Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cheapest 1 GB (2 x 512) for MacBook?

Cheapest 1 GB (2 x 512) for MacBook?
dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:11 PM

I'm looking to add more RAM to my MacBook. Where is the current cheapest place to buy 1 GB (2 x 512) RAM? I see NewEgg has this BUFFALO Select RAM 512 RAM for $45.99, so two of those plus tax and shipping would come to $104.94. Know of any place that can beat this? I know RAM prices are on the rise, would it be better for me to just wait? There used to be RAM on sale at NewEgg where I could get 1 GB (2 x 512) for about $84 shipped, but they ran out of stock awhile ago when I didn't have enough money to buy.

Thanks

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 11:19 PM

wy not get a gig stick, have a 1.25 gigs, the ypu can ugrade to 2 if you want

dreamsINdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Karpfish
wy not get a gig stick, have a 1.25 gigs, the ypu can ugrade to 2 if you want
That's a possibility, but I'm not sure how much of a performance loss I would get by not running matched pairs for dual-channel. How much of an impact does that make?

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 11:24 PM

there s a slight decrease in video performance, but overall it will run btter than 2x512

iMAColata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 06:56 AM

What kind of ram then? It seems some people busted their macbooks trying a simple operation as installing ram.

Tales of woe and broken macbooks?

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by dreamsINdigital
I'm looking to add more RAM to my MacBook. Where is the current cheapest place to buy 1 GB (2 x 512) RAM? I see NewEgg has this BUFFALO Select RAM 512 RAM for $45.99, so two of those plus tax and shipping would come to $104.94. Know of any place that can beat this? I know RAM prices are on the rise, would it be better for me to just wait? There used to be RAM on sale at NewEgg where I could get 1 GB (2 x 512) for about $84 shipped, but they ran out of stock awhile ago when I didn't have enough money to buy.

Thanks

I'm selling mine:
http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...-x-512-mb-ram/
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 10:40 AM

the easiest for a 1 gb macbook would be to get BTO

dreamsINdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 05:01 AM

Well I splurged and went for the 2 GB. I found a sweet deal on eBay... 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR2 667 PC2-5400 of Samsung RAM new for $159.98 shipped. Current cheapest 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) at NewEgg goes for $220 shipped + tax.

I bought it from this guy, keep an eye on him, he has good prices for RAM if anyone else is looking to buy.

Morfious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2006, 10:15 AM

I bought my memory earlier (when prices wre cheaper) but this is what I decided to install:

G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 RAM

Total for 2 GB was $175. Install went off without a hitch, 1 stick was a slight bit tight, but went in without too much effort or worry. I have been using it for over a month now without any problems. performance is greatly improved when using mem hogs like parallels. I think the benefit of more memory will be better performance than matchd pairs.

ie. 1 x 1GB stick + 256 MB (factory) will give better prformance than 2x 512 sticks. This is my theory and I have no authentic tests to prove this. Just going by the more is better mentalilty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules