Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Shipment of new iMac

Shipment of new iMac
MindEraser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hello all,

I just ordered an iMac 20", 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, 256 VRAM. It's expected in 2 weeks. Is 2 weeks normal for all the upgrades?

Thanks,

ME

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

yup, it'll most likely get there sooner though.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

MindEraser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks, stefanicotine.

I'll be very anxious for the next few days.

ME

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 09:40 PM

haha yeah it's tough to wait. My advice, don't give in to the tracking codes! They tempt you, but trust me, you don't wanna know where your iMac came from and where it's going, it'll only make you more nervous
 Certified AppleCare Technician

MindEraser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 06:55 AM

iMac shipped!!! From Shangai, China?! However, expected delivery is Tuesday the 11th. Typical as I have the 10th off!

ME

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2006, 08:45 AM

Damn, I ordered mine nearly 2 weeks ago, and it's still not shipped. Must be a UK thing.

MindEraser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 11:40 PM

In less than a day, it's already in the US. Is it Tuesday yet?!

ME

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 09:24 AM

Mine has still not shipped yet. I got an email saying the shipping date had changed to the 7th, so hopefully it will ship at some point today. I have been waiting far too long.

iRussel
Jul 7, 2006, 09:29 AM

Be patient. Mine shipped fairly quickly. When you get it you'll be very happy.
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

MindEraser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 09:34 AM

Wow, it's on the FedEx vehicle for delivery! Whoo hoo!!

ME

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 09:34 PM

Congrats on your new iMac. I hope it brings you years of good and reliable service.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by iRussel
Be patient. Mine shipped fairly quickly. When you get it you'll be very happy.

Wish I was so lucky. Right on the evening of my second estimated shipping date (after one delay), I have been emailed a second time by Apple delaying my shipment all the way to the 18th. This is ridiculous, considering how long ago I placed my order. I know a few people who have ordered a bto iMac since me and already had it shipped. What a joke.

iRussel
Jul 9, 2006, 04:45 AM

I have read on these forums Apple isn't too competent in the UK. Good luck on your delivery PlacidTubs
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 9, 2006, 11:56 AM

ME, did you by chance purchase standard or express shipping?

MindEraser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus
ME, did you by chance purchase standard or express shipping?
No, I had the free standard shipping.

This thing is a beauty!

ME

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MindEraser
No, I had the free standard shipping.
Awesome, I ordered mine on Saturday 7/8, same specs as yours and standard shipping. Hopefully I'll get it this week!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 10:03 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 10:57 AM

I ordered the same configuration on saturday.. and I ordered express shipping and nothing yet. Thats kinda making me mad.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2006, 07:41 PM

...just something to keep in mind, when I ordered my first mini, I paid extra to have it FedEx'd (overnighted) but it took over a week. I called Apple and said, "Why bother offering overnight and letting us PAY it when you KNOW it can't get from China to the US overnight?"

They refunded the shipping.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 09:05 PM

wow, thanks for the heads up.. if the same thing happens to me I'll do the same thing.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 07:21 AM

Mine shipped this morning with an estimated delivery date of Friday.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 05:55 PM

what the heck! I ordered the same day as you, and mine still isnt built yet. I paid extra for faster shipping so it better get here fast dflkjgshdlkfjgsald ::insert angry face here::
( Last edited by mc751n; Jul 12, 2006 at 03:42 PM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 07:07 PM

Yikes... what time on Saturday? Maybe you just missed the cutoff time for yesterday's production?

On my FedEx tracking information, the arrival date changed from Friday to Thursday by 10:30 AM. You should definitely see about getting a refund for your shipping charge. If it actually comes Thursday, that will be 2 days and I didn't pay anything for shipping.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 08:04 PM

I ordered it a little before 6pm .. it says "estimated ship date: 7/14/06" which is friday and "estimated delivery date: 7/18/06" WTF?! Yeah Im calling and I better be getting a refund on that shipping
( Last edited by mc751n; Jul 12, 2006 at 03:43 PM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mc751n
I ordered it a little before 6pm .. it says "estimated ship date: 7/14/06" which is friday. WTF?! Yeah Im calling and I better be getting a refund on that shipping
My official Apple estimated ship date (at the time I placed my order, noon on Saturday) was 7/13, with an estimated delivery date of 7/20.

My guess is it will ship tonight... it's early morning in Shanghai right now. Ready for a new day of iMac production!

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 03:16 PM

hey guess what!!!!! yeah, still not shipped.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 03:24 PM

I got news for you guys. Paying for faster shipping doesn't mean Apple will actually BUILD it faster. All it means is that once it does ship it will get to you faster. I thought this was common sense, but apperantly not.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 03:39 PM

thats not what im complaining about. im complaining about the fact that I ordered the same computer configuration on the same day and theirs is scheduled for delivery b4 mine is scheduled to ship, maybe you should read.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 04:50 PM

And you're expecting a refund for what? Show me where on the Apple website it says "You're order will be shipped the same day as other people's who ordered the same day as you." Apple told you it will ship around the 14th. What have they told you that causes you to expect it sooner than that? Those 500GB drives are known to be not as readily available as other components, which has been the case since the Intel iMacs were released.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
...just something to keep in mind, when I ordered my first mini, I paid extra to have it FedEx'd (overnighted) but it took over a week. I called Apple and said, "Why bother offering overnight and letting us PAY it when you KNOW it can't get from China to the US overnight?"

They refunded the shipping.
That.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
I got news for you guys. Paying for faster shipping doesn't mean Apple will actually BUILD it faster. All it means is that once it does ship it will get to you faster. I thought this was common sense, but apperantly not.
Actually, it doesn't matter whether you pay the $33 for "expedited shipping" or not, all the custom iMacs coming out of China, regardless of how long it takes for them to be assembled and ship, arrive in 2 to 3 days anyway. They don't actually ship them ground. So it's $33 for nothing -- what sucks is they aren't upfront about that.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 08:55 PM

hahaha oh well.. so mine shipped but its not coming from china.. its coming from california? haha

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mc751n
hahaha oh well.. so mine shipped but its not coming from china.. its coming from california? haha
That's weird, and you got 2 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive and 256 MB VRAM? I didn't even realize they did the customization this side of the pond.

mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 12:41 AM

iMac Specs:

IMAC 20/2.0/SD CTO
ATI Radeon X1600-256MB SDRAM
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-2x1GB
500GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8X
Kybd, Mighty Mse & Mac OS X
Country Kit

Shipping info:

Jul 12, 2006 7:53 PM Left origin UNION CITY, CA

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
And you're expecting a refund for what? Show me where on the Apple website it says "You're order will be shipped the same day as other people's who ordered the same day as you." Apple told you it will ship around the 14th. What have they told you that causes you to expect it sooner than that? Those 500GB drives are known to be not as readily available as other components, which has been the case since the Intel iMacs were released.
No... but if they offer you expedited shipping and it still takes over a week to arrive (mine got stalled in a warehouse in China, then again in Alaska) well...

My complaint was that AFTER it was SHIPPED it still took over a week. I might not have paid a LOT more for the expedited shipping, but I paid more. It was the principle of the thing. So I called, and they refunded. It was actually quick and painless.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 14, 2006, 01:27 PM

And that's a perfectly valid complaint deserving a refund. But demanding a refund on your shipping BEFORE it has shipped doesn't make sense. Overnight shipping doesn't mean "We'll build it, ship it, and it'll be waiting for you on your doorstep tomorrow." It means they'll take as long as they always do to build the system. My impression was that some were expecting expedited shipping to mean that their system would be built faster as well. I was trying to carlify that it doesn't.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 15, 2006, 10:45 PM

After sitting in China for 2 days with no scan, mine came today which was awesome. They bumped it to Saturday delivery for "missing the estimated 7/13 delivery date." Who cares, it's here and great!

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2006, 08:57 AM

Mine has finally shipped!

After taking 24 days to be built. Hopefully the shipping won't take long. It's only got to come from Ireland.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 12:32 AM

WOW... Okay.. Apple will work with you!! The guy that took my order screwed up. I wanted my iMac to ship expedited.. I called back later to confirm.. When they went to confirm the order, it had standard shipping. I talked to the apple rep and how this was my first mac... etc.. and they shipped the mac expedited at NO EXTRA cost to me. Because of the original scew up! You gotta love Apples support!

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by iSteve
WOW... Okay.. Apple will work with you!! The guy that took my order screwed up. I wanted my iMac to ship expedited.. I called back later to confirm.. When they went to confirm the order, it had standard shipping. I talked to the apple rep and how this was my first mac... etc.. and they shipped the mac expedited at NO EXTRA cost to me. Because of the original scew up! You gotta love Apples support!
Well being that they were only giving you what you ordered in the first place... . Free things rock.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 06:05 PM

Wow that is awesome! I get my stuff from Apple really fast with normal shipping 2-3 most of the time. Our iMac came in 2 days, iSight 3, Tiger, 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules