Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Firewire Drive not mounting on PowerMac

Firewire Drive not mounting on PowerMac
fesdds
Sep 29, 2006, 09:17 AM

I have a dual 1.8 PowerMac and for the last 1+ year have been using OWC Mercury Express Fire Wire Drive to back up office info. Worked fine until this week. It will not mount on this computer, but did mount on 2 of my other Macs. Could my firewire go out? I tried the front and rear ports. Any suggestions? The only test I didn't do that I will try next when back at the office is to use the USB ports.
Thanks

fesdds  (op)
Oct 3, 2006, 10:28 PM

I have plugged with optional USB port and it mounted fine. What does this mean? Is my firewire out / What do I do?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 01:03 PM

I've been having this problem for years on my 17" PB. I have an external FW/USB harddrive and every once in a while the firewire stops mounting. Have looks all over for a fix, but still havn't found one.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 01:10 PM

Do you have another FireWire device that you can check? Swap cables, swap drives (or camera or anything). I have seen cables that work with one FireWire device that will not work with a second FireWire device. No reason, just is.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by fesdds
I have plugged with optional USB port and it mounted fine. What does this mean? Is my firewire out / What do I do?
Often this happens due to flaky drive shutdown procedure, especially hot swapping. Eject the drive, turn it off, shut down the Mac, recable to FW again, restart the drive, restart the Mac and see if FW is again working.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules