Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Brushed Metal Finder - Good or Bad? The offical poll.

View Poll Results: Which appearance do you want for the Finder?
Poll Options:
Aqua 97 votes (54.19%)
Brushed Metal 39 votes (21.79%)
I don't care 43 votes (24.02%)
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll
Brushed Metal Finder - Good or Bad? The offical poll.
pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 02:39 PM

I think the Finder should have the original Aqua appearance (i.e. NOT Brushed Metal). Brushed Metal is much too heavy for the Finder and should only be used for iApps and applications with a SINGLE window user interface. What do you think? If like me, you want an Aqua Finder, send feedback to Apple.
( Last edited by pat++; Jul 7, 2003 at 03:04 PM. )

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 03:11 PM

I just hope Demetallifizer works in Panther, take care of all my woes.

-Telusman

Originally posted by pat++:
I think the Finder should have the original Aqua appearance (i.e. NOT Brushed Metal). Brushed Metal is much too heavy for the Finder and should only be used for iApps and applications with a SINGLE window user interface. What do you think? If like me, you want an Aqua Finder, send feedback to Apple.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

-Q-
Jul 7, 2003, 04:38 PM

I don't really care, although I may change my mind after using the 'new' aqua that I see in all the screens of panther..

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 05:09 PM

For all of you who don't know yet, have a look at Xcode screenshots and Finder screenshots. See how Xcode looks professional and nice, and how bulky, heavy and unprofessional the Finder looks. What do you think?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 05:20 PM

Brushed metal= uuuugh... >_<

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 05:29 PM

Dear Unsanity,
Please update Demetallifizer to work with OS 10.3, especially the Finder.

Thank you,
A paying customer.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

z|gzag
Jul 7, 2003, 05:33 PM

Aqua looks a lot cleaner, more consistent and more professional.
~zig

entrox
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 06:14 PM

For all of you who don't know yet, have a look at Xcode screenshots and Finder screenshots. See how Xcode looks professional and nice, and how bulky, heavy and unprofessional the Finder looks. What do you think?
Bleh. They apparently updated their HIG to include applications with a 'playlist' as brush-able. I wonder why Xcode is still Aqua - after all, by "taking a cue from iTunes" it has "Smart Groups" now! But imagine a brushed metal development application.. oh well.. rules are there to broken (especially by the creators themselves).

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 07:37 PM

I'll reserve judgment until I use it for myself.
That said, I generally prefer Aqua, but metal is better in certain instances (iTunes, for example).

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 08:35 PM

they should give us choice:
Aqua OR Brushed Finder
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
Aqua OR Brushed Finder

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 03:44 AM

Must just be me, but I think exactly the opposite. Aqua has always looked a little cluttered, whereas brushed metal seems smooth and simple.

I guess you can't please all the people all of the time, so apple should just give users a choice of one or the other.

I suspect they won't, however, since some third party themer will give those who want a choice exactly what they want.

Cheers

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

step
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 06:46 AM

I worked with panther for a few days, and despite being sure i'd dislike the new finder, it definitely grew on me. It's a BIG plus being able to drag windows by the side or bottom ( the major advantage of brushed apps)
That said, when i went back to jaguar i was surprised how much i liked the aqua finder.
I guess my vote goes with' give us the choice' because a change is as good as a rest

I REALLY like panthers refined aqua though.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 08:10 AM

Brushed Metal is much too heavy for the Finder and should only be used for iApps and applications with a SINGLE window user interface.
Technically, the Finder is a single window application.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
Technically, the Finder is a single window application.
Then what's the File->New Window command for?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Dear Unsanity,
Please update Demetallifizer to work with OS 10.3, especially the Finder.

Thank you,
A paying customer.

CV
Dear Chris V,

Please do not use pre-release, developer preview operating systems as your production desktop and bitch when unsanctioned hacks do not work on it.

Thank you,
A paying developer.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Moose:
Dear Chris V,

Please do not use pre-release, developer preview operating systems as your production desktop and bitch when unsanctioned hacks do not work on it.

Thank you,
A paying developer.
That's kinda funny.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2003, 09:30 AM

Why doesn't apple just add ONE F@#$ING PREFERENCE

- Brushed Metal
- Aqua

(with the default being whatever the F@#$ they want it to be this month...)

I could care less, but I'm just tired of them changing the general look and feel of the OS every year. You shouldn't have to play "Guess the OS" every time you look at a screenshot!

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 02:41 PM

brushed metal is ok for apps but not for the finder so i vote for aqua.
i look in your general direction

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 04:14 PM

changing finder to brushed metal is basically changing the whole os to brushed metal, because as far as a home user is concerned finder IS the os and apps run on top of it, yes yes we know its a seperate app but most users think it is the actual os. Change that to brushed metal and every app on the system may as well be brushed metal too. I personally wont be upgrading to panther if the brushed metal finder is unhackable, yes some of you will think thats crazy but bah it just doesnt have enough features to make looking at that ungodly mess every day worth it because the aqua finder was one of my fave things in osx.

p.s the new way of displaying lables if bloody stupid too, changing the shade of the icons was a much better way than changing the shade of the text because what you see when you glance at a folder is a load of icons THEN you look at the text.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 04:43 PM

Not even the most inexperienced of users gets confused by the visual discrepancy between aqua and metal. Differences in the dragable region are immediately understood even by users who have never seen OS X before. They don't sit around all day and try to make up predictive models of how and why an object is a particular material. Just as people aren't confused by the difference between plastic and metal faucet handles, they aren't confused by virtual objects being made of different materials. Since it only affects the appearance in any significant way, the choice is likely being governed by aesthetic criteria.

While it may give a few people a fuzzy feeling knowing that there is a 'rule' decreeing which interface is best in all circumstances. I personally feel that aesthetics out-weigh any such considerations.

There doesn't need to be a hard and fast dogma dictating whether an app is brushed metal or aqua.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 05:23 PM

What makes this the "official" poll? Your superiorness?

-

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2003, 06:25 PM

Brushed Metal appearance
New Aqua
New finder functionality

-matt

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Dear Chris V,

Thank you,
A paying developer.
Excuuuuse me? I do not now have installed, nor do I intend to install any pre-release version of OS Anything on my machines-- I need them for work.

I am not complaining about pre-release software, I am simply suggesting to Unsanity that I would be a happy customer (one who pays for ALL of his software OS included) if I was able to turn off brushed metal in OS 10.3 if it is released with a brushed metal finder.

In fact, I would pay Unsanity again if I had to, should that be neccessary in order to have an Aqua Finder in 10.3.

Sorry I didn't write a two-paragraph disclaimer in my original post for the logic-impaired members of the board.

I never even implied that I had installed a pre-release version (much less an un-authorized/pirated one) of 10.3 on my computer, and I'm perplexed as to how you figured that I had.

Hose off. Signed,
CV non-developer, end-using, retail-paying-customer of Apple who is happy with his Aqua version of the 10.2 Finder and who is entitled to his opinions about Brushed Metal, as such.
( Last edited by chris v; Jul 9, 2003 at 07:12 PM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 06:59 PM

everyone should send a short feedback message to apple. nothing nasty, but telling them how you feel about brushed metal and the finder.

ask that they at least make it an option. i pray a 3rd party app will 'hack' the finder to make it aqua, or unsanity can work their magic one more time.

either way, just let them know how you feel, and maybe they can do something for us.

MrK
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 07:19 PM

I had been using a haxie to view everything as Aqua in 10.2, but find the all metal interface of 10.3 to be highly useable. It makes it easier to sort betweeen things in Expos�...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
Aqua OR Brushed Finder
They just might. I'll wait for the final.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
everyone should send a short feedback message to apple. nothing nasty, but telling them how you feel about brushed metal and the finder.

ask that they at least make it an option. i pray a 3rd party app will 'hack' the finder to make it aqua, or unsanity can work their magic one more time.

either way, just let them know how you feel, and maybe they can do something for us.

Exactly....... Feedback is the best option in hopes for them to change it back to Aqua, or at least to give us an option to choose between Aqua and brushed metal.

Stephane
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2003, 07:05 AM

Must just be me, but I think exactly the opposite. Aqua has always looked a little cluttered, whereas brushed metal seems smooth and simple.

I guess you can't please all the people all of the time, so apple should just give users a choice of one or the other.

I suspect they won't, however, since some third party themer will give those who want a choice exactly what they want.

Cheers

Rich
Exactly.
Since the Finder is a one Window file browser, I guess it make sense to have a slighly heavier interface than mere folder windows.
And the screenshots don't do it justice : with smaller icons, thiner left column, it is correct.

Now, as a graphical designer, I find the Brush metal interface less intrusive than aqua stripes: a big plain grey area with graphite widgets (graphite aqua mode) is more neutral than icons on a white background (big contrast) white stripes and several levels of lightgrey-white and all colored widgets.
St�phane

techtrucker
Senior User
Jul 10, 2003, 08:49 AM

I've been successful in killing the brushed metal appearance on Safari by simply opening the nib file in Interface Builder and deselecting the "Textured Window" check box...hopefully we'll still be able to do that in 10.3...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2003, 11:43 AM

finder does metal different to safari thats why theres a huge uproar.

Can someone please direct me to where to send feedback about finder?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Can someone please direct me to where to send feedback about finder?
Just use the Mac OS X feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 12:49 PM

One rather obvious thing is that the Finder should have the same interface as Safari (being tightly related apps): so, if Safari is brushed metal, also the Finder should be so. Of course, it would be much better if the user could choose between brushed metal and Aqua on a system-wide level, as repeatedly suggested by many people, on these forums and elsewhere.

BTW, Mail should also have the same interface as the Finder and Safari, being a very fundamental application.

I think Apple should make a standard, "unified" iApp-like look and feel for - at least - those 3 basic programs...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules