Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Do spotlight comments travel with files?

Do spotlight comments travel with files?
step
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 07:34 PM

Hi, does anyone know if spotlight keywords and comments stay with a file if you email it/back it up to cd/ use it on a different mac?
"Classic" lables and comments did , but i was worried that if all that stuff is now held in a local database then it isn't really "attached" to the file?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 07:43 PM

As far as I know spotlight comments *are* the old Finder comments, just renamed and made blue.

step  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
As far as I know spotlight comments *are* the old Finder comments, just renamed and made blue.
Thanks!
I mailed myself a file and the comments didn't survive, i wrote it to a usb drive and they did (but it created an invisible spotlight cache on the drive)
i copied it to the same drive with pathfinder, the comment didn't make it.
I'm going to take a wild guess that burning files to disk through anything other than the finder will strip off the spotlight data too!
i miss resource forks

CKr
May 18, 2005, 11:31 PM

in order to retain Spotlight comments in the file you would have to put it in a .dmg image before burning.

step  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CKr
in order to retain Spotlight comments in the file you would have to put it in a .dmg image before burning.
aha!
that might work for mailing too, i'll give it a go , thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by step
i miss resource forks
The Finder comment was never stored in the resource fork. In the classic days it was stored in the Desktop Database. Buring with anything else but the Finder would have stripped the comment too. And in System 7 rebuilding the Desktop Database (which had to be done regularly) zapped all the comments. That made comments pretty useless.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 18, 2005, 11:55 PM

Which of course spawned a cottage industry of programs to save the comments across rebuilds, and that was later built into Mac OS (I think it was with Mac OS 8.5 or so).

tooki

step  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The Finder comment was never stored in the resource fork. In the classic days it was stored in the Desktop Database. Buring with anything else but the Finder would have stripped the comment too. And in System 7 rebuilding the Desktop Database (which had to be done regularly) zapped all the comments. That made comments pretty useless.
ah! you're right of course, i was getting mixed up with custom icons!

Forum Links
Forum Rules