Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iTouch is Awesome

The iTouch is Awesome (Page 2)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 07:07 AM

That's totally inappropriate, analogika.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 07:13 AM

No, it wasn't.

And you already told me in a private message.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 07:17 AM

The private message was for you. The post was to show other members that something is being done about this. I don't care what personal history exists between you two. Keep it out of public threads.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I don't care what personal history exists between you two. Keep it out of public threads.
Whatever history exists has been in public threads, but: agreed.

danuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
How good is the PDA function? I'm going to eventually have to replace my Palm Tungsten PDA and I'm very interesting in an iPod/PDA device that is good at being both a digital media player and a PDA. I really hate those 'Jack of all traits' devices that really aren't good at any of its traits but has all those traits more as a selling feature.
Hi,
The iPod Touch is a good choice as a PDA except it lacks the ability for one to add names and addresses into the address book and appointments into the calendar. But if one does it on there computer each night and updates the iPod at that time, then it could be a perfect PDA device.

I wish Apple would give us the ability to add / edit names into the address book on the iPod 'on the fly' then Palm and others would have more to worry about.

-Dan

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by danuff View Post
Hi,
The iPod Touch is a good choice as a PDA except it lacks the ability for one to add names and addresses into the address book and appointments into the calendar. But if one does it on there computer each night and updates the iPod at that time, then it could be a perfect PDA device.

I wish Apple would give us the ability to add / edit names into the address book on the iPod 'on the fly' then Palm and others would have more to worry about.
They did, three months ago.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 11:31 PM

Well I got my new 8gb iTouch today and it rocks. I was able to put all five of the movies I ripped onto it as well as 30 video podcasts. And there's still over 2gb of room left. Oh yea, it turns out I have wi-fi in my bedroom.

Man, this thing is tiny in real life.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 12:11 AM

Hi,

-Dan
The Touch has allowed you to add Contacts in the address book since day one, and as mentioned they added the ability to add into the Calendar on the most recent update.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 01:41 AM

Just out of curiosity, but can the Touch use anything other than the Universal Dock and Apple Brand cable to sync? I've got several 3rd party dock cables and a few older docks, and while I can charge the Touch with them, I can't seem to get it to sync.

I know about the chip thing for video out, but that's really low of Apple if they're preventing 3rd party and older Apple products from allowing the Touch to sync.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2008, 12:17 PM

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!!

It's called iPod touch!

Jeez! Get it right! What is wrong with you people??

Cold Warrior
Jan 6, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Goob View Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!!

It's called iPod touch!

Jeez! Get it right! What is wrong with you people??
I'm sure most people know that. It's normal for people to shorten names or assign them nicknames. I for one like Touch or iTouch.

sab0016
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 12:44 PM

My Touch is awesome BUT:

1. I was able to go to bank sites but suddenly now I can't
2. I miss tne function of Outlook where you can put in notes - I have to write in under an appointment rather than a separate note
3. I also miss the Merriam Webster chip in my Palm Tungsten that allowed me to look up words anywhere.

Any one have ideas or solutions, please let me know!

Steven

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Goob View Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ITOUCH!!!
Well, there's no such thing as an AlBook or TiBook, but those names were also popular. And if you mention the Puck Mouse or iLamp, people around here know exactly what you're talking about.

sab0016
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 12:50 PM

If you use Outlook, you can add all you want and Itunes asks you to check conflicts when you syn

Steven

sab0016
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 12:52 PM

Hi,

-Dan
See my 3 points below on PDA vs Ipod Touch

I think it is mostly better than the Tungsten, lacking my dictionary, the notes and an audible alarm

the Wi-Fi is great - but some how I have been stopped for accessing on line banking

I expect using Iclueless and other things will make it better, and software will come along, so I vote for the Ipod Touch over a PDA like the Tungsten

Steven

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 02:12 PM

I've had my iPod touch for a while now ( a 16 GB). I love it and hate it at the same time. I hate that you have to turn it on to adjust volume and track and what not. I really want a remote for it or something. I love the screen. Most people have said that it is darker and has worse contrast than the iPhone's, but IDK. I think it looks better. The iPhone's screen seems to have a too low contrast. I wish you could pick your own EQ. There is not quite enough treble in Apple's preset EQ compared to how I normally listen. I love the thin design. My battery life with Wi-Fi off has been great.

blueleaf
Jan 6, 2008, 02:45 PM

Well just for anyone who's not familiar with jailbreaking and what it can do, here is a screenshot of my jailbroken iPod. This is only one screen...see those five little dots in between the dock and the apps? Each one represents another screen just like thie one you see here and when i slide my finger i see the next screen. So, in total i have over 60 apps...maybe I have too many, but why not? all of it take up less than 200 MB

not_too_shabby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 07:07 PM

I almost bought one yesterday, but am hoping they'll bump up the memory after macworld, like 16gb for $299.

How quickly does it find wifi connections? Will it automatically connect if it finds one? Can you just walk down the street and have it download your email(assuming you have downloaded that mail program and jailbreaked it)? Seems like their are tons of open wifi networks, that it would be almost like having edge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules