Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > trouble sending HTML email-

trouble sending HTML email-
sethwrks
Aug 4, 2003, 11:55 AM

how do u send html emails in 10.2's "MAIL"?
more specifically- how can i grab a webpage and send it to someone,
without losing the formatting?

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 11:59 AM

simply put you don't send HTML mail.

why not just send somebody the link to the web page (that's easy just drag the page icon from the browser address field to your email, or copy/paste).
cpac

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 03:05 PM

I believe that Apple's Mail.app actually sends all formated mail as rtf files which most mail packages can read but which don't have the security issues that HTML mail does. However I believe that Panther's mail supports HTML mail.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 04:01 PM

*shudder*

Tell me you're joking. When I'm king, all mail will be plaintext. From time to time I read my mail from the command line. I truly hope Panther doesn't make it easier to send HTML mail.

I won't miss the dancing monkeys a bit.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

-Q-
Aug 4, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Tell me you're joking. When I'm king, all mail will be plaintext. From time to time I read my mail from the command line. I truly hope Panther doesn't make it easier to send HTML mail.
Unfortunately when I'm supreme dicatator of the universe, I won't be appointing any kings.

Besides, I find HTML e-mail useful on occasion (the fam loves those fancy family newsletters). I think David Pogue had a good article on this in the NYTimes a few weeks ago. Like all things, HTML mail is good in moderation and has its uses...

sethwrks  (op)
Aug 4, 2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
When I'm king,

-Q-
Unfortunately when I'm supreme dicatator of the universe-----------

First off--
I'm GOD, so neither one of you will get on the list,

so obviously i must elaborate on my issue-
i need to find a way to send html through the mac so i can throw away this stupid "thinkpad" ( an oxymoron in its own) sitting between my pair of G4's.
It's all part of my job to send
purchased information (not spam!!) that we keep in a locked area of our website. Now people who buy this info on a monthly basis just get a user/password and we let them get it themselves, for those who buy on a daily basis, nobody wants to spend the time to setup a member for one day, its a hassle, so we email the page to them and we're done. I know its not the greatest of systems but this is how it goes for know.
IF THIS STUPID F*&%KING THINKPAD COULD DO IT -SO SHOULD I!!!

any suggestions?

step
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 10:08 PM

netscapes mail/composer should do it for ya.
free and nicely matured.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2003, 10:26 PM

Can you clarify a little more how you send the website on the Thinkpad?

A "web page" consists of a base HTML file, which in turn can make reference to a lot of other material (images, style sheets, embedded frames). When your browser reads a page, it processes all these references and downloads the images (and any other components) as well (it's like magic how it all comes together in one display!).

You can use almost any browser to view a web page and (using, e.g. "Source" from the "View" menu of Internet Explorer or Safari) select the original source of the web page. (SInce your company creates that original file, you might well be able to obtain that .html file directly.) But this doesn't include all the images, etc. Those would still be network references.

You can use Netscape's (or Mozilla's) mail client, (or MS Entourage with the help of Paul Berkowitz's Send Complex HTML Applescript) to send that page. But the recipient's eMail client is still going to need to access the images (and any other references) when the mail is actually viewed.

Can your recipients access those components on the "locked" part of your website, or do you need to attach the images in mail as well? If so, Netscape's mail client will do the job nicely.

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 03:50 AM

Direct Mail

Allows you to paste in HTML source and send out the email. Designed for sending in bulk, but useful for sending complex HTML emails to whoever you need to. Small shareware fee, but it's worth the money.

-Q-
Aug 5, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Direct Mail

Allows you to paste in HTML source and send out the email. Designed for sending in bulk, but useful for sending complex HTML emails to whoever you need to. Small shareware fee, but it's worth the money.
Has that been updated in the last year or so? Last time I tried it, it was rather unreliable...

From experience, I'd try the Mozilla mail/composer way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules