Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Love The 80's (Strikes Back) on VH1

I Love The 80's (Strikes Back) on VH1
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 07:25 PM

Anyone else been watching this series that started this week...its just as funny as the first series...although Boy George is FREAKING ME OUT MAN!!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
Anyone else been watching this series that started this week...its just as funny as the first series...although Boy George is FREAKING ME OUT MAN!!!!
I think it's much better than the first series...they've learned even more about how to (re)package that decade for us.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 22, 2003, 07:39 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 6, 2004 at 11:34 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 09:38 PM

My kid is watching that dreck right now. 2nd tier celebs giving their almost worthless opinions on old stuff. Drivel.

I'm about to pull my own head off, but fortunately, it's almost bed time. Ahh, blessed silence.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:00 PM

Not one of these awful shows where B- (or maybe C-) list "celebrities" reminisce about things that they'd clearly forgotten all about until the were shown a piece of video and handed the script 5 minutes earlier?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 06:38 AM

the 80s ruled!!

nostalgia is a good thing.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I watched a little bit of the first series while I was (nostalgically) shopping in a music store that shall not be named.

I feel the 80's were all about nostalgia. And now we're nostalgic for such nostalgia.

So strange.
My wife works with teens/tweens and told me how bizarrely popular the 80s are for them -- even though they weren't alive at the time.

Nostolgia for nostolgia for us, nostolgia for some "missing" for teens, maybe...I guess the 80s is far enough away from us now to look dated and exotic (if you squint).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 09:15 AM

ahem I was born in 79 so I was young in the 80s but I was born Timo

24? does that make me a tween?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 11:34 AM

The show rocks. I don't recognize more than half of the so-called celebrities, but some of the comments are hilarious (to me).

Boy George is a disgusting monster of a human. Is he still human?

So why don't you dissenters just shut the SMURF up!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
ahem I was born in 79 so I was young in the 80s but I was born Timo

24? does that make me a tween?
I guess your a 'tween tween us (the 80s pop culture consumers, first time around) and the tween (pop culture consumers, 80s branded, of today). That makes you the missing link, I guess.

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
The show rocks. I don't recognize more than half of the so-called celebrities, but some of the comments are hilarious (to me).

Boy George is a disgusting monster of a human. Is he still human?

it looks like a bird pooped on boy george's head after eating some skittles. i also find some of the comments the celebrities make very funny...Hal Sparks, the guy from Ed, and the guy from Grounded For Life? i dont know there names

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Hahaha. Speaking of Smurfs, anyone here own that Smurf game they mentioned for the ColecoVison? I wasted many hours of my youth playing that game along with Donkey Kong, Q-Bert and Time Pilots. Oh ColecoVison, how I miss thee!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
Glad to see I'm not the only one that is totally freaked out by Boy George

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 11:25 AM

watch Back to the Future II. When they go into the 80's retro resturant ("only its not done very well", Doc says)

that is what 50s diners probably look like to our parents.

80s in the midwest cow town were nothing like they ever portrayed in the 80s teen movies!

petehammer
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
My kid is watching that dreck right now. 2nd tier celebs giving their almost worthless opinions on old stuff. Drivel.

I'm about to pull my own head off, but fortunately, it's almost bed time. Ahh, blessed silence.

CV
What pisses me off is that instead of spending time and money to get the people involved with the events and music, they get crappy 8th-tier "celebs" going "Dude, Captain Kangaroo was awesome. I used to get high and watch him."

It's a horrible, horrible excuse for a documentary. It could have been a contender!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 01:16 PM

I agree with everyone that says the show sucks because sh**ty celebs on the show. There are 2 tools that make the show really suck.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
I agree with everyone that says the show sucks because sh**ty celebs on the show. There are 2 tools that make the show really suck.
Whatever. Michael Ian Black is, for me, the funniest guy on the show. And Boy George is dressed like that because that's the style of the persona he's using for his new musical.

Besides, the show has no pretensions of being a documentary or being anything but television candy. It's not a big enough deal for me to get offended by Donal Logue (or however it's spelled). Everyday I realize more and more how badly stranded I am in a society where no one will ever agree with me.
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; Oct 24, 2003 at 01:39 PM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Forum Links
Forum Rules