Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Panther Mail improved over Jaguar?

Panther Mail improved over Jaguar?
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:43 PM

I am currently using Microsoft Entourage, but only use it for e-mail. I use Address Book for a few contacts and iCal for appointments and a to-do list.

Is the Mail on Panther faster/more feature-full then on Jaguar? If so, I am definitely switching come Friday.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 11:23 PM

It is significantly faster. The additional features are mainly small tweaks, but I like what they did do.

A friend of mine moved from Entourage to Mail with 10.3.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 12:03 AM

Much, much faster... like most of Panther. Better handling of addresses (now treats them as drag-and-drop objects). More searching options. Threaded e-mails (NICE).

Gets a

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 12:55 AM

I have been using outlook and Entourage for 6 years. The mail in 10.3 made me switch finally. It is REALLY fast and the way it integrates with iChat and the address book is fabulous.

Now I just wish it was brushed metal

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Now I just wish it was brushed metal
Actually when I tried out Mail a year ago or so, I did this. Just open the main mail viewer window nib (and the other main windows like compose) with Interface Builder (you need the have xCode or Developer Tools installed) and change the interface from Aqua to Brushed Metal.

TC
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 03:32 AM

With every release of X that comes out i try to switch over to Mail from Entourage. There is always something which holds me back though.

Can someone tell me how good the searching is, can you find a message based on the extension of an attachment for example?

Also can someone explain how mailboxes work, every time i try to move over it confuses me by having a separate mailbox for each mail account. In Entourage I have lots of rules to move incoming mail to the correct folder and anything which slips through goes into a single InBox.

Finally is there any software which would allow you to use both of them at the same time, i.e. keep them both synchronized. Or would I just have to set one to not delete downloaded emails?
Nothing to see, move along.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 05:45 AM

Also can someone explain how mailboxes work, every time i try to move over it confuses me by having a separate mailbox for each mail account. In Entourage I have lots of rules to move incoming mail to the correct folder and anything which slips through goes into a single InBox.
What he said... And do rules finally work every time? I know many will now post that they do currently for them... But they never have in Mail for me. I'm no e-mail novice, either. I have dozens of rules shunting messages to any one of 12 different folders in Entourage. I can never get it to work in Mail though. I'd love to switch, but not until I can get that to work.

[OFF TOPIC]

And with iCal, do reminders (or "notifications" as Entourage calls them) work even when the app isn't open?

[/OFF TOPIC]
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
[OFF TOPIC]

And with iCal, do reminders (or "notifications" as Entourage calls them) work even when the app isn't open?

[/OFF TOPIC]
Yes.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 08:40 AM

Big mail user, was into Eudora for years (5?).

I like Mail's junk filter, account set up (different inboxes but can be viewed together). Also like iChat awareness.

Looking forward to 10.3's :
- Better addresses
- Junk * ISP spam filtering
- Signature ABOVE reply
- Speed (speed, speed).
- Threading

A few things I wish they would are the bugs where a message gets moved to a folder and "forgets" what account it was sent to (replying brings you back to main account).

If that is not fixed in 10.3, I will use my sig.

BZ

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 09:11 AM

Still cant remove attachments without deleting message in .mac account. Very annoying if you're like me who wants a record of EVERY email kept, but would like to slim down my mailbox (don't tell me to archive it locally because that limits it to one computer).

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 02:36 PM

Oh goody, so your signature will be displayed above the reply? Now that I remember, that was a big pain in Jaguars Mail (and probably the previous version too).

step
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 07:08 PM

STILL sends those goofy apple doubled phantom attachments to pc users, dammit.
First thing i tried

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by step:
First thing i tried
errr... was hoping this was fixed also!

:X

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by step:
First thing i tried
I don't have Panther, but I was told this was fixed. Look under Edit > Attachments. Make sure "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments" is selected.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
I don't have Panther, but I was told this was fixed. Look under Edit > Attachments. Make sure "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments" is selected.
Oh, fantastic! Phew...

Chris

step
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
ha!
brilliant, cheers dtriska!

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 09:45 PM

Hi!

Rendering of html-mails is now done by WebCore (same that Safari uses), so it's fast.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 10:58 AM

Yes much improved over the Mail in Jag.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 12:38 PM

They also fixed a rather annoyning big from Jaguar mail. If a single IMAP server was configured, you had no way to expand the folder list to see all the folders on the server. You had to add a second account of some type.
<This space under renovation>

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 12:45 PM

There are two things that Eudora does that I wish Apple would pick up on:

1) There was a control click option in Eudora that would select all of message that had the same criteria. So, if you command + click on the message from "Ralph" on the address it would select every message in that box from him. If you clicked on a date, it would select everything from that date, subject, etc.

This was a great way of finding emails. I can, of course, do it with a search, but that function was so easy in Eudora (5 - 2001).

2) The other thing is the server status. They need to put server status as a rule option. I would like to be able to set all Junk mail, once identfied and dropped in the junk mail folder to be deleted off of the server. No need keeping copies of junk on the server.

I have looked into AppleScript for both, but found nothing.

BZ

noka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:01 PM

just got panther installed... mail.app and everything else is making my windows-laden co-workers drool...

dope.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 03:04 PM

Did the final version improve the somewhat lackluster scripting of Mail? I know that scripting hadn't changed in the builds I had tried. I was surprised as, in some ways, Apple hasn't exactly supported Applescript as well as it could in many applications.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by BZ:

A few things I wish they would are the bugs where a message gets moved to a folder and "forgets" what account it was sent to (replying brings you back to main account).

If that is not fixed in 10.3, I will use my sig.

BZ
Not fixed... very annoying too.

Feedback as soon as Feedback updated for 10.3

Cheers!

T

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 02:33 PM

Mail no longer plays the "New Mail" Sound if the mail is junk mail. Finally!

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

Well I've switched over from Entourage to Mail finally, thanks to Panther. It opens (and quits, for that matter) much quicker, looks nicer, but it does take longer to go to my mailing list folders with over 25,000+ e-mails.

Other than that, it's very nice.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 03:24 PM

Been playing with it all morning.. and I was about to be pissed off, because I thought that the one feature I REALLY wanted was not working.

If you have one inbox selected and looking at a thread it does not show replies! I was going to go nuts!

I was over at MacOSXHints.com and came across a hint that says to display both the incoming emails and replies in the thread, all you have to do is select the inbox and sent folder.

Works like a CHARM!

Thanks APPLE!

BZ

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by keston:
Mail no longer plays the "New Mail" Sound if the mail is junk mail. Finally!
This is possible in Jaguar. You just have to manipulate the rules.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 10:00 PM

I know this... i can also print with the command line... My point is, without any messing around with settings of rules, which my average joe user would not know about.

Originally posted by wallinbl:
This is possible in Jaguar. You just have to manipulate the rules.

Forum Links
Forum Rules