Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keyboard and Touchpad locking up

Keyboard and Touchpad locking up
davesmith001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 07:43 PM

Over the past week, if I leave my Intel Macbook sitting unused for a few minutes, I'll come back and the keyboard and touchpad won't respond. I have to shut down using the power button. I can't think of any settings I've changed or programs I've added, and my firmware is up to date. Any ideas?

fesdds
Feb 25, 2007, 12:25 AM

Never had keyboard issue, but have had touch pad issues. It always was a software problem. Had to reinstall OSX, then it was fine.

Jimbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 11:48 AM

Mine does this as well. It seems completely random. I can't relate it to what programs are running, or length of time left alone. However, it does not lock up if I close the lid, so I've gotten in the habit of simply closing the lid whenever I have to leave it alone. And if I forget and find it locked when I return, I have a mouse handy, as it will respond to the mouse, which lets me at least restart gracefully.

davesmith001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 04:29 PM

I think I found the problem. Lately there's been a lot of static electricity in our office, and I find that if i "ground" myself before i touch my macbook the problem goes away. I think I was actually shocking my macbook into freezing up! The same thing was happening to another person in the office, and it goes away as long as we don't rub our feet on the carpet before we touch the computer. How weird.

Jimbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 03:44 PM

Interesting... I'll have to check that out.

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 7, 2007, 06:48 PM

i actually had the problem with my macbook's touchpad going bezerk when i was in windows during bootcamp. the way i solved this was placing my palm flat on the trackpad, and leaving it there for 5 seconds, then drag my palm off of the trackpad (As if wiping a spill off a trackpad with a paper towel.

this motion has been shown to "reset" the trackpad. sounds kooky, i know, but it works. try it. this trick has been documented on apple's website somewhere (i found it via google, of course)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2007, 10:43 AM

My black MacBook has this problem. It's very annoying but intermittent. I have linked it to static electricity as well. It happens sometimes if i inadvertently shock my MacBook. It seems as though the keyboard may not be properly grounded? I'm not sure. I'd ask for it to be fixed but if i take it in to an Apple reseller, they're gonna tell me they couldn't reproduce it, say it must be software related, and then charge me a $80 shop fee for the privledge.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules