Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Sudden Shutdown

MacBook Sudden Shutdown (Page 7)
NoBackUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 06:37 AM

well I started last week to have the RSS issue... I found some help on this site .... go fix it with tape... seemed to fix it but... ooppps is seems to be doing it again... Well after some What could this be scratching the head seasons.. I found the "additional" cause... the RAM

When I bought the MacBook White form my dealer here Week19 months ago, I wanted 2GB of RAM which they supplied... not an issue... worked fine for 3 months... then RSS...

Ah well apple has a fix.. me thinks... calls the dealer...ETA 6 weeks (Dubai / ME).... Sh#@.. me thinks...

Opened up the beast and did the Tape insulation thing... only then to discover that the RAM was bad... funnie thing is in my iMac 20 Intel...the mem works perfectly...

The Dealer swapped the memory modules so no hassle... but I will still have to wait another 4 weeks for the Heatsink...

So I made a deal with the dealer to sell me a new Week39 BlackBook... and to take in my WhiteBook for Part Exchange...

So here is me real happy as the BlackBook

a) looks cooler and more Work like..
b) Runs WAY WAY cooler than my week 19 WhiteBook

Strange thing is that on the BlackBook either they have change how it cools and therefore the Temp does not change so quickly or they have change something in the OS as CoreDuoTemp does not seem to Jump Around as much... but this is a small price to pay for having a cooler (in both respects) MacBook..

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 13, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz
I just ordered a refurbished MacBook a couple of days ago. I am curious, since it is a refurbished model, it has undergone all of Apple's tests and what not, would they have replaced the heatsink and fixed any other known problems on it? They give it a new serial number too once it's been refurbished. I hope mine isn't f*cked when I get it. I feel uneasy about ordering one now...
Can anyone comment on this? I'm actually getting freaked out the more I read...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 10:08 AM

From AppleTalk Australia''s board.....

--- snip

Okay guys here it is straight from the horses mouth

Thursday night was Tech training night in Brisbane and many of the techs gave the Apple rep a real going over

It was the common feeling that is is a RE-CALL situation, but Apple denies this, and say the Macbook is working perfectly. and is doing what it is meant to do, and shut down if its dignostics if it does not get the correct message so the computer does noy over heat, this is a saefty factor built in to the machine, and this is what the machine is doing

Talk about a political answer, Howard could not have done better, so it was asked if the heart stops and a Dr. has a dead body he should tell the next of kin, everything is okay its just the heart has stopped pumping blood, the body is perfect just doing what it is meant to do, keel over

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/crybaby.gif)

Okay the faulty part was show, will upload a photo tomorrow

It seem all the problem lies with 2 small connectors that bake under the enclosed heat on the Macbook (the Mac book Pro has more space and 2 fans) these connects then loose contact with there pins
These leads solder onto the Heat sing side and can eay be replaced

To logical for Mr. Apple

They have created brand new heat sinks, with new connectors on the end of the wires (old ones are black new ones are white) we inspected the 2 heat sinks for nearly an hour and their is no other difference

Now the problem is, that the new Heatsinks follow a prefence system

70% going to machines manufacted after Sept 2006
20% go to the USA for repairs to warranty claims
10% go to the rest of the world

132 units arrived in Australia this week
enough for only a very small percentage of claims

--- end snip

coit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 11:44 AM

I have a week 22 BlackBook that began RSS after about two months. After much research and eventually talking with AppleCare, they wanted me to ship the machine to them for repair. Unwilling to part with it for two weeks, I took it to the local Apple Store in Seattle. They were well-versed in the problem and the fix, had the parts in stock (heat sink and insulating sponge) and repaired it the same day. No problems since. I agree with others that this problem warrants a voluntary recall by Apple, but I was well served by the local store.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 02:58 PM

Same thing as coit; my Macbook now has problem, too. :/

I'll probably take it in for repair/replacement as soon as I get a chance.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 06:32 AM

Just got my macbook from repair. They replaced the heatsink and top casing. I didn't ask for top casing to be replaced, but it was turning red and blue.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 04:19 AM

I think I had my first random shutdown today

Stay posted...

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 06:23 AM

I'm taking mine in today, shutdowns started a week ago, first time since I got it in May. Sucks.

Tom

UPDATE:
Took mine in today, they take it to Danbury,CT Thursday as they do the repairs there. I assume it's an Apple store. Probably be a week or so they said. Fingers crossed it don't take too long....

Tom
( Last edited by TomR; Oct 17, 2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Additional info)

jackstraw77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I'm taking mine in today, shutdowns started a week ago, first time since I got it in May. Sucks.

Tom
Hey Tom,
I am also based in the Hudson Valley and am wondering wehere youmplan to take your MacBook to address this issue.....

My RSS started yesterday......

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jackstraw77 View Post
Hey Tom,
I am also based in the Hudson Valley and am wondering wehere youmplan to take your MacBook to address this issue.....

My RSS started yesterday......

Dutchess Media center, RT. 44 Grand Union plaza in Pleasant Valley. 635-9919.They ship them to Danbury, CT on Wednesdays to get serviced, I'm dropping mine off after work today.

Tom

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 08:26 PM

UPDATE:

Took mine in today, they take it to Danbury,CT Thursday as they do the repairs there. I assume it's an Apple store. Probably be a week or so they said. Fingers crossed it don't take too long....

Tom

acoustix
Oct 17, 2006, 10:02 PM

MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 03:00 AM

For those of you having a MB sent in for RSS repair - where is it done? Does Apple do it at one location for the entire US or do they have several repair centers? My brother's (he's in NC) got shipped to Memphis. Are there other centers?

meee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 06:40 AM

my macbook does the random shutdown thing but also keeps askin me allthe time if i wanna shut it down and then starts rebootin itself do i need it repaired or is it sum sort of virus?

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by meee21 View Post
my macbook does the random shutdown thing but also keeps askin me allthe time if i wanna shut it down and then starts rebootin itself do i need it repaired or is it sum sort of virus?
The thermal sensor/heatsink induced shutdowns are ALL the way down. No message or warning appears on the screen. The machine suddenly goes black and is totally off. If you are seeing a kernel panic on-screen message, something else is amiss.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 11:33 PM

Man, the RSS is getting more and more often, but I really can't part with my MacBook more than a day or two.

What to do?

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 19, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Man, the RSS is getting more and more often, but I really can't part with my MacBook more than a day or two.

What to do?
Make an appointment at the Genius bar. Tell them about the RSS. Explain that you need your laptop for schoolwork and ask them is there a way they can order the part call you when they receive it. They did this for me and I was without my laptop for a day.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 01:22 AM

Bah, I got my first one yesterday.

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2006, 01:53 AM

My own MacBook just got back from Apple for RSS repair. It took just over two weeks and they appear to have also swapped out the MLB, the memory, the top deck, and even the RAM. Seems to run fine, but my left RAM slot is now missing its ejection lever. The lever is totally gone, not tucked in. Now to decide if it is worth getting it repaired again. :-( I can still get RAM out using pliers, but what a pain and not exactly good if I ever sell the machine later.

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post
My own MacBook just got back from Apple for RSS repair. It took just over two weeks and they appear to have also swapped out the MLB, the memory, the top deck, and even the RAM. Seems to run fine, but my left RAM slot is now missing its ejection lever. The lever is totally gone, not tucked in. Now to decide if it is worth getting it repaired again. :-( I can still get RAM out using pliers, but what a pain and not exactly good if I ever sell the machine later.
I would get the RAM lever repaired. You paid for a new computer with all parts intact. Also, if you ever decide to sell it, a missing RAM lever might reduce how much people are willing to pay.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 19, 2006, 05:42 AM

I just got my MacBook back for the same issue. Turn around time was just 3 days. The work order says they only replaced the heat sink. However it appears I got a new top deck, screen, keyboard, trackpad and button. I could not remember anything wrong with those parts. So far no sudden shutdowns but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm very pleased with this AppleCare experience.

meee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 05:24 PM

The thermal sensor/heatsink induced shutdowns are ALL the way down. No message or warning appears on the screen. The machine suddenly goes black and is totally off. If you are seeing a kernel panic on-screen message, something else is amiss.
it turns it totally off sometimes but other times it keeps coming up with the shutdow options you get when you press the power button and it comes up all the time but the message never comes up when i dont have the battery in but am running it off the power supply.

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 05:55 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but thought you guys might want to see it.

http://skynews-clips.videoloungetv.c...71006_1230.mp4

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2006, 11:50 AM

I have to give major kudos to Apple Customer Relations. Last night I discovered that not only the RAM ejection lever was missing but the DVD drive was also non-functional. After I calmly told my story starting with my 1st MacBook that was captured for analysis, the failure of the replacement MacBook and the botched repair, Apple offered to replace the machine. It was all handled very professionally and affably. All in all, I feel like I was well taken care of and feel good about continuing to promote Mac's to those around me. Believe me, that is a LOT of people who call me daily before buying any electronics.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 01:14 PM

Long time no post... my blackbook week 20 blackbook was replaced after 3 unsuccessful repairs of RSS. I waited one month for a replacement machine. amd today, my week 32 blackbook started RSS. On the phone with customer relations I have seriously lost hope in these machines, reliability for me has been terrible, and I truly need the machine to get through my schooling.

CH

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 01:50 PM

Well, I am no longer going to be in the macbook forum, as much as I love the size, and performance of machine while its working, I can't be bogged down by the unreliability of the machine. Apple is upgrading me to the lowest model MBP with a gig of ram. Best wishes to all, and I hope that RSS is fixed for good now.

CH

seaofcrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

My week 30 MacBook started having this problem, and I called AppleCare about it. They say I'll get mine back in 5-7 "business days". Hopefully it won't take too long.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Glossy

bmwk100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 09:36 PM

Mine just started doing this three weeks ago. (I bought it in May.) Thanks to this forum, I know what I'm dealing with. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar in Boca Raton Tuesday. Hopefully they have the part in stock.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 04:29 PM

Mine did it for the first time yesterday and has done it six times since. I am very pissed off. As a student I can't really afford to lose mine mid semester and i'm not near enough to an Apple store to bring it in. I may have to go back to using my old iBook until the end of the semester. I take notes on my computer and can't afford to have it shutting down in the middle of class. This is a tremendous issue and one that annoys the hell out of me.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 05:43 PM

Just call Apple. I don't have an Apple store nearby either, the closest is 1 1/2 hours away. Luckily there is a place near me that brings repairs to CT every week so hopefully I'll get mine back by weeks end. Apple will send a box to you if I'm not mistaken. A week or so isn't THAT bad to get it fixed for FREE. How people can complain when Apple is FIXING these is beyond me....

Tom
( Last edited by TomR; Oct 23, 2006 at 06:55 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 06:07 PM

Ok my black MacBook has never shown the SSP but from my understanding it WILL happen just a matter of when.

So I called my local Apple repair shop, gave them my serial and told them to call me when the parts came in (heatsink and fan).

A few days later they called, said it was in, I brought the laptop and 3 hours later picked it up with the new parts installed.

Since I got it home I have noticed that it runs on average 5-8 degress cooler but even when it does hit 60 the case itself on the bottom left its much cooler than before being only warm and now hot.

So can't complain.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 09:48 PM

..A week or so isn't THAT bad to get it fixed for FREE. How people can complain when Apple is FIXING these is beyond me....
1. It's a design flaw. 2. All MacBooks are under one year old.

Apple has to fix it for free.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
1. It's a design flaw. 2. All MacBooks are under one year old.

Apple has to fix it for free.
The problem is when Apple has multiple unsuccessful repairs, and replacement machines that end up exhibiting the same symptoms. It his very hard for consumers to trust a machine that they have had such a bad track record with, like you said, they are under a year old, and most portables don't randomly shut down in their first 6 mos. of service.

I have owned many Apple portables, both in the Ibook line and the powerbook line, and even revisions with published flaws never gave me as much trouble as the MacBook. I do not blame the machine for it's inherent flaw, because, when the machine was running, it was great, Apple could have done a better job investigating, and executing the remediation. I must say Apple has done good by me, by being very hospitable and apologetic.

CH

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 01:54 AM

I think I am having RRS-like issues:

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...this-is-weird/

(last post)

My MacBook will not wake from sleep, so I hold the power button down to shut it off, 10 mins. later I turn it back on, and get this message: Mac OS X has unexpectedly quit!

This only happens when trying to wake from sleep mode. The Book hasn't actually shut itself down... yet...

Opinions?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 03:22 AM

I have exactly the same thing here drnkn_stylz. Mine sometimes won't turn on again until I connect it to the power. Am taking it in to Apple soon.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 01:40 PM

Please keep me posted all2ofme! Since I am a student I cannot really afford to have my MacBook gone for very long.

Merc248
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 04:18 AM

Okay, so my Macbook started having the RSS around two or three weeks ago. I sent it in, had it repaired, and got it back just today.

It works, but only when I'm on AC power. When I disconnect my AC adapter, THE DAMNED THING SHUTS OFF. I try turning the Macbook on, and it still shuts down when it's not plugged in! What the ****?

Anyone know what might be wrong? I'll probably have to exchange it (or at least get it repaired...)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 05:14 AM

Is the battery installed and seated correctly? Have you tried recalibrating it?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Is the battery installed and seated correctly? Have you tried recalibrating it?
Also try resetting the PMU as your battery may not be charging properly because the PMU is messed up.

tomasboudr
Oct 26, 2006, 11:34 AM

people having the unplug and it goes dead issue, get your MB replaced... I've had 2 MB replacements... one was for that.
now I'm having RSS.

I'm getting a replacement or returning it.
-Tom
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Merc248 View Post
Okay, so my Macbook started having the RSS around two or three weeks ago. I sent it in, had it repaired, and got it back just today.

It works, but only when I'm on AC power. When I disconnect my AC adapter, THE DAMNED THING SHUTS OFF. I try turning the Macbook on, and it still shuts down when it's not plugged in! What the ****?

Anyone know what might be wrong? I'll probably have to exchange it (or at least get it repaired...)
Probably?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Merc248
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Also try resetting the PMU as your battery may not be charging properly because the PMU is messed up.
I actually did that TWICE, both times netting no good results at all.

And yes, I triple checked the battery; it's seated properly and there's a full charge on it.

I'm going to head to the local Apple Store and get it replaced. Hopefully.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Merc248 View Post
I actually did that TWICE, both times netting no good results at all.

And yes, I triple checked the battery; it's seated properly and there's a full charge on it.

I'm going to head to the local Apple Store and get it replaced. Hopefully.
It's the battery. Same thing happened to me. Took it into a Store and a Genius ordered a replacement battery. Not that big of deal; seems to be a known problem with the batteries. I wonder if Sony makes them?

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 05:03 PM

Well here’s my Macbook “repair” report. Took in to get repaired last Wednesday. They take them to CT on Thursdays for repairs. Called this morning to check on it and it was back...the verdict? “Nothing wrong with it”. NONSENSE! Charged me $90.00 because there was no hardware problem found. Nice. PLUS they got tape all over the top case,some ink on the bottom, they made it a MESS.

Called Apple. First guy said my 90 day telephone support was over, I told him it’s a hardware issue. Eventually got a real person (yes Apple has the horrible automated menus too), Josh. Nice guy. Explained my trouble. He had me walk through a few things, reseat the RAM, do the 5 second power button hold (what’s that do, reset PMU?) then had me download/install what looks like a new firmware update. He told me to test her out for 3 days and if it acts up again call with my case number and they’ll ship me a box. I told them to make they they note the case tape/ink damage. I am NOT happy with this service place I took it to. Anyway, We’ll see how this thing runs the next few days. Anyone else got the newer firmware update? 1.1 Does it seem to work?

Tom

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2006, 08:09 AM

Well here’s my Macbook “repair” report. Took in to get repaired last Wednesday. They take them to CT on Thursdays for repairs. Called this morning to check on it and it was back...the verdict? “Nothing wrong with it”. NONSENSE! Charged me $90.00 because there was no hardware problem found. Nice. PLUS they got tape all over the top case,some ink on the bottom, they made it a MESS.

Called Apple. First guy said my 90 day telephone support was over, I told him it’s a hardware issue. Eventually got a real person (yes Apple has the horrible automated menus too), Josh. Nice guy. Explained my trouble. He had me walk through a few things, reseat the RAM, do the 5 second power button hold (what’s that do, reset PMU?) then had me download/install what looks like a new firmware update. He told me to test her out for 3 days and if it acts up again call with my case number and they’ll ship me a box. I told them to make they they note the case tape/ink damage. I am NOT happy with this service place I took it to. Anyway, We’ll see how this thing runs the next few days. Anyone else got the newer firmware update? 1.1 Does it seem to work?

Tom
There's a thread devoted to the 1.1 update, go take a look at it.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 08:38 AM

There's a thread devoted to the 1.1 update, go take a look at it.
Thanks, done that already! Hope it works, we'll see!

Tom

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2006, 08:43 AM

I'm quite suspicious of that update. I don't understand how it'll fix a hardware problem.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 09:08 AM

I'm quite suspicious of that update. I don't understand how it'll fix a hardware problem.

Maybe it ignores the sensor that kicks in the shutdown. A case of too many sensors spoiling the broth if you will. I'll know in a few days if it works, this is day one with the update for me.

Tom

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2006, 09:12 AM

Well if that sensor is to shut down when the laptop gets too hot and it's being ignored, thats ridiculous. Take 1 MacBook, for some reason it doesn't go to sleep, it gets put in a bag and goes on a 2 hour journey what you would get at the end is a nice fried MacBook because the sensor to detect overheating and shut it down has been disabled.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 09:32 AM

Well if that sensor is to shut down when the laptop gets too hot and it's being ignored, thats ridiculous. Take 1 MacBook, for some reason it doesn't go to sleep, it gets put in a bag and goes on a 2 hour journey what you would get at the end is a nice fried MacBook because the sensor to detect overheating and shut it down has been disabled.

Maybe it works in tandum with the fan to avoid that issue. I'm just speculating here...

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules