Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > problems with itunes and cds

problems with itunes and cds
fesdds
May 21, 2008, 09:05 AM

When I insert cd into drive of my Aluminum iMac it takes up to over a minute to mount. Then about 60% of the time it shows up in itunes and asks if I want to import. I click Yes and then it just disappears. It never reappears on the desktop or in itunes. The only way to even eject the cd is to sometimes hold down the eject key for about 45 seconds or turn off computer and eject on startup.

Any ideas?

OreoCookie
May 21, 2008, 09:26 AM

Sounds like you have a scratched/dirty/broken cd. Does that happen with all discs or just specific discs? Are these discs accepted by other drives/cd players?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

fesdds  (op)
May 21, 2008, 10:39 AM

It is happening more frequently each day. Last night every cd did not mount the first time. Eventually after 3-5 attempts of taking it out and putting it back in it finally mounts. Then about 60% of the time even when it mounts it then disappears when I click to import it. With that said I was able to import every cd it just took 20 minutes per cd because of waiting and waiting, trying and trying and then it eventually worked.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2008, 03:33 PM

It's a bad drive. Take it to apple and get it repaired.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

fesdds  (op)
May 22, 2008, 11:45 AM

Of course today the computer is acting normal. Isn't that what happens when you are about to call Apple Care.

Can someone give me any info on how large an iTunes library can be? I am sure that mine is not even close, but just interested. Does the program get bogged down when there is a large library? We are approaching 4000 songs and still trying to convert library.

Thanks

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fesdds View Post
still trying to convert library.
I have no idea what this means.

I have 43,000 titles in iTunes, and it's running well.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2008, 09:07 PM

4000? pppshhhhh

I've got 10,184 items in my library for a whopping. ............. 53.73gb.

No movies, no tv shows. Thats all music right there baby!
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

fesdds  (op)
May 23, 2008, 12:35 PM

I figured we had a small library.
I should have said "Ripping" all of our music from disk to itunes.

The good news is that we think the problem has been figured out. We had a bad stick of RAM. We had the stock 1 gig of Ram and I had added 1 gig from Crucial. We ended up taking out the 1 gig of Crucial and the iMac performed normal. We were getting the beach ball all the time, having to force quit programs, the problem mentioned above with cds not mounting properly. I had no idea a bad stick of Ram would cause disks to not mount properly. Wierd. I went ahead and contacted Crucial. They said they would swap out and I went ahead and paied the extra and ordered 2 gig sticks to just max out the ram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules