Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Still Angry

Safari Still Angry
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 03:18 AM

Safari keeps crashing on me, even after deleting it and reinstalling it twice. I ran Disk Warrior just before this occurd and the rest of my system is working great.

Anyone have any thougths? I was thinking it had something to do with the Security Update I installed a week or so ago.

Anyone else have a problem with Safari?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
Safari keeps crashing on me, even after deleting it and reinstalling it twice. I ran Disk Warrior just before this occurd and the rest of my system is working great.

Anyone have any thougths? I was thinking it had something to do with the Security Update I installed a week or so ago.

Anyone else have a problem with Safari?
Do you have an old version of PithHelmet installed?

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Do you have an old version of PithHelmet installed?
I never heard of it, so I assume no.

step
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 08:40 PM

if it's not the app, then it's usually the prefs.

also try "empty cache" from the safari menu, and if all else fails "reset safari" (i think this might trash your bookmarks tho..)

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2003, 10:21 PM

My mom's machine is having the same problem. As soon as it begins to launch, it quits. No Pith Helmet or other add-ons, and I've trashed all preferences.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

eizzumdm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 11:11 PM

I had a Safari crashing problem on one of my Macs about two months back. I couldn't surf through more than a couple of sites before the dreaded "unexpected quit." I tried all of the standard prefs deleting and reinstallation you probably already have done.

Then I read on MacFixit that some had had success after deleting the seemingly unrelated preferences for QuickTime. So I quit Safari, did a Finder search for QuickTime and deleted anything that had com.apple.quicktime.whatever in it, relaunched Safari, and my crashing problems were history.

Forum Links
Forum Rules