Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Launchbar and Synergy to QuickSilver and Growl

Launchbar and Synergy to QuickSilver and Growl
tavilach
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 05:18 AM

I've officially switched from Launchbar and Synergy to the amazing QuickSilver and Growl combo...

Unfortunetely, about two months ago I purchased Launchbar and Synergy for a total of about $40.

Depressing, isn't it?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 06:37 AM

Really, why?

I can't be bothered to sort out Growl to be fair, and sizzling keys works brilliantly. I've never quite got on with quicksilver seems slightly odd to me.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 08:49 AM

Quicksilver totally rules!

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I've officially switched from Launchbar and Synergy to the amazing QuickSilver and Growl combo...

Unfortunetely, about two months ago I purchased Launchbar and Synergy for a total of about $40.

Depressing, isn't it?
Same here - switched from LaunchBar almost half a year ago, and ditched Synergy 3 weeks ago.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
Really, why?

I can't be bothered to sort out Growl to be fair, and sizzling keys works brilliantly. I've never quite got on with quicksilver seems slightly odd to me.
Take a look here

http://www.43folders.com/quicksilver/index.html

It's a pretty good tutorial for Quicksilver - although I really don't think you need to read anything to start using QS. To get all the functionalities though, you need to dig a bit further.

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:21 AM

wow. i'm amazed. i mean, i read this all, because i think people here have good ideas.
but i haven't yet found actual reasons to switch to qs other than the interface, which i don't particularly care for (liking launchbar's minimal approach).

i hear of huge lists of things that people are doing from quicksilver... and then i dig around, and launchbar has them all already, without installing any plugins, or rampant beta downloads, or updates.

interesting none the less.

people tell me "oh, install more modules" but... isn't there a valid point to "i didn't have to install anything, it just worked"? because that's where launchbar is...

maybe someday.

sorry you feel like the money wasn't well spent though.

poocat.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 02:19 PM

You want to send me your LaunchBar key?
I owned LaunchBar 3.0, and when they started trying to charge for the next upgrade, I decided to try QuickSilver. Only problem was that it just wasn't responsive on my system at all while I was anything at all even with all the modules that I could live without turned off, I switched back to LaunchBar

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 04:48 PM

What makes Growl better than Synergy for controlling iTunes? Can you assign hotkeys to control iTunes via Growl?

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
What makes Growl better than Synergy for controlling iTunes? Can you assign hotkeys to control iTunes via Growl?
Via QuickSilver you can, or if you don't want to use QuickSilver (you're crazy ), there's GrowlTunes. Nothing is better than Synergy, but I only used it for hotkeys and album artwork, and Growl + QuickSilver does this in a more integrated way.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 07:13 PM

Synergy is the best IMO. I use QuickSilver as well for a search/launch app.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Via QuickSilver you can, or if you don't want to use QuickSilver (you're crazy ), there's GrowlTunes. Nothing is better than Synergy, but I only used it for hotkeys and album artwork, and Growl + QuickSilver does this in a more integrated way.
So using two apps that do tons of things is "more integrated" than using just one targeted at a specific need?

Synergy is the best IMO. I use QuickSilver as well for a search/launch app.
I agree completely, though I'm still waiting to hear how one assigns hotkeys to control iTunes with Quicksilver/Growl.

step
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 02:29 AM

Quicksilver's my new right hand, but i've paid for, and i'm keeping, synergy as well. No logical reason, i just like it...boy, i've paid for LOTS of shareware i don't use any more, but i feel worst about my knack for paying for shareware just before the writer abandons it!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by bmedina:
So using two apps that do tons of things is "more integrated" than using just one targeted at a specific need?

I agree completely, though I'm still waiting to hear how one assigns hotkeys to control iTunes with Quicksilver/Growl.
No, no...

If it wasn't for Quicksilver/Growl, I'd use Launchbar, Growl, and Synergy. It's one less application, because the Synergy stuff is integrated into Quicksilver.

To assign hotkeys, you have to download the optional scripts from the QuickSilver website. Then you go into QuickSilver preferences, and select "Triggers." Make a trigger for play/pause, next song, show current song, etc...

You then set it up to use Growl for notifications, so that Growl displays the information when you switch tracks and such.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 12:50 PM

I use Growl combined with GrowlTunes and X-Tunes.

But I've always used X-Tunes.

Synergy is great, Wincent is a nice fellow and we've talked a few times via email. You should all try it at least once.

Growl itself is just a way for applications to display things, if anyone is confused about that. The reason you are seeing some people say "Quicksilver+Growl" and others say "GrowlTunes and Growl" is because both can use Growl. All apps could use Growl, including Synergy.

and .6 of Growl is gonna rock

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 13, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
Growl itself is just a way for applications to display things, if anyone is confused about that. The reason you are seeing some people say "Quicksilver+Growl" and others say "GrowlTunes and Growl" is because both can use Growl. All apps could use Growl, including Synergy.

and .6 of Growl is gonna rock
Just want to add: you can even whip up a simple applescript (less than 5 lines) to display notification via Growl - for example, use it to notify you when someone emails you, etc. In other words, Growl can serve multiple purposes although itself is only displaying notifications.

Can't wait to get .6 of Growl!

Forum Links
Forum Rules