Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Running Powerbook on it's side, in clamshell mode

Running Powerbook on it's side, in clamshell mode
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hey all, I have my powerbook running on its side (the dvd drive is on the bottom), and i have it leaning up. It's on a clean surface, is this ok for the machine? The reason I have it on its side is so that i can blow cool air at the bottom of the machine to keep it cold to run in clamshell mode. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

ibook_steve
Jul 24, 2003, 02:22 PM

You're not hurting anything. The hard drive can work fine on its side. However, this is unnecessary. Just put the machine on a hard flat surface or slightly elevate it. There is no reason to worry. It was designed to work in closed lid mode without overheating.

Steve

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by melman101:
Hey all, I have my powerbook running on its side (the dvd drive is on the bottom), and i have it leaning up. It's on a clean surface, is this ok for the machine? The reason I have it on its side is so that i can blow cool air at the bottom of the machine to keep it cold to run in clamshell mode. Is this a good idea?

Thanks
Should be. As long as it doesn't scratch and/or fall over you should be fine. Remember, HDs take shocks while running extremely personal. I had to replace the drive in my iBook because I accidentally dropped it about 4 inches while it was running. Why are you running it in clamshell mode anyway? Don't you like the extra screen estate?

melman101  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 04:28 PM

I do enjoy the extra screen realestate but there is absolutely no room for it on my desk. I already have a PC from work, and 2 monitors, so i just like to keep it on the side so that i can quickly switch between the pc and the mac. it wont fall over, its been pretty secure, but i will just start elevating it, just in case. if i have room between my monitors, for the laptop, thats ideally where i would put it. maybe I'll have to work something out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules