Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 733 Quicksilver

G4 733 Quicksilver
kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 05:00 PM

Kinda new to the whole Mac lifestyle.

Would a G4 733 Quicksilver be a good starter mac?
I can pick one up for around $300 for just the tower.
I already have everything else, monitor, keyboard, mighty mouse, etc.......
How will OSX 10.4 run on this machine, with the RAM at 512?
What was the difference between a Quicksilver and a standard G4?

Thanks for any help.

fesdds
Jun 29, 2006, 07:25 PM

I have several macs that I use at home and the office. One of them is a Quicksilver 733 with 512 of RAM. I currently have 10.4.5 and it runs acceptable as far as basic tasks: Safari, word, Excel, etc. It will run more sophisticated software, but slowly. I personally wouldn't want it for my main computer, because I use a G5 iMac at home or my new Macbook, but to experiment with it could be fun. Think about what you will want to do with it, because I had to upgrade to USB 2.0 to run a printer/scanner from it at the office. Not a large expense, but still an expense.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2006, 08:56 PM

Hello welcome to Macs. I think a Quicksilver 733 would be a great starter Mac. The Quicksilvers, like all PowerMacs, are very expandable, which makes them great computers. It will run 10.4 fairly well with 512 mb but I personally would upgrade the RAM to at least 1gb. As for what the difference is between a Quicksilver and a standard G4, well there is no truly standard G4. The Quicksilver was an evolution from the original PowerMac G4 Yikes! and was had a new case and new hardware ( the 733mgz processor was shared with the Digital Audio G4). Personally I like the Quicksilver's case the most of any G4's.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 10:16 AM

I own that exact configuration and it works just fine in Tiger. It's not the fastest thing around (I'm just waiting for the Intel "PowerMacs" to come around) but I'm able to use it as a primary machine with little to no issues. I even do a little design with the system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules