Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > starting to hate leopard..

starting to hate leopard..
kramer3380
Nov 13, 2008, 11:41 PM

I just "upgraded" my make from tiger to leopard and i have had nothing but problems. my computer is freezing and its reminding me of the old days when i used a pc. one thing that drives me crazy is every time my computer sleeps, when i wake it i cant connect to the internet. huge inconvenience. if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. i have plenty of hard drive space, over 2gigs of ram, and never had any problems with tiger. im starting to think i might just be better off switching back. i just want to be able to wake my computer and instantly be connected, not having to restart my computer. when i turn on my computer it connects right away.. its the sleep mode thats throwing it off some how.

Cold Warrior
Nov 13, 2008, 11:44 PM

Did you choose the upgrade option? Archive-install is the preferred method of installation.

kramer3380  (op)
Nov 13, 2008, 11:45 PM

I am pretty sure that is the one i installed.. 99% positive as a matter of fact

Cottontail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2008, 11:47 PM

Are you connecting wirelessly? In my experience, Leopard takes a bit longer than Tiger to reconnect when the computer wakes from sleep.

Cold Warrior
Nov 13, 2008, 11:49 PM

Which one, upgrade or archive-install? I mentioned both in the same line. Sorry.

kramer3380  (op)
Nov 13, 2008, 11:50 PM

yea im using airport. It is taking too long to connect to be some sort of delay, i think. when i try connecting using assisant i cant connect either, the only thing that seems to work for me is if i restart my computer. As you might imagine, this is not the best method to browse the web

kramer3380  (op)
Nov 13, 2008, 11:51 PM

I hit a button that said upgrade, would i have had to click something different to do archive install??

Cold Warrior
Nov 13, 2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by kramer3380 View Post
I hit a button that said upgrade, would i have had to click something different to do archive install??
Yeah, there's a button somewhere early in the process (maybe an Options or Customize button) to choose archive install. Apple mentions archive install briefly here.

Archive install is great because it preserves everything important (as long as you choose 'preserve users and network settings'.

I'd put your Leopard DVD back in your iMac, boot from the DVD, and reinstall the OS, this time choosing archive install. It'll preserve your applications, login name, network settings, etc., but -- importantly -- gives you a fresh System folder that tends to be far more stable and less problematic than what upgrade gives you.

kramer3380  (op)
Nov 14, 2008, 12:01 AM

ok ill give that a try.. but i wont be able to get that done til tomorrow afternoon. thanks for all your help. i hope this will work.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 03:41 AM

It's under the first "Options..." button that appears at the lower left.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2008, 09:11 AM

What happens to the plug-ins and other extensions and stuff that gets installed in your system folder (from programs like photoshop, fireworks, adobe......) if you do an archive install?

If you then have to go back and run the installers for these programs, doesn't defeat the purpose of doing an archive install?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
What happens to the plug-ins and other extensions and stuff that gets installed in your system folder (from programs like photoshop, fireworks, adobe......) if you do an archive install?

If you then have to go back and run the installers for these programs, doesn't defeat the purpose of doing an archive install?
There's a couple things to address here.

First off, if Adobe really is dropping anything into /System, they should be shot. Those should go in /Library no questions asked (Parallels in the exception here). But, if anything is in /System and doesn't get copied back over correctly, then it will be in a folder called "Previous System" and you can move everything back into place yourself. I'm quite certain you won't need to re-install any Adobe product if you archive and install, and it will clear up a lot of issues you may face when you upgrade.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2008, 12:30 AM

Remember that you have to upgrade the system after you install it. there are lots of bug fixes. Run "software update" under the apple menu before you do anything else.

Also Leopard starts to index all of your files - so right after the install it will be slow. it can take a couple of hours if you have lots of files!

As to waking from sleep, I find leopard much better than tiger about finding and maintaining network connections. - but many of the bug fixes were to address networking - so definitely run the updater first thing.

A few things archive and install does not get are unix settings from the /etc folder, so if you have special apache web server settings or entries in the hosts file, etc., you will need to re-do these or copy them from the previous system folder.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

kramer3380  (op)
Nov 16, 2008, 06:27 PM

I re-installed it using the archive and install and im still having the same problem. when i wake the computer from sleep i cant connect to the internet. and for some reason i cant use network assistant at all to connect. it always says there is a problem. i have to manually select the network from airport and hope that connects me. however from start up my computer automatically connects me. can someone please point me in the right direction??

Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 08:11 PM

well, don't hate Leopard, hate the experience you are having, because Leopard does work well for most. The fact that these problems recur could be some sort of hardware issue that might be manifesting by the software change? I'd get a second opinion from someone more knowledgeable, but it could be.

Cold Warrior
Nov 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

I re-installed it using the archive and install and im still having the same problem. when i wake the computer from sleep i cant connect to the internet. and for some reason i cant use network assistant at all to connect. it always says there is a problem. i have to manually select the network from airport and hope that connects me. however from start up my computer automatically connects me. can someone please point me in the right direction??
Have you moved System Preferences out of Applications/Utilities?

If not, try this first: create a new user account and see if the network rejoining issues persist. If they don't, then it's something wrong with your current user account.

If they do persist, try this: create a new network location (system prefs > network > location: new) where airport is your first and only option. Use this location from now on to see if it helps with the automatic rejoining.

By the way, with your wifi settings, are you using any kind of encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and/or hiding your SSID?

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2008, 06:52 PM

When I first upgraded to Leopard, I was using an AE--and had constant problems with connecting at home. But I never had problems at my different work locations. I then replaced the AE with a D-Link router, and all that stopped. It may not be the answer you were hoping for, but if you're using an Apple router, that may tip the hat--from my searches I found quite a number of users with Leopard having problems with Apple routers.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2008, 07:26 PM

I just "upgraded" my make from tiger to leopard and i have had nothing but problems. my computer is freezing and its reminding me of the old days when i used a pc. one thing that drives me crazy is every time my computer sleeps, when i wake it i cant connect to the internet. huge inconvenience. if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. i have plenty of hard drive space, over 2gigs of ram, and never had any problems with tiger. im starting to think i might just be better off switching back. i just want to be able to wake my computer and instantly be connected, not having to restart my computer. when i turn on my computer it connects right away.. its the sleep mode thats throwing it off some how.
"Over 2GB of RAM?" How much more than 2GB of RAM do you have?

If you have exactly 2GB, and can upgrade the RAM to 3GB or 4GB, based on the model that you have, this may be a solution.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Did you choose the upgrade option? Archive-install is the preferred method of installation.
Preferred by whom? Those who think that they know best?

Apple gives options and I don't recall Apple recommending the archive/install option over the upgrade option.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Are you saying this is bad advice?
Apple gives options and I don't recall Apple recommending the archive/install option over the upgrade option.
Unless you're having issues:
If you're having issues with your currently-installed version of Mac OS X, upgrading may not resolve those issues. Instead, you might benefit more from doing an Archive and Install installation (see "Archive and Install," below).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1545?viewlocale=en_US

Cold Warrior
Nov 17, 2008, 08:31 PM

By those that have to troubleshoot and fix all the problems caused by upgrades. If you've ever been around helping anyone at major point releases, you'd know that archive-install results in far fewer post-upgrade issues.

I don't think I know best in this case -- I do know best. Upgrade option:

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2008, 03:22 AM

You must be new here.

Welcome to Mac OS X.

How did you do with System 9 all these years?

James D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2008, 04:08 PM

I had this problem and found the soluton in Apple Discussions.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...418806#6418806

Open Terminal.

sudo ipfw flush

type password

type y

Problem fixed.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You must be new here.

Welcome to Mac OS X.

How did you do with System 9 all these years?
Oh. You must live here.

Sorry to disturb you. You must be one of those message board trolls whose posts are off-topic.

Is that how you greeted newbies in prison?:

"You must be new here.

Welcome to Cell Block 6."

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
By those that have to troubleshoot and fix all the problems caused by upgrades. If you've ever been around helping anyone at major point releases, you'd know that archive-install results in far fewer post-upgrade issues.

I don't think I know best in this case -- I do know best. Upgrade option:
I've used Macs for over ten years. I've never had a problem affiliated with simply upgrading. If this option were prone to problems, more often than not, I'm sure that Apple wouldn't recommend it. Although the archive/install option is there to possibly ensure a more efficient installation.

If I ever have a problem with an upgrade, I'm sure that I'll consider the archive/install.

Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 08:42 PM

Remind me again who the troll is?

Forum Links
Forum Rules