Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to make iTunes open to Radio

How to make iTunes open to Radio
reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2010, 01:10 AM

I mostly use iTunes to listen to internet radio stations. However, when I start iTunes, it *always* opens to the music library. There's no obvious preference setting to control initial state, and it ignores where you were the last time it was quit. I even checked com.apple.iTunes.plist for a possible hidden setting - no luck.

Anyone got a tip?

ibook_steve
Mar 31, 2010, 11:49 AM

An Automator or Applescript script perhaps? I don't think there's a way to change this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2010, 11:33 AM

Speaking of iTunes Radio; I haven't been able to use it in months, it suddenly disappeared from my media directory. And when I try to re-enable it in Preferences, it's shadowed out and I'm unable to check it.

Is this because I'm traveling out of the states? I can't imagine why that should make a difference...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 11, 2010, 03:40 PM

It's probably checking your IP before the tuning services respond. Try connecting your internet service through a US-based proxy or VPN. And Hulu won't let you watch either without a US-based IP.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 11, 2010, 06:56 PM

iTunes radio isn't US-only. I can use it just fine from Europe.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2010, 02:21 AM

So how I make fix?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
So how I make fix?
Umm I guess your like me I disabled Radio in iTunes to turn it back on go-to Preferences
under Parental you should see that you've unchecked Radio in the disable list second down.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2010, 06:15 AM

Brilliant. Thank you.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I mostly use iTunes to listen to internet radio stations. However, when I start iTunes, it *always* opens to the music library. There's no obvious preference setting to control initial state, and it ignores where you were the last time it was quit. I even checked com.apple.iTunes.plist for a possible hidden setting - no luck.

Anyone got a tip?
Has ibook Steve noted there are applescripts since you haven't replied I found two for you to try: Apple - Downloads - Automator Actions - Radio Startup
& Download Radio Startup 1.1.0 - Allows you to start your iTunes radio and applies your custom settings - Softpedia Haven't tried these myself.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 27, 2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks, I'll have to look into them. I never got handy with AppleScript and was saving that adventure for when I get substantially more annoyed with iTunes. I hadn't thought to look for premade scripts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules