Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: YouTube vanishes from older Apple TVs, Ford adding CarPlay

Briefly: YouTube vanishes from older Apple TVs, Ford adding CarPlay
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 4, 2015, 05:11 PM

Owners of second-generation Apple TV units -- the last of the larger, gray-colored models -- have reported that YouTube has vanished from the devices starting last night, with both the dedicated channel and references to the feature being removed. As reported previously, the change is due to alterations Google announced last month in the YouTube Data API to allow for new features that various older devices, including some of Google's own, cannot support. Also affected in the cutoff are YouTube app support for older iOS devices running obsolete versions of iOS.

Although the YouTube app failure on second-gen and earlier devices can be blamed on Google, Apple has also largely dropped support for the gray Apple TV models, ignoring the units when it came to software updates, though for the most part channel additions were still supported. Only the smaller "black box" third-gen and later have received the current set of iOS 8-based system upgrades. Apple recently reduced the cost of the current Apple TV, presumably to clear inventory ahead of a rumored new version of the set-top box set to debut as early as the WWDC conference in June.

Ford CEO details CarPlay, Android Auto integrations into Sync system

Ford, an early adopter of announced CarPlay support but well behind other manufacturers in actually implementing it, has finally detailed how it will integrate its own BlackBerry QNX-based Sync infotainment system with both Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto in order to remove obstacles from car-buying choices. CEO Mark Fields said that CarPlay and Android Auto support will arrive alongside Sync 3 in car models shipping at the end of this year.

According to Fields and Ford CTO Raj Nair, the company's own Sync system is itself a draw for buyers, but did not want potential customers to be shut out of using features they prefer. The new Sync will, for example, allow drivers to use both CarPlay features and Sync features simultaneously, giving the example of a user accessing Apple Maps through CarPlay while listening to Sirius radio, which is handled by Sync. Fields added that the company is exploring the expansion of in-car cellular connectivity across more of its car models.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 4, 2015 at 05:14 PM. )

andi*pandi
May 4, 2015, 05:47 PM

This explains why the youtube app on ipad1 has started going wonky.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 4, 2015, 06:20 PM

Yup. Very shortly, it'll stop working entirely.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2015, 11:24 PM

Ford half-heartedly supports Apple CarPlay while trying to be all thing to all people? It sounds like a recipe for disaster. Count me out for this FrankenAutotainment system. Still no Fords for me. I will buy my next car only if it natively supports only CarPlay.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 5, 2015, 05:07 AM

ElectroTech: there are no carmakers I'm aware of that only support CarPlay and nothing else. Both it and Android Auto are "natively" supported on nearly every brand. I can't judge the Sync system as I haven't tried it, but if you're serious about only buying a car that only offers CarPlay, you're limiting your options pretty severely there.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2015, 10:45 AM

I've got a Pioneer 4000NEX and have never used CarPlay because when it's in CarPlay mode it ONLY does CarPlay. As much as I hate Ford's Sync (I was forced to suffer through a miserable week long rental a few years ago), I like the idea of a system that doesn't lock you out of everything else when you choose to use CarPlay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules