Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > problem accessing my mac from window pc

problem accessing my mac from window pc
DNA1984
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 06:40 PM

my powerbook and windows pc is on the same network. i can access the windows pc from my powerbook. but the powerbook doesn't show up in the network places on my windows pc. i already enabled file sharing and windows sharing on my powerbook, but it still doesn't show up on the network places in the windows pc. the i try adding it manually on the windows pc but when i type the address (the address that shows at the bottom when i enable windows sharing in my powerbook (\\localhost\Derek), the window pc says it can't find the server. what is wrong?

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 08:36 PM

a) 'localhost' is a reserved word. It means "this computer" on every computer.

b) if you are having problems with not seeing the computer in the browser, then just typing in a one word address is not going to work. Try the IP address.

c) have you looked to see if you are in different domains (ie WORKGROUP)?

d) have you checked for firewalls, and the appropriate holes?

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 24, 2005, 09:16 PM

Remember localhost always means "this machine". Same with the IP address 127.0.0.1. If you already knew that please disregard this paragraph.

Make sure both "Personal File Sharing" and "Windows Sharing" are enabled in the Sharing system preference pane on the Mac. Make sure the firewalls on both machines are allowing Windows file sharing, or make sure they are both off. Make sure both machines can ping each other.

Make sure both machines are in the same workgroup. On Windows: Right-click My Computer and click the Network Identification tab. On Mac: Open /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access.app, click the lock icon if the list is grayed out, make sure SMB is enabled, and double-click it to get at the workgroup setting. Neither OS is case-sensitive with the workgroup, but all caps is the custom.

Try "\\ip address\share" instead of "\\host name\share".

If all that doesn't work, make it so that there is a user account on each machine with identical user names and passwords, make sure that user has something shared from the Mac, log in to Windows with the same user and try again. Might help to reboot both machines after setting them up properly and immediately log in to both with that user.

It would be sweet if MS threw Rendezvous into Longhorn for printer and file sharing discovery. Not to mention incredibly easy. (Rendezvous is dirt-simple to implement on any OS.) Would also be nice if both Apple and MS would make SMB/CIFS authentication dialog boxes always have separate fields for name, password, and domain/workgroup. Lots of things would be nice
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:
It would be sweet if MS threw Rendezvous into Longhorn for printer and file sharing discovery. Not to mention incredibly easy. (Rendezvous is dirt-simple to implement on any OS.) ...
Don't I remember somewhere seeing a Rendezvous (or whatever it's called now) installation for WinXP from Apple recently (well, about 6 months ago) - bib it ever get out of beta, or go anywhere ?

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 11:33 AM

Windows Rendezvous Client, note that it does not handle IP address autoconfiguration (link local addresses).

Forum Links
Forum Rules