Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac Book USB Over Current Issue

Mac Book USB Over Current Issue
NovaLazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2012, 01:01 AM

Hello and help…

I’ve a Mac Book which I lent to a friend for the weekend and they rather stupidly tried to test an external CD player via the laptops USB ports. Apparently the laptop powered down and now everytime I power up the laptop this message appears.

USB over current notice. A USB device is currently drawing too much power. The Hub it is attached to will be deactivated”.

The laptop powers up ok and all other applications seem to be ok. There’s nothing connected to the USB ports but as per the message, I can’t use anything via it, like web dongle, memory stick etc.

Any idea’s as to how to reactivate the USB ports safely?

Thanks muchly
Nova Lazy

P
Aug 3, 2012, 01:59 AM

A reboot should do it. If not, you might want to reset the SMC, but for that we need to know a little more about exactly which model it is.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

walterwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2012, 12:51 PM

I would say a PRAM reset is in order... Hold down P - R - command and option and listen for 3 restarts or 3 chimes... cant hurt to let it restart it once more.

alexburke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2012, 02:59 PM

The fact that the laptop powered down when you plugged the drive in indicates there was a short circuit in the inserted USB connector. Either a piece of metallic debris was introduced to the laptop's USB port from the portable drive's connector, or the drive was damaged somehow causing a short circuit which has now damaged the laptop's main logic board (although there are self-resetting fuses designed to help prevent such damage).

Using a magnifying glass and nonmetallic toothpick, verify the laptop's USB port is free of debris; compare against the other port for reference. If no debris is found, the logic board is likely damaged and will require replacement.

Disclaimer: I am an Apple Certified Mac Technician but these are my own thoughts and not those of my employer.
Alexander Burke, ACMT, CCNA, A+Apple Certified Mac TechnicianThis post is my own personal contribution and not that of my employer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules