly to a Windows machine with Macs on the same network.

On the other hand, you can buy an inexpensive gateway router with a parallel printer port that will do the job. I got a Siemens SpeedStream SS2604 on sale last month for $28.76-great little router, and very affordable (especially since Office Depot had a $20 rebate on it!). Like most such routers, it's configured with an internal web page, so you can connect to it with any platform that has a browser. Another advantage of this method is that you don't have to have any particular computer turned on to be able to print.

solvent211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 10:30 PM

If your printer is connected to your windows box, it will not have an IP address. To get it one, you'll have to do something like GHPorter recommended.

An alternative (free) way to do this exists for most printers (assuming you have 10.2). You can share the printer using Windows Share (SAMBA/SMB) and then use GIMP-PRINT.

Some reading material:

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2003, 10:51 PM

I have problems remembering to mess with Gimp and Samba, even on Linux boxes Must be information overload-it can't be age! Anyway, CUPS is also a possibility, though I think it only works with Jaguar...

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 11:26 PM

You can turn on printer sharing in Win95/98/2000 (and presumably XP), give the printer a share name, then connect to it using Gimp-Print. To do this, option-click on the "Add" icon in Print center, then select Windows Printer via SAMBA from the "advanced" drop-down menu. Gimp-Print comes with detailed instructions on this method.

I was doing this for a while, but--as Glenn mentioned--it's annoying to keep the PC running just to share a printer. I now have a wireless router with print server and it's much more convenient.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2003, 01:56 PM

I followed the directions with Gimp Print but still cannot get my iBook to see my Windows XP printer...is there another way to do this?

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
I followed the directions with Gimp Print but still cannot get my iBook to see my Windows XP printer...is there another way to do this?
What printer make/model do you have? Sometimes, with the Gimp-Print drivers, you may have better luck using the print queue name "LPT1" instead of "lp".
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2003, 09:11 PM

It is a HP Laserjet 4p....any help would be great.

Honus Wagner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 03:43 AM

Be sure to install ESP Ghostscript along with gimp-print. I did so and was able to network with an HP Laserjet hanging on an NT Server via a parallel connection. I believe that all of the laserjet printers are supported.
12" PowerBook
867Mhz 640mb
SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules