Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Store Refurbished Macbook C2D...any good?

Apple Store Refurbished Macbook C2D...any good?
charlespsu
Mar 22, 2007, 06:52 AM

Hi!

I wonder if I purchase a new C2D macbook from apple.com refurbished, will it be ok? I purchased a core duo (not C2D) before and suffered RSS, they fixed it, but my faith in the product is a little worn out.

My question: If I purchase a refurbished C2D, can I expect Apple already fixed the RSS issues?

Thanks!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 12:05 PM

Yes. I've purchased several refurb products and have only had one issue with one machine over the years. I also know several other people who have purchased through the refurbished store with great results. I wouldn't really think twice about it. Go through the refurb store and purchase AppleCare if need be, otherwise they come with a one year warranty.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 01:01 PM

RSS?

What do you mean, exactly, and how did Apple fix it?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

fesdds
Mar 22, 2007, 11:12 PM

I always buy through refurb unless I need some feature on the brand new model immmediately (which is rare for me).

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 12:42 AM

I bought the mac in my sig refurbed and my only concern with it is the dvd drive. when i load a cd or dvd and it is pulling it in or ejecting it, it sounds kinda loud. i havent heard another macbooks drive so i dont know if its normal or not. other than that its a great machine. and this is my first mac.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 07:18 AM

I'm on my 9th or 10th major Apple product and would have no qualms buying refurb. My current Core 2 Duo MacBook (white) is a refurb and it's my best computer ever.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
I bought the mac in my sig refurbed and my only concern with it is the dvd drive. when i load a cd or dvd and it is pulling it in or ejecting it, it sounds kinda loud. i havent heard another macbooks drive so i dont know if its normal or not. other than that its a great machine. and this is my first mac.
It probably just seems loud. I was quite surprised at the noise of my C2D when compared to my old iBook.

post_break
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
RSS?

What do you mean, exactly, and how did Apple fix it?
In macbook terms RSS = random shutdown syndrome, not the common definition of RSS.

And yes there is no longer RSS in macbooks, at least updated ones.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 12:58 PM

Ah, okay I get it now. I was lucky not to have a MacBook that was afflicted. Although I did have FSS (flickering screen syndrome)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Saint_Stryfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:00 PM

My family has bought a total of 8 referb Mac products as well as 3 iPods, the most recent being a MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz White.

Everyone of them has been flawless. The MacBook is expecially nice - it did not have a nic or scratch in it, the unit seemed perfect and I've loved using it. My brother bought a Referb Powerbook G4 450mhz in 2002 or so, and kept it until last summer.

The iPods were a tiny bit less successful - they often were a bit scratched on the silvered back especially. But never malfunctioning.

Considering the full warrenty and the ability to get AppleCare on it, I think it's damn near perfect. The worst thing your giving up by going referb is the ability to go into the store and buy them (though not service!), and the ability to Add Applecare, I don't think there's a reason not to go it, if you have any patience what so over.

Note: Because your saving so much going referb, treat yourself. Overnight shipping from CA to NY for me was 30$. Don't torture yourself saving 15$ doing the ground shipping. :-)

Warrenpeace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:01 PM

I bought an iPod and you couldn't tell it was a refurb. Just came in different packaging. The refurb stuff still has the same warranty as the new items. Imagine the cash you'll have save that can go towards RAM, bluetooth mouse or laptop sleeve.

TigerN28763
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:06 PM

Generally, I do not mind buying fixed computers (desktop) because they don't take the abuse a laptop must take. Laptops are in peril all the time if you do what they are made for, carry them around. They get bumped and dropped small distances and sometimes not so small, even in a short period of time. Who is to say what the reason was that Apple had to recondition a relatively fragile device. All portable devices are subject to much greater "forces".

I am on my 7th or 8th Mac Laptop and the only reman I had was back to the shop a lot. I stick with new. Also, I buy the extended warranty. I always keep the box until that runs out.

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:32 PM

Well, my refub is a desktop...A 450 G4 Cube, to be exact. I've had it since at least 2001. No problems ever (but have upgraded HDs, RAM and Video card). The unit was cosmetically perfect, and it's still hanging in there with OS X 10.4.9, although I'm seeing more and more spinning beachballs. Used for this post, in fact.
IF my experience is any example...go for it!

mactalent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:57 PM

I've bought many refurb Apple computers and can wholeheartedly recommend them if they are what you want. Unless you absolutely have to have the latest product, you can save a lot of $$. I like to buy what has just been obsoleted, it was the latest thing last month, now you save twice - once because it's refurb, once because the item is no longer the top spec model. I bought 16 refurb flat panel iMacs for a school lab, one had a damaged screen and the tech came to us and fixed it on the spot. One had a higher spec than we bought, bigger hard drive, extra memory, must have slipped through their QA or they decided not to bother removing the extras. I've bought several Macbooks too and they were like new. The only downside is that you cannot customize them - add memory etc, when you order, you have to take what is available and then buy memory separately (either from Apple or third party) and install it. Having the full warranty makes the purchase risk free, you can return it if unhappy like any other online purchase.
( Last edited by mactalent; Mar 24, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added more explanation)

GraphicUmp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 06:58 PM

Actually, you can add AppleCare to a refurb Mac, just like a brand new one.

I have 2 iPods, a G4 iBook and a Core Duo mini - all refurb. All perfect. I've added AppleCare to the second iPod and the iBook, as well.

I had one hiccup with the mini - the EFI firmware upgrade toasted the board within an hour of my receiving it. The local Apple Store replaced the board and all is really well - it's easily the best Mac I've ever owned.

Tofino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 10:17 PM

I've bought refurbs since they became available at the apple online store and have never had a problem. as far as i can tell they were brand new machines, not even cosmetic blemishes. i would buy refurbs again in a heartbeat.
----------------
www.tofinotime.com

CIA
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 10:18 AM

Another ringing endorsement from me here. I bought a 1.25Ghz G4 iBook 12" (CD, 40GB drive, 256MB) and it looked and worked like new. Of course I upgraded the hell out of it (DVD-R DL drive, 120GB HD, now has 1.25GB ram) but all in all my experience with Apple Refurbs has been great. Also bought an Rev. A shuffle and it's working fine too.
If you don't need the latest and greatest, or don't mind waiting a few months after a product release, go refurb and save some bucks.
By Mid-April you will see AppleTV units up there.

Remember, saving 10-15% on a $2,000+ product gets you spare cash for upgrades!
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 12:50 PM

I am typing on my new, refurb cd2 MacBook 2ghz. It came with 1gb RAM and a superdrive- all for $1200. I got AppleCare and SafeWare for it.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 12:54 PM

I have also purchased an item refurb direct from apple with great success and quality. What you have to understand is that the items are ones that have been exchanged for and upgrade to a different machine or they had a bad drive or even a cable that was loose. It is illegal to sell a repaired item as new. I could of been as simple as a scratched case on an ipod that was replaced but as serious as a new motherboard...which isnt too bad either.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I am typing on my new, refurb cd2 MacBook 2ghz. It came with 1gb RAM and a superdrive- all for $1200. I got AppleCare and SafeWare for it.
Same here except I got 2gb Ram and only AppleCare!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 03:31 PM

Bought a 15" MBP when they first came out last year(new): Apple had to replace two(2) batteries and the left side cooling fan - sold it. BTW, it was perfectly fine after the fixes and installation of Fan Control 1.1 pref pane, I needed cash to pay IRS. I had it almost a year.
Two months later I was jonesing too bad, needed another MBP, so I bought a refurb 15" C2D 2.33 matte and it has been flawless since May. Love that MBP.

Get a refurb if it's what you want/need and if you do have any problems, be nice and Apple Support will take good care of you.

Z

Forum Links
Forum Rules