Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > sticky keyboard syndrome....

sticky keyboard syndrome....
zzarg
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 09:56 AM

any suggestions how to cope with this little problem...

my 6 year old managed to spill a large cup of chai tea - hot, syrupy, milky - onto my Rev.A 12" PowerBook.

after draining the machine on a towel and letting it dry out it was able to start up (after the second or third attempt) and the only apparent damage now is that some of the keys on the left hand side of the keyboard are sticky (hardly surprising)

any suggestions for neat ways to clean them ?

Back in the day I used sparkling mineral water on a similarly afflicted IBM ThinkPad with amazingly good results... but I suspect that might not be the case with more modern machines....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 04:49 PM

Why did you use sparkling mineral water on your ThinkPad? It generally has even more dissolved ions than regular water. Perhaps you mean mineral oil? Mineral oil is electronics safe (some people use it for submersion cooling), but also can be a bit hard to get off.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2005, 05:10 PM

Fizzy water helps dissolve things. That's also why people use it to lift stains from carpet and garments.

tooki

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Why did you use sparkling mineral water on your ThinkPad? It generally has even more dissolved ions than regular water. Perhaps you mean mineral oil? Mineral oil is electronics safe (some people use it for submersion cooling), but also can be a bit hard to get off.
(a) because I had it to hand and (b) mineral oil would have just left another residue to try and get off.
not saying it was a good choice.... but it worked for the ThinkPad. Just not sure I want to risk it with the PowerBook that has much more metal

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 03:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident. I assume your PB Rev A warranty has already expired. I would recommend removing the keyboard from the machine before attempting to clean it.

I had mine removed from the body for cleaning a couple drops of orange juice. I just used tap water and rinse the affected area and a can of compressed air to spray out excess water between keys. Afterwards, I let it dry under a fan for a very long time before putting it back together.

Let us know how it goes.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 11:01 PM

you can use DI water, that has not inons, what ever you do jus make sure you let it dry.. depending on budget/degree of problem, you could buy a new keyboard....

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 08:42 AM

warrenty long gone
I'll go hunt for instructions on removing the keyboard - I know I've seen them somewhere.
apart from the slight stickiness the machine has survived its ordeal just fine.... shows how well Apple build 'em!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 02:04 AM

If it were my machine, I would remove the keyboard and then clean it with a mild soapy water solution and than after I determined it was clean I would rinse it with distilled/DI water. Rinsing it with some type of detergent would probably be necessary to get everything off. Using DI water alone would most likely fail to remove everything without scrubbing. Neither should hurt the electronics as long as you make sure it's completely dry before you reassemble the machine. GL
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules