Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upcoming Panther... What it will make obsolete...

Upcoming Panther... What it will make obsolete...
LightWaver-67
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 09:53 AM

For me, there are a few key things that I cannot WAIT to get Panther for:

- FONT MANAGEMENT! I cannot WAIT to get rid of Suitcase. On the occasional time when I need to boot, re-boot or re-log-in to my machine, Suitcase is a major problem. On shutdown, it takes FOREVER for it to quit... 50% of the time, the "Shut-Down" or "Reboot" process times-out and I need to reinitiate the process... or I force quit to bypass the issue.

On startup, it also takes at LEAST 3-4 minutes of hard drive activity for suitcase ALONE before the system becomes responsive to input.

QUITE annoying.

----------------

- FAX ABILITY! I also am tired of using FaxSTF for faxing. It's just not "ready for prime time" and buggy. I like the idea of faxing within the App I'm using without launching a seperate application.

Consider FaxSTF deleted (after testing Panther faxing, of course)

-----------------

- PREVIEW for ACROBAT READER? Dunno about this one until I see it for myself. Currently, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to navigate a .PDF with dozens or a hundred pages in EITHER app... but if the new Preview is as fast as SJ claims, goodbye Acrobat Reader.

-----------------

Any other apps that you may stop using due to new Panther functionality...?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 2, 2003, 11:37 AM

What I like about Panther and fonts now. You can actually PREVIEW the fonts via double click now. Even if it does launch a app to do it.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
What I like about Panther and fonts now. You can actually PREVIEW the fonts via double click now. Even if it does launch a app to do it.

I've ALWAYS wanted to be able to do that. One of the few features I missed from the OS 9 days, and a feature my g/f has on her PC

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

I will definitely be using Font Book ... it makes installing and viewing fonts a cinch.

I will be dragging Reader to the trash in favor of Preview. I tried it at the CreativePro conference, and it is as fast as SJ says (granted, that's on a G5, but still... )

I don't really use faxes, so the built-in faxing doesn't affect me. But if I ever do, I'll be glad it's there.

Even though it doesn't make anything obsolete, Expos� will without a doubt be my Number 1 used feature. It rawks.

Also cannot wait for Fast User Switching,

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

On startup, it also takes at LEAST 3-4 minutes of hard drive activity for suitcase ALONE before the system becomes responsive to input.
What you have here is not the standard Suitcase behaviour. I use Suitcase for graphic design on a daily basis and I am quite happy with it.

I once had a problem very similar to yours with Suitcase taking forever to start, stop, activate and deactivate fonts. After a frustrating search for the problem it turned out to be duplicate system fonts that were installed in two different locations on my hard drive (I never knew how they got there. I am sure *I* didn't do it). After they were removed, Suitcase was very reponsive and behaved quite like a normal app.

Having said that, I do look forward to Font Book, but I don't think it will replace Suitcase any time soon for me, as it has no auto-activation feature. But at least you don't have to deal with about 10 different font locations any more!! YE-HA!

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
I've ALWAYS wanted to be able to do that. One of the few features I missed from the OS 9 days, and a feature my g/f has on her PC
Well, fret no more! You can have that now for free.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 01:24 PM

Stuffit Expander if everyone is going to use compressed dmg's and or .zip
ftp programs if ftp is going to work perfectly

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
What you have here is not the standard Suitcase behaviour. I use Suitcase for graphic design on a daily basis and I am quite happy with it.
Same here. I don't love Suitcase, but I haven't experienced any such delay on startup, with over a thousand fonts in its library.

Obsolete? Let's see... I don't use close to all of the following, but they'll all pretty much be obsolete come Panther, unless expanded or improved.

LiteSwitch.
Addressix.
FaxSTF.
Labels X.
Default Folder.

On the danger list:

RBrowser Lite (maybe).
Suitcase (maybe).

Still required?

ClearDock.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 03:00 PM

Ummm...Microsoft Windows?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Ummm...Microsoft Windows?
crack head - what arrrrrrrrre you talking about?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
I will be dragging Reader to the trash in favor of Preview. I tried it at the CreativePro conference, and it is as fast as SJ says (granted, that's on a G5, but still... )
Does it show the Bookmarks? That is the one reason I still use Acrobat Reader - if you view any of Apple's developer documentation (such as Foundation.pdf, AppKit.pdf, AquaHIGuidelines.pdf, etc.), Preview is not capable of listing the bookmarks so you can quickly jump to some method's description. It also has no search facility in Jaguar - have they added that in Panther?

If Panther Preview adds bookmarks and search, it will replace Acrobat Reader for me in a heartbeat.

I don't really use faxes, so the built-in faxing doesn't affect me. But if I ever do, I'll be glad it's there.
But the fax feature is great! Being able to use the fax part of the fax modem is one thing I still miss from the OS 9 days. It's great for when stubborn telemarketers call.

"Hello, may I speak to Mr. Charles - uh - how the hell do you pronounce that?!"

"Speaking. May I ask who's calling?"

"This is Jane Doe from $hittybank BastarCard. I'd like to let you know that you are pre-approved for this great card -"

"I'm sorry, I'm not interested."

"But, we have this great deal for you! It's a low APR!"

"I said, I'm not interested."

"But, but, but, it has no annual fee!"

"Hey, I'll tell you what. I'm not interested, but I have a friend here who may be. Would you like to talk to him?"

"Sure! Hello, this is Jane Doe from -"

"SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! CHIRRRRRRRP! CHIRRRRRRRP! CHIRRRRRRRRP!"

Of course, nowadays I can still open ZTerm and type 'ATA' in there and get a good squeal, but it's not the same without the chirps...

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
crack head - what arrrrrrrrre you talking about?
Heheh... read the subject line for the thread again.

Actually "Windows" was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read it too.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 03:57 PM

Hmmm... I'm gonna look-into the duplicate font thingy... it may be that I have about 800-900 fonts or so, but I only have about 30-40 open upon launch... I'll check it out.

It works *fine* otherwise... auto activation works quite well w/ Illust. & InDesign.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 06:00 PM

Obsolete? Let's see... I don't use close to all of the following, but they'll all pretty much be obsolete come Panther, unless expanded or improved.

LiteSwitch.
Addressix.
FaxSTF.
Labels X.
Default Folder
Open/Save dialogs will have to be seriously improved in Panther to make me give up Default Folder. The following improvements are imperative:

1) keyboard navigation good as or better than OS 9;

2) snap back I want the dialog to point to the same place I last left it when I open it again in the same app. Default Folder also gives one the ability to select a folder from within an open/save dialog via its Finder window if it's open--very, very handy;

3) limited file management at the very least I'll need to be able to rename files and move them to the trash from within those dialogs. I'd also like to be able to create new folders using keyboard commands;

4) recent folders list this is huge, along with the ability to toggle between the recent folders list via the keyboard.

And that's not even half of what Default Folder brings to the party. Anyone know if these features are there in Panther??

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2003, 06:50 PM

I believe Panther provides either at least that much or possibly close to that kind of functionality in the open/save dialogs.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
I believe Panther provides either at least that much or possibly close to that kind of functionality in the open/save dialogs.
That would be enough for me. But I gotta ask (if even rhetorically), why, oh why, has it taken them two years to get that right?!? I remember open/saves being a particular target of the Rhapsody group. Here's to hoping...

step
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2003, 07:39 PM

obsolete?
outlook express, up to now i've just done without it

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 10:23 PM

Obsolete? Beige G3s!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 12:47 AM

Jaguar

or pen and paper
I, ASIMO.

BGK
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Does it show the Bookmarks? That is the one reason I still use Acrobat Reader - if you view any of Apple's developer documentation (such as Foundation.pdf, AppKit.pdf, AquaHIGuidelines.pdf, etc.), Preview is not capable of listing the bookmarks so you can quickly jump to some method's description. It also has no search facility in Jaguar - have they added that in Panther?

If Panther Preview adds bookmarks and search, it will replace Acrobat Reader for me in a heartbeat.
yes, it does!
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 05:59 AM

The new classic I hear about is honestly the most appealing feature I've heard about

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 06:57 AM

Among others, the new Restore feature in Disk Utility seems like a prelude to integrated basic Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore capabilities in Panther: very good!

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by BGK:
yes, it does!
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules