Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should not not have bought a G5, or a mac?

Should not not have bought a G5, or a mac?
tony21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 12:43 PM

Im a Industrial Design student. Last summer I saved up to buy the new G5 1.6 and a 20 apple display thinking it would be all I would need for CAD and 3D modeling, however, im two weeks into school and most of the industry standered programs are PC based. Plus most people have a PC in the program... So I thought I could get V PC,.. But it does not run on the G5 yet..
So whats the deal with mac? How am I supposed to use it for work if it cant run these programs..... I know I could get maya for $2,000.
Im a big mac fan. this is my 3rd mac and all. Im wondering though, is mac for proffesional 3D design...

Any thoughts are comments...

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 12:53 PM

You can use a Mac for some professional 3D design, but CAD can be a bit tricky.

Something that will definitely help is to go to Architosh; as you might imagine, it's a site geared towards CAD users on the Mac platform. I believe there are at least a few apps you can use.

Speaking of which, AutoDesk apparently has recently released something for OS X that will let you look at files in an AutoCAD format, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Edit: Here we go, a DWF 6 viewer for OS X. AutoCAD is also apparently releasing a development kit that will let developers interface with the format.
( Last edited by Commodus; Sep 13, 2003 at 01:05 PM. )
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2003, 01:25 PM

For 3D, I'd get a PC (well, CAD anyway). It'll be just as fast, cheaper, and far more compatible.

However, power shouldn't be a concern; your power should lie in a cheap render farm.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 03:56 PM

Autodesk wanted feedback (for AutoCAD) from Mac OS X users in May this year. Link {MacMinute}

I'm to be taking a few ID modules part-time starting next week.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2003, 05:05 PM

I am not a full time student but have recently taken courses in Rhino, 3ds Max and Maya so I can sypathize with your position.

I would grab a knowledgeable friend and build yourself a nice PC box with a Pentium 4 on an 875p chipset board with a gig of ram and an Ati 9800 or Nvidia FX 5900 video card. Be sure to get yourself a large display to go with it.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 01:54 AM

Or, better yet, use the facilities provided by your university to do the required 3D work and do whatever you can on your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules